Nikon SD-8A Battery Pack or ???

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by VvvJRvvV, Sep 14, 2008.

1. VvvJRvvV

VvvJRvvV

Jan 27, 2008
    Maryland
    I am trying to work on a setup for more flash with less changing batteries. I have seen a few of the guys setups with these and they were not using the 5th battery on their SB-800's. Do you have to take the 5th battery out or doesn't it make that much difference? 10 vs. 11 batteries, wow that is still a mess of batteries.

Is there anything else that can be used? You would think you could hook up an external battery pack with no other batteries and fire away. Similar to what the old sunpacks used to use.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

2. The SD-8A powers just the high voltage capacitor that fires the flash tube, so the internal flash batteries are needed to power the control and display functions. I expect that you could continue to use the 5th battery, but there may or may not be any advantage to doing so. If you are just looking for more flashes and quicker recycle times are not a priority you can go with an external pack that powers everything like the Jacobs Black Box. The Black Box connects to the flash via dummy batteries that replace the batteries in the flash. You get many more flashes but recycle time is the same as with the regular internal batteries.

Quantum makes a similar unit to the Black Box. Quantum also makes several high voltage packs that function similar to the SD-8A, but at higher voltage. They give you the untimate in quick recycle times but require caution to avoid damage to the flash. They also void any flash warranty.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008