1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon Repair Problems

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by wbeem, Jul 9, 2008.

1. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I just got off the phone with Green's Camera Tech about my 18-200 VR. They still don't have the part from Nikon. I dropped the lens off with them on May 23rd. According to the rep on the phone, Nikon is having problems across the board. It's not just lenses, but they can't get parts for camera, whatever.

Any clues as to why Nikon is having so much difficulty producing and delivering parts to repair shops? She says they've spoken with other authorized repair centers across the country and they're all facing the same problem.

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Perhaps they are just telling you that to get the monkey off their back. Can't be sure. You may want to ask Nikon?

3. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    What sense would that make? They don't get paid until they repair the lens and return it to me.

4. I sent off three pieces to Nikon (Melville, NY) earlier this year. The D100 required some part replacements. That took over two months to get back. They replaced even more than I thought needed replacing, but the camera works perfectly. The D200 and 70-200 required some major part replacements (dropped them while connected to one another). That took about 3-4 weeks to get them back and both work perfectly. Could depend on the model of camera or lens and the specific components needed to make the necessary repairs. Some parts may be stocked in larger quantities than others based on general volumes.

5. I just ordered some parts from El Segundo, all of them teensy knobs and washers and what not. Every part came except one that was listed as back-ordered.

Sean

6. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I got a call from Green's Camera Tech this afternoon. Nikon said they'd have the lens element to them by July 22nd. Then a few days after that for them to do the repair & test, I may actually get my 18-200 VR back by the end of the month.

That's a fair wait from the 5/23 dropoff date, but at least now I have some idea when I'll get it back. At $300 for the repair, it's still less than half the price of buying a replacement. If anything, I'm more annoyed that I didn't know better than to buy this thing from Broadway Photo (grey market). Otherwise, I think this repair would be free.

7. As another data point, on 2 June I sent Nikon Melville an 18-200VR for tightening and adjustment, and a 35/2 that would not meter correctly. The 18-200 came back in about three weeks, but they still have the 35/2, and all I am told is that a technician is working on it. Meanwhile, I'm going to Alaska without it. :mad: 

8. Buy another. Then, when the old one is returned, offer it on the For Sale forum. The 35/2 is in high demand, so it might cost you $50 to upgrade to a new one... and you'll have one for your holiday.

9. Nice suggestion, Frank. Unfortunately, I must depart the premises at 0830 tomorrow to catch an 11:30 flight to Anchorage.

10. Not a problem. They have camera stores in Alaska :wink:.

Stewarts is an authorized Nikon dealer.

11. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    My daughter's Nikon Coolpix LCD broke, under the warranted period, but not warrantied. Took from March 11 to May 29 to get it back... they also said they were having a problem with parts.... go figure...to me that's a long time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.