Nikon Repair Problems

Yes, it seems a bit archaic!! They have my email address. Wouldn't it be cheaper for them to send off an email. I don't understand their method.

Well, Nikon is not the only "archaic" company out there. Ticketmaster will email your tickets via Snail Mail for free, but they charge $2.50, I believe, to send them to you via email. If Nikon followed this method, you would be charged $15.00 for every non-existent email they forgot to send you for which they sent an email 3 days after your camera arrives. Go ahead, parse that sentence, I dare you ;)

Each time I have sent something to Nikon for repair, the online status will change to "shipped" along with a tracking number the next day after it ships. Nikon only updates the online status once a day (usually around 6am). So if it were to ship today, you should see the status change tomorrow along with a tracking number.

I had a problem with lag repairing a lens a couple of years ago. The status wasn't updating on the site. So I called Nikon CS and found a rep (formerly from NYC but now living in Dom Rep) who I made my advocate for moving along the repair. I haven't read your entire thread but it would help to get a CS rep involved who could expedite/escalate your repair. Mention you are a prolific poster on a well read bulletin board like this and you may get a quicker turn around. ;)

You catch on fast :)
Or it could mean, shipped yesterday! ;)
Or it could mean, shipping in two weeks....who knows!! Oh, well, better than in the estimate stage.
Well, Nikon is not the only "archaic" company out there. Ticketmaster will email your tickets via Snail Mail for free, but they charge $2.50, I believe, to send them to you via email. If Nikon followed this method, you would be charged $15.00 for every non-existent email they forgot to send you for which they sent an email 3 days after your camera arrives. Go ahead, parse that sentence, I dare you ;)
Yikes!!
Each time I have sent something to Nikon for repair, the online status will change to "shipped" along with a tracking number the next day after it ships. Nikon only updates the online status once a day (usually around 6am). So if it were to ship today, you should see the status change tomorrow along with a tracking number.
Good to know, thanks!! I love to check tracking info so I can be home when packages come.
I had a problem with lag repairing a lens a couple of years ago. The status wasn't updating on the site. So I called Nikon CS and found a rep (formerly from NYC but now living in Dom Rep) who I made my advocate for moving along the repair. I haven't read your entire thread but it would help to get a CS rep involved who could expedite/escalate your repair. Mention you are a prolific poster on a well read bulletin board like this and you may get a quicker turn around. ;)
How did you make someone your advocate? I am fine for a week or so more without my camera, but we want to go snowshoeing in Teton Park and I don't want to go without my DSLR....then I have three grandchildren with February birthdays....got to have the camera for that. It's only been gone for two weeks so far. That isn't too bad, yet.....

Teri, just give them that story you wrote above. That should do it!
I already told them my sob story. The person I talked to was nice, but didn't seem too interested in apologizing for the lack of communication on their part. It's ok now. I think I may have overreacted a bit. It's really not that big of a deal. Hopefully my camera will be back soon.

Actually, I just talked too Nikon. I'm surprised because they replaced the shutter mechanism, cleaned the camera, adjusted the autofocus, and bayonet mount. All I sent it in for was a good cleaning. They said it would be sent out tomorrow or Monday. It is being checked out in quality control now.

Sounds like they took good care of it Terri! ;)
I guess they are trying to make things right for their D600 customers. I had heard they were replacing some shutters, but I didn't think they would replace mine since I didn't have any oil on the sensor.
Let us know when you get it back, Terri.
Will do!! I will let everyone know how it is working (although it was working ok before I sent it in....just a dirty sensor).

I guess they are trying to make things right for their D600 customers. I had heard they were replacing some shutters, but I didn't think they would replace mine since I didn't have any oil on the sensor.
Good to hear. My P&S P7700 has just changed to in shop, warranty repair. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Oh wait, not the correct euphemism.

Even NikonUSA may understand that when they have a D600 on the bench prophylactic shutter replacement is cost effective. Probably no one can tell if a given shutter will develop the problem somewhere down the road. Fix it now & avoid the labor cost of having to tear down the camera again.

Even NikonUSA may understand that when they have a D600 on the bench prophylactic shutter replacement is cost effective. Probably no one can tell if a given shutter will develop the problem somewhere down the road. Fix it now & avoid the labor cost of having to tear down the camera again.
You are probably right.... So should everyone with a D600 should send in their camera before the warranty expires?

Latest threads

Top Bottom