1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon Release D300 Firmware 1.3

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Mani, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Mani

Mani

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto - Canada
  2. In addition to the announcement of the D700, Nikon has revised the firmware of the D3 and D300. The latest D3 firmware adds new function button customization options though not the ones featured on the D700. In addition to these and a virtual horizon in live view mode, Nikon has also addressed the problem that some users experienced in which the battery indicator would incorrectly register an empty battery.
    This problem, which has come to be known as 'Dead Battery Syndrome,' has also been addressed in new firmware for the D300.

D3 firmware makes improvements to AF and Auto White Balance mode, as well as correcting for the battery indicator errors. Many of the other changes are subtle tweaks to menus and behavior, such as the decision to only all auto-rotate of images in playback mode, not in the review image that appears after shooting (as the camera must already be in the correct orientation to have taken the shot).

The only D700 feature to appear is the addition of a visualization of the virtual horizon function to live view mode. Other than this, the new function button customization options are not as extensive as its new baby brother. The D3 changes add three more options that can be assigned to the Function, Preview or AE-L/AF-L buttons. The only completely original option is the ability to scroll between shooting menu banks (user-defined presets) with a button press and turn of the control dial. The firmware also separates the image area (FX/DX/5:4) option into two, so that you can choose to either scroll between all three image sizes or just between FX and DX.

3. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    I wasn't having any issues with DBS but I upgraded today regardless.

4. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Has anyone else updated the firmware? Or should we wait a while before doing this.

5. Downloaded and installed the 1.03 firmware today. Seems to work just fine!

6. mfletch

mfletch

Jul 16, 2007
    Texas
    I've updated mine. It's quick and painless, but I didn't really notice that I gained anything. Anyone experiencing DBS able to confirm a fix with the FW?

7. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
    I did mine with no problems

8. So the question is ... has anyone received a DBS since updating?

9. I just updated as well and I had DBS problems before. Let's hope it doesn't do it this time.

10. jlcabral

jlcabral

Jul 12, 2008
    Colorado
    Firmware update fixed my problem

I'm a new D300 owner and new member of Nikon Cafe. I was getting the DBS when trying to use my Kenko 2X Teleconverter with my D300 and my 105mm macro lens. The firmware update fixed the problem, so I'm a happy camper.

Jan Cabral

11. No problem with my update, didn't have DBS problem before.

12. I updated even though I didn't have any problems with DBS.. Working great...
    The only thing I noticed is now when using the D300 in 14 bit mode, the shutter lags is virtually gone.
    Where the shutter lag was really noticeable before (14 bit), its almost instant as if I'm in 12 Bit mode...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.