Nikon Repair Wants to Replace my D700

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by NostalgicDad, May 17, 2017.

1. I've sent in my D700 to Nikon for some general cleaning, grip replacement, and exposure issues. They provided me with a cost of non-warranty repairs which I paid. Came out to $175. I just received a call from them stating that they are unable to get some parts that are no longer manufactured. In turn, they are offering me a factory refurbed D750 at no extra cost.

I've had my D700 for 7 years and love it. One big issue will be that my MB-D10 battery pack will not work with the D750. And for my shooting, I desperately need that, mainly for shooting portrait orientation on the fly. I haven't priced the newer packs but I'm sure at least $400 for that.

I do "like" some features of the D750 that are missing on the D700, such as wifi and video. The double megapixel count means nothing to me though and it concerns me a bit with the lack of the flash sync port for off camera flash. I don't use that on a regular basis but can be an issue down the road I'm sure. What would you do in this scenario? Keep the D700, accept the refurbed D750, or ask for something more?

2. I would see if they would help me with a price for the D750 grip and take the D750. Nikon B-16 is $345 but some 3rd party ones are less than $90.
    If you have issues with the D700 it can only get worse.
    If you really want a D700 Roberts Camera, a very good seller, has one on their ebay site for $705.

• Like Like x 1
  3. That actually sounds like a fair deal from Nikon Service, considering some of the concerns I have heard in the past.

Take the D750 and enjoy in my opinion.

4. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Seems like a good deal to me as well. Used D700 and grip estimate worth less than $700.

Refurb Nikon D750 body $1,555.
    Flash sync port $20 or the SC 29 at higher cost.

Fuller feature set with the newer camera and by some accounts a big improvement - personally I would go for it and see if you could get anywhere with a refurb grip or discount

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I would take the refurbished camera. It sounds like a good deal for you.

6. You'll get a state-of-the-art sensor with the D750. Go for it.

7. Yup, great deal. And you won't miss the flash synch port.

8. You should ask if they can provide a grip for the D750 as well. Doesn't hurt to ask! :)

9. That's a far better deal than I got from Nikon Service.
    Take it before they change their mind.

10. just to add my 2 cents - I'd go for the refurb too - Nikon reps told me that cameras older than 5 yrs old won't be repaired. I currently have 4 cameras that I"m on edge about - 3 of them are cams that my kids use.

11. Take it and run. The D700 is a great camera ( I still have one as a backup), but it't not a D750. $175 to upgrade is a bargain.

12. Jeep Captain

Jeep Captain

Jan 28, 2009
    Indiana
    The questions is: why are you hesitating? Refurbished is not a problem. I've purchased a couple lenses and two bodies that were referbs. For me, I wouldnt have thought twice about that deal. You can sell your MB-D10. On Amazon, used ones are going for about $100. For the cost of a new battery pack minus about $100, you have a what is basically a new camera....No brainer.

13. TN Args

TN Args

Mar 16, 2017
    Take it and run

14. jonahex2099

jonahex2099

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I own a D750, and have only used a D700 once - I concur with above, take the D750. I actually had planned to sell my D750 when I picked up my D810 but have since decided to keep it. It is a FANTASTIC camera.

15. Take the 750 asap
    Used grips are cheap now

16. D.RicPhoto

D.RicPhoto

Mar 28, 2009
    IL
    The D700 is one of the best cameras Nikon made for digital. I gave mine to my son-in-law because the weight was becoming to much. I would go with the D750. So similar yet so different. Try and ask for a grip or at least a big discount on one. If parts are becoming scarce at least you would have a working camera.

17. Thanks for all the great responses. I think it's an easy decision for sure. But guess what, I just called in to accept the offer. They are actually offering me either the D750 or a D810. I can't believe they are actually giving me the option of the D810 as well now.......

• Like Like x 1
  18. D810 for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. D810 hands down, don't hesitate.

20. Yep, I went with the D810. Also asked for the MB-D12 to be included......had to ask regardless. No answer on that yet though.