1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon service!!!!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by itsmike, Aug 8, 2008.

1. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    I took my D300 in for a cleaning.. I had a Spec of dust on my sensor that I could not get rid of.. So I took it in to the Melville office and explained that my wife is about to pop any day now.. So they took it in right away and cleaned it on the spot for me.. I was Thrilled!!!! Great service.. The only thing is that they updated my Firmware and now I cant get 8FPS with out the Expensive battery anymore..

2. fivegrand

fivegrand Guest

Yep - Melville's service turnaround is awesome.

One of my D2H's shutter exploded, I sent it off on Monday, they pretty much rebuilt the whole camera (new shutter, metering CCD, card slot door, grip surfaces, aperture control assembly) and I had it back on Friday, the total cost being less than $50 (and that was for the shipping).

3. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Yes!!!! The Melville office in my view is outstanding..........quick turnaround, professional service. Since I work near the area, I hand carry my stuff for service, and pick up.

4. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    8 FPS w/o grip? Did they put a different firmware out that I didn't know about for the D300?

5. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Assuming you have the grip, can't you get 8 fps with AAs?

6. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Do a search on this site.. There was a few settings that you did and was able to get it.. It worked fine until the upgrade..

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Firmware updates often reset settings to default values. I'd check the settings.

8. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Travelr

Travelr

Aug 23, 2007
    New York
    I've had three experiences, two drop-offs and one mail-in, all with Melville. Whether repair, warranty or just a cleaning, I found the turnaround to be very fast, the information to be accurate, and the service to be excellent!

10. gvg45

gvg45

Jun 16, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    How much did they charge you for a sensor cleaning?

11. My D300 is going to Melville tomorrow for service to repair/reset or whatever they have to do to get the autofocus to work correctly. I hope they don't keep it as long as they kept my 70-200 VR (never focused at f/2.8 from factory)-6weeks, and my 80-400 Vr which had to be repaired when dropped two months!. Always waiting for parts.

12. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    The First one was Free.. after that I think he said $49

13. gvg45

gvg45

Jun 16, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Thats good to know as I have heard the first cleaning can be the worst on a D3. With the El Segundo location less than an hour drive from me I think I will bring it to them for the first one.

14. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Call first! Make sure it is free to you, I did tell him about my Prego wife that is about to go any day now.. I don't know if that is what made him do it for free and same day..

15. gvg45

gvg45

Jun 16, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Will do, but even if it is $49, that doesnt seem too bad considering some of the horror stories I have been reading of users and their first time sensor cleaning.

BTW, congratulations on the news of your new addition to your family.

16. mathjak107

mathjak107

Mar 20, 2007
    nyc
    melville is taking care of a problem that surfaced on my d80 2 months out of warranty and doing it as a warranty repair as i learned yesterday,,,,

17. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Sent my D300 to Melville today for a sensor cleaning. $28.00 plus return shipping of $12.00.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.