Nikon Service Turn-Around time (70-200)?

While shooting a wedding on Saturday I noticed (even on the screen of my D700 when zoomed in) that some - approx. 30-50%) of my outdoor mid-day sun lit shots were coming out soft. Back-focusing or front-focusing. Some just seemed almost like there were two images of the image put together, but not lined up properly. I've never, ever had this problem with my 70-200. It has always been flawless. I was shooting on my D700, ISO 200, shutter speeds of 1/250 - 1/1000, and anywhere f/2.8-f/4, and anywhere from 70mm to 200mm. Anyone else experienced this problem? I just found it odd that my shots were hit or miss. They've always been tack sharp, but this day in particular, they were either tack sharp, or they just looked "off".

When I got home, I uploaded and sure enough the images I thought were "off" were definitely off. Even by 8x10 standards, still a quality image. But just not like they have been since I purchased the lens in January.

Anyway, I'm sending it in for a check-up with Nikon service via Fed-Ex overnight to get there nice and early tomorrow morning.

Will I get it back by NEXT weekend? I have a wedding I'm assisting with on June 4th.

unfortunately, I doubt you'll get it back by next weekend. Nikon likes to take their time when it comes to repairs, and it took them about 3 weeks to repair mine. But then again, it really depends on the severity of the repair and how busy they are. Keep your fingers crossed.

Wow. I thought for stuff like this their turn-around time would be better. Sheesh. Per Nikon's site they say 7-10 days turn around time. That's really frustrating. I just dropped it in the FedEx box outside my office so there's no going back now and this weekend is the only weekend I don't have some sort of shoot planned, so it's the best weekend to be without it. Still, let's hope for the best!

I sent my 70-200 in for service back around the first of the year. (also my D300 & 17-55) For them to check the stuff, my approval, then for them to repair the stuff and shipped back, it was 4 weeks or so. I was out of town when I got the estimate so that did delay everything a few days until I got back with them.

I bet with your 70-200 it will take about 2 weeks.

Are you with NPS? They can help you.

If not, and you need to make that shoot and need that lens, I'd suggest renting one.

It may actually only be 7-10 days for them to turn it around. But that does not include time it takes to ship it into them. They usually take a day just to get it sorted into their system. Then they send out the estimate and request for approval if there's money involved, in which case you need to respond ASAP. Then they'll start working on it. Then there is shipping time back to you again.

Plus there is the Memorial Day weekend in between so a day will be lost there.

I had Nikon work on a lens and body, sent them in the same time. I think I shipped it on a Monday, they got it on Thursday. They fixed the lens under warranty (they thought the body was fine -- it was questionable what was the problem). So there was no approval process. I think they had it fixed by the following week's Friday, but then had to ship it back to me the Monday after that. So it took about two weeks.

Per Nikon's site they say 7-10 days turn around time.

thats business days, and usually only the repair time, so not including the shipping time. im close enough for local dropoff, and my stuff gets back to me within five business days (dropoff monday, pickup friday).

Dang. I still can't believe they don't have a Bay Area service center. The nearest centers are in Sacramento and Southern California, 2 hours or 7 hours away. Very lame indeed.

Eitherway, they'll have the lens tomorrow, and hopefully have the estimate to me by Wednesday. I can approve *what should be warranty work* and they can turn it around. Would be a really bummer if I had to spend 25% of what I'd made (50% of my take home) as a second shooter just to rent a lens I already own.

Guess I need to buy two of everything. :Biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom