Nikon School

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sommer, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Has anyone attended the Nikon School courses, and if so, would you be willing to share your impressions of them? I'm looking at Introduction to Digital SLR Photography and Streamlined Workflow Techniques.

If you took either of these courses, at what "level" of photography were you when you took them? Did you feel they were worth the money, worth your time? Have you read books or found online resources that provided the same information the courses did, or did the experience of working with the instructors provide something more than you can get from a book or online tutorial? As a relative beginner, would I be in over my head with these classes? I've had one very basic photography class through community ed, and that's all.

The cost of the courses and the time commitment are tough for me, and I'd really appreciate hearing about others' experiences. At this point I'm leaning toward taking them, and I guess I want to hear either 'yes, they were invaluable to me' or 'no, if you go buy these books and read these articles you'll get the same info for less money, with no travel involved.'

Input, anyone?

And totally OT, I just ran a 5k tonight! Years ago I all but destroyed my knees and shins with lots of street running, and I'm just now working my way back....ever so slowly....to being able to run again! So excited I just had to share!

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Sommer:

I have no info give you about the Nikon School, but I do want to congratulate you on your accomplishment. You deserve it! You must be feeling awfully good right about now! :D

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Sommer,

I attended the two Nikon school classes earlier this year and enjoyed them both. The Digital 101 class was designed specifically for the D70 shooter. The two gentlemen that ran the class showed the audience the ins and outs of the D70, while adapting the information to the rest of the Nikon line including the P&S series. The second day, Digital Workflow, was very good as well and dealt with Nikon Capture and Picture Perfect (and a little PhotoShop). The instructors showed techniques on how to enhance digital files with each of the programs and received many ooooohs and aaaaahs from the audience. So, my recommendation...sign up for both classes. There are plenty of little tips that you will benefit from and the instructors are eager to answer questions during the breaks. It is money well spent...bring plenty of paper to take notes!!! There was a Nikon rep there as well with plenty of bodies and lenses to play with. He had free catalogs and copies of Nikon's magazine to give away.

4. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Sommer - I'll second Frank's recommendation. I only attended the second class (last year) and got a lot out of it. It really helped with my understanding of Nikon Capture.

5. I commend you on wanting to get more education and from what I have heard, the Nikon school classes are good.

Way to go with the 5K Sommer.

6. Sommer, congrats on the 5K run. That's tough on the body. I could walk 10K easy (I speedwalk 4.5 mph on the treadmill), I could probably walk 25K but running?? nawwww, can't do that, tried it and nearly died an embarrassing death in public! *LOL*

All the power to you, girl! Did anyone get any pics at the the finish line??!!! LOL

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Congrat's on the 5K Sommer. Sure makes you feel good physically and mentally, huh?

8. I'm actually attending a Nikon Training session at the beginning of September since I work for Ritz Camera. It's pretty much for their DSLR lineup. From what I heard, it's supposed to be similiar to the classes they hold. Should definitely be interesting. I have always wanted to attend their sessions, but never had the money when they became available to enroll.