1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Nikon releases new teaser video for their FF mirrorless!

Discussion in 'Nikon Z Mirrorless Forum' started by Jonathan F/2, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    • Like Like x 1
  3. eric d.

eric d.

Apr 19, 2018
    Germany
    Eric
    I nice to see.. i hope the autofocus is nearly to the A9, something like pro capture integrated and the EVF is fast enough (like the a9)

4. A couple of dates to keep in mind:
    1. Nikon was founded on 25 July, 1917. Therefore, last year, 2017, was their centennial year. The 101th anniversary is coming up in a couple of days.
    2. Photokina will be held from September 26 to 29 this year, 2018. Typically we'd expect a lot of new product announcements from mid August to mid and even late September ahead of Photokina. (Photokina has been held once every two years, in even years, but starting from 2019, it will become an annual event in May. The dates for 2019 will be from May 8 to 11.)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Interesting video ... I thought for a second I was watching an updated version of the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey ....

Should be an interesting announcement. I don't think I'm really going to be interested in a mirrorless camera, but I guess it's always possible!!

Ken

6. I'm going to be out of the country for the next three weeks, so that makes an announcement likely. I was in Russia when the Nikon 1 system was announced and first heard of it when I saw a huge banner in Red Square:

_JRT9763_sm.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I wasn't happy to see that during my once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to photograph Red Square (with my Nikon camera).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Large diameter mount.... could it simply be the good old F-mount, looking huge because the mirrorless body is much smaller than the usual Dxxx ?
    I hope so, because if we can't use our F-mount lens, and we have to buy new ones, I'll pass !
    I alread invested in the Nikon 1 serie, and they gone down the drain ! Caught once, OK, but twice... no way !

8. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    If the rumor sites are correct, the mount is different and Nikon has been working on a sophisticated F-mount adapter. We should know for sure sometime within the next couple of months.

9. Nikon was trying to protect their DSLR sales with the Nikon 1. I don't think they'll make that same mistake. Rumor has it this will be a new mount, but a high quality F-mount adapter should be available at least with AF-S G type and E type lenses.

10. I think it is very interesting!! I have loved a lot of things about shooting mirrorless, Hope the new camera has the best of both worlds!!

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Administrator

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Nice analysis by Tony Northrup:

12. I'm excited! Not sure why yet though :) 

Seriously though a new mount will turn out to be a blessing with more possibilities and the promise of shorter and lighter lenses for the new native mount. The adapter to Nikon F will be there so that we over the years can fill in the blanks and still have the cake and eat it.

The lasting impression of my Canon M5 is that I prefer the new smaller mirror less lenses and rarely use the adapter although it works well.

13. Janabi

Janabi

Jul 22, 2018
    Dubai

As per the attached screen shot from Nikon Australia , Yes they are working on adapter that will work with the Nikon F Mount :) 

Development of a next-generation full-frame mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses—featuring a new mount—that pursues a new dimension in optical performance – Product News - Nikon Australia

Attached Files:

14. Large diameter mount = possible medium format development to come?

15. I can think of a couple reasons to be excited. Several benefits such as: More precise focus especially wide open, no need for lens calibrations; faster FPS; full sensor AF coverage; advanced lens designs optimized for the new mount, etc. Though I can see some negatives as well such as: potentially slower camera wake times and quicker battery drain. Saying that, I think the pros outweigh the cons! :D 

16. Nikon can also go smaller with an APS-C sensor and sell a lower cost mirrorless option. This new mount will have lots of potential for scalability!

17. Smaller is the linchpin for me.....were there substantial physical size reductions without impacting Nikon's IQ, I would return to the fold.

18. Since this body is thought to be FX and potential buyers are looking forward to f0.95/f1/f1.2 lenses, if they are right, I do not see much smaller from Nikon at this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I would not have been happy either to see that banner in Red Square. I was fortunate on my first trip there. It was in December and the square was covered with snow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.