Nikon Sale ?

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by Owenh, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owenh

Owenh

Nov 24, 2006
    Hueytown, Al.
    I know this has asked before, but here goes. Why are alot of people selling
    off all their Nikon equipment ? Do they think Cannon is better ? I don't think
    so. It just seems strange, a camera is a camera. I don't know whole lot about
    my camera, still learning . I still like my Nikon, and I am not going switch to
    another brand. I have never owned anything but a Nikon. I still don't understand why people do that.

2. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    First, it's Canon, not Cannon. Why are they changing? Well, a few pros are changing with legitimate reasons due to low noise handling of the two cameras, so no, a camera is not necessarily just a camera, they each have a distinct set of defined capabilities. It just so happens, that Canon systems are able to deliver respectible if not stellar performance in low light situations where Nikon is just behind.

That said, for many many types of photography, Nikon is either as good if not better, and in the right hands is as capable as any system around. Many of these people changing do so with heavy heart, they leave behind a lot of system experience, and I am sure didn't take this move lightly-

Some people just love changing gear/sides and continuously change something. It happens.

3. photographix

photographix Guest

I agree

with most of that. for what I shoot Nikon fits my hand better.
    I had an eos elan and an F4s. the Nikon just felt more like my camera.
    if that makes any sense.:biggrin:
    it just depends on what sort of shooting your going to do.
    in studio I'll take the Nikon every time.
    but I have had some times in the Field
    when there was just to much noise.
    and wandered what A canon might have done.
    but not enough for me to switch.
    I really don't think it mater's that much
    there is alway going to be one more "thing"
    I see great pic's from both camp's....rick​

4. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Plus who knows what surprises Nikon might come up with in the near future. Maybe those Canonites might be changing and jumping ship.

5. I believe the models the new Canon converts are buying are better than the Nikon models nearest to those price points. But keep in mind that the folks that are switching are mostly pros and well heeled advanced hobbyists, and they are buying cameras in the $3,500 to $6000 range to replace their d2xes. At the less than $2,000 price point, nothing that outperforms the d200 imho. And if history is any guide, it'll soon be Nikon's turn to jump ahead in the ongoing game of camera leapfrog.

6. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Realistically speaking, Nikon has not really leap frogged Canon in the pro level. Sadly, I don't know if they ever will at this rate.

7. Aww, comon now. The d2h and the d2x made big splashes when they were announced in July '03 and January '04, respectively. There was a lot of moaning on the Canon forums that the 1D Mark II, also annnounced in January '04, didn't match up.... so Canon upgraded to the 1DS Mark II in September.

8. Whatever their reason's for switching were the sheer number of people switching has caused me lose faith in the Nikon brand in general.

I hope I'm wrong but, as I have said in other posts, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nikon has decided it would just be financial sensible to just abandon to pro user market and concentrate on consumer products such as the D40, D40X and D80.

9. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    nikon needs a full frame camerra.

10. OwenH,
    Just FYI this thread should have been posted in the "Other Cameras" section so don't be surprised when a moderator moves it there or if they choose to lock out this thread.

1. I only mention where it should be because there was another thread posted recently with pretty much the same question and that is were it was moved to.

2. I mention that this thread will most likely be locked out because any discussion about Canon seems to turn ugly after awhile.

Lets hope this one stays more civil than the last.

11. Nikon is slow in bringing new pro cameras and lenses to the market.
    I'm hoping by November they bring out at least a few new items.
    It's frustrating to visit their web site and see nothing new beisdes consumer grade cameras.

When they bring out new equipment, the quality of build and ease of menu navigation is worth the wait.

12. Folks, at one point it has all been said...geezzzz

At the end of the day:
    - Shoot with your Nikon and be happy
    - Shoot with your Canon and be happy
    - If you enjoy photography, you're my friend (and I don't give a rat's behind about what you're shooting with) - Let's enjoy the image.

Why linger on and on and on about this? (I can't imagine I'm even posting in this thread, waste of bandwidth).

13. Fred,
    You are correct on all accounts.

I would suggest to the OP that if you know something has been asked before, that you then try using the search function to read up on that topic and see what has recently been said. This thread is being moved.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  14. I recently shot a wedding with a girl who was using a Rebel XTi. She asked me to see if I could make sense of the flash settings but I couldn't make heads or tails out of that menu. Granted a Canon user probably would know where to check it but I should have been at least been able to locate a flash compensation button somewhere I would think. The menu was dark and poorly arranged and it was the worst menu I ever saw next to the menu on a Sony A100.

The only reason I bother to even mentioning it is while I was trying to understand her Canon I handed her my D200 so we wouldn't miss any shots and even though she had never held one in her hands before she was able to shoot with it and make a few quick exposure adjustments!!

Now that is one perfectly designed body!!

15. thebac

thebac

Jul 23, 2007
    US
    The 1D Mark II was a direct competitor to the D2H at the time. Given the specs, it was way ahead of the D2H (and still is way ahead of the D2Hs). It has a higher frame rate, much higher resolution, and less noise. The only spec the D2H outperforms the 1D Mark II on in any significant way is the larger RAW buffer (of course it helps if your files are only 4MP vs. 8MP).

There was some moaning that the 1D Mark II N wasn't much better than the 1D Mark II, but the 1D Mark II was already way ahead of its newer Nikon competitor, the D2Hs (which, like the N, was a refinement rather than a revolutionary advancement).

Also, Canon's upgrade on the 1Ds isn't related to upgrades in the 1D. As in the Nikon world, the 1D and 1Ds serve different markets (just as the D2H and D2X do).

16. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Its mostly a timing thing. Nikon will catch up in the areas where canon leads. I'm sure of that, But some pros cant wait , because time is money.

Me , I can wait.

17. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckdamascus
    Realistically speaking, Nikon has not really leap frogged Canon in the pro
    level. Sadly, I don't know if they ever will at this rate.

Agreed.

18. I will remind you all of this rule:

There has been plenty of Canon-Nikon disucssion lately, you can reference the thread "Why the switch" to answer the question initially posed in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007