Nikon Service

My latest experience with Nikon Service was a great departure from the norm, in a good way. I sent my D810 for service last Thurs, they received it last friday. The same day, they issued a Service Order number and e-mailed it to me. Paperwork indicated they were honoring the warranty, no need for me to argue the point as in the past.
They kept posting timely updates to their web and it was back to me on Wed this week, a total of 6 days, two of which were shipping, 2 were weekend. I've never had a faster turn around from melville. The repair was done and they also replaced the lens mount (didn't know it had a problem) and did their usual clean and adjust. It took me a while to re-do my custom settings and the af fine tune but all seems well.
I hope this is a good sign of things moving forward....

I have had more than one problem with Nikon Melville, the most recent detailed in this thread. They kept my 300/4 AFS for over a month with minimal and confusing correspondence. In the end I was satisfied with the result, but there was no explanation of why it took so long.

Your experience, Baywing, sounds very encouraging. Hope they've turned a corner.

Never had a issue with the service center out here in Los Angeles. I usually walk right in when they open at 7am and drop off my gear if it needs some servicing. Usually get it back by end of week if I drop it off monday morning. :)

I have had more than one problem with Nikon Melville, the most recent detailed in this thread. They kept my 300/4 AFS for over a month with minimal and confusing correspondence. In the end I was satisfied with the result, but there was no explanation of why it took so long.

Your experience, Baywing, sounds very encouraging. Hope they've turned a corner.
I've usually found that longer delays are due to a lack of replacement parts. If they are out, they have to wait for the next container from Japan, which I've heard can take 2-3 weeks. It also depends on the age of the gear, they stop making parts for the older stuff and let the inventory run down.

I've usually found that longer delays are due to a lack of replacement parts. If they are out, they have to wait for the next container from Japan, which I've heard can take 2-3 weeks. It also depends on the age of the gear, they stop making parts for the older stuff and let the inventory run down.

I can understand that, but they should inform the customer when that happens.

I sent in my D3s for a sensor cleaning and also a check-up/cleaning. Mailed Thursday and although it arrived Sat it was a holiday weekend so was not entered until Tuesday. Had an estimate same day and approved after business hours Tuesday. Thursday afternoon received a UPS notification that it was shipped next day and will be here before 10.30 tomorrow.
Online status has not been updated but happy for the quick turn around.

cheers
Wembley

Nikon in Melville has always done right by me. I depend on my cameras working as they should and would never risk using a third party for service. When I tell them this is urgent, the respond. And yup, sometime older cameras and parts don't always go together.

Latest threads

Top Bottom