1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon Service Update

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Baywing, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Just some info you might want to note if you are thinking of sending gear in for repair.
    I sent my D850 to NY last week, it arrived at Nikon on 10/26. As of now, 10/31, it has yet to be unpacked. I was told they are "very busy" due to the upcoming holidays. I recall them being "very busy" at many other times of the year as well, so not sure when a good time to send stuff in is. I was told they are working on packages delivered on 10/24 so they should get to writing mine up in a couple of days.
    I am wondering if dropping it off in person gets it into the queue faster.

2. I'm trying to understand what the upcoming holidays have to do with repair backlog?

3. Perhaps more people have sent in items to be cleaned and inspected, or repaired, in preparation for the holiday season? Just a guess.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    According to the service rep, people are taking their cameras out of storage and checking them for the upcoming holidays. Sending them in for service to be sure they are working properly. I don't buy what he was trying to sell.

5. Thanks for the heads up. Holiday backlog never would occur to me for service. I've got a body that I need to send in but may wait till the first of the year. No big shoots planned the rest of the year plus I've got back up.

6. Sounds a bit far fetched to me, but that's me ;) .

7. If you have NPS status, you'll get priority. The other option is to send it to an authorized 3rd party repair facility like APS or Precision repair. Both honor Nikon warranties and usually have a 1 week turn-around repair time.

8. It’s time consuming to open those boxes, drop the contents on the floor a few times before checking the “impact damage” box on the form.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    It has now been over 1 week and they have yet to open the box. Not a satisfactory level of service. I have heard that an NPS member is going on 2 weeks on a lens repair, also at Melville.

10. Mirrors my experience with Nikon Melville.

11. I am not happy to hear this. Getting ready to send my D850 in on Monday. For what it's worth I have had only good experiences with Nikon Melville in the past. Sent my D5 in for a repair a month ago, and they had it on its way back to me a week after they received it.

12. bmell

bmell

Feb 11, 2009
    Nebraska
    I just sent my broken D800e to APS yesterday. It's a backup camera and I'm less busy this time of year, so off it went. Who knows why repairs come when they do.

13. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Mostly they are ok, but every once in a while this stuff happens. This is the worst I've seen it, prior to this the longest delay in getting an SO # has been 2 days. I know they give NPS priority, maybe lots of NPS repairs after the World Series? Based on what I was told on Wed, they should have opened the box yesterday, but still no SO# so they seem to be falling farther behind rather than catching up.

14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I finally got a SO number this morning, 7 working days after they received it.

15. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The D850 is back, 2 weeks to the day which is their norm. Better yet, it appears to be fixed. Most of my settings were intact, will have to check the AF Fine tune settings to be sure they didn't adjust something.

16. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    I sent in my D750 after a mishap with me and my camera... some heavy repair work required, I sent it last Friday, they replied on Monday, the repair quote and that it would take 3-5 days to do the repairs. (Camera and I Fell, the lens broke off the body and both (lens and body) ended up in a creek. $465 to repair it and 3-5 days. As this would not be warranty, I sent to APS.

17. In the end, that's not too bad. Hope they got it fixed right.

Ouch! After that I'm surprised it is even repairable.

18. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    I agree.. I had gone out and purchased a new body and insurance paid off on the one.. now I am returning the new body (boxes never opened) and have a D750 and will purchase a Refurb D810. The lens, the Tammy 24-70 G2 was non-repairable, insurance paid for that and Tamron offered me a replacement (Refurb) for $600 or 50% the cost of a new one.

But glad the only breaks were on the gear, not my body

19. It's not really that far fetched and you can add the Pros that have been waiting for the end of the wedding season to send in their gear in preparation for the holiday season. I mainly shot Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, I would often time when I sent gear in with the end of season (the end of June).

20. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I got to thinking it could be pros sending in gear after the World Series. NPS always gets priority. I thought I was in front of that curve, but I guessed wrong. The repair was quick once they got to it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.