1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon Service Estimates

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Baywing, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Just curious if anyone has received an estimate from Nikon Service that was eventually lowered due to the fact they didn't have to fix as much as they thought when the estimate was generated?

2. I have a vague recollection that that happened to me once, but I can't document it.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Nope. The estimate was generally the price, unless the price went up!

4. never for me but also never any more than the estimate

5. Their estimates have always been pretty accurate for me.

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I took a bad fall with some of my gear last weekend and there are only a couple of small scrapes on the lens. I decided to send the gear in to get checked, and filled out the form on their website which gave me estimates of over $1300 total for the body and lens. I was talking with a guy just recently who sent his lens in that had been dropped and literally broke in 2. The price he paid (same as his estimate) was the same $663 that I was quoted, without Nikon even having my gear in it's possession. I guess I'll have to wait to see what they find, but if they don't find anything wrong, I'm going to have a problem with being charged the estimated amount. I don't mind paying them to check it out, but it should be a reasonable amount.

7. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Hope YOU are OK. And hope there is little damage to the gear also.

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, the gear faired better than I did. Funny, in my younger days I would take whatever hit needed to save the gear. Today, I'd happily write a $1300 check to make my body better. Landed hard on my knees in ballast (sharp rocks found between RR ties) and rolled onto my left shoulder which hit the rail, jamming my left thumb into the ballast in the process. When my body stopped, my head didn't and hyper-extended a bunch of neck muscles from my jaw into my right shoulder and back. Getting old sucks.....

9. YIKES! :eek:  That sounds most painful just reading about it. Heal my friend, heal!

10. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Was this after taking Valley RR #40? Regardless, I wish you a speedy recover! Gear can be repaired or replaced, but our bodies don't bounce well at all!

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, neck is the worst part, I keep re-injuring when I sleep.

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    No, last weekend I stopped by just to drop off a couple of prints to the engineers from the previous shoot. Rain was moving in for the evening so I wasn't planning on being out with the lights as they don't like getting wet (nasty electrical explosions). Just hanging around talking and not looking where I was walking. There was a step box in a place where nothing is usually placed....the rest is now history. I used to bounce pretty good, now it's more like a thrown sack of 'taters, just lands with a thud. thanks

13. I think Nikon has a limited number of price ranges. It was cost $xyz for a variety of damages. Also, Nikon always brings the damages lens/camera back to "like new" working condition, meaning they do things like clean and adjust the focus no matter what.

14. "Impact Damage" is where they get you! :banghead: 

15. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Sounds like Warren has impact damage! :eek: 

16. :D :D :D 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.