nikon SU-800 wireless commander - update

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by marc, Dec 7, 2005.

1. marc

marc Guest

i received today, the su-800, this is the first part of the new cls, wireless remote lighting system

i have been eagerly awaiting this piece, as it allows you to take the sb800 off the camera.

i am using the su800, with 4 sb800's, it works flawlessly

has 5 shooting modes, ttl,aa,ttl-fp,m,no flash and repeat
    sets up just like sb800, and will fire sb800's above and behind.

i have only played with it for about an hour, it is fine.

hope some of you, who are looking to improve your flash photography, might take a look at this

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2005
  2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the information on the new adjunct Marc, can you or anyone offer a suggestion on a book or CD that does a better job explaining how to use the SB800 better than the owner's manual? I feel absolutely out of control when I use this flash. I know that I am not getting the best results from it because of my lack of knowledge. Any assistance is great appreciated

3. I too would like to know about a good book that is easy to understand on how to use the SB800.

4. Say, where did you buy it?

I am looking forward to this and the new ring mounted flashes.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  6. marc

marc Guest

frank,

the best book is practice , practice practice

there are books on lighting and placement of lights

i have never seen a book specifically about nikon, other than thom hogan

now for the su800, this is nikon's pocket wizard, if you know what pocket wizard's are.

electronic wireless triggers.

the su800, attachs to the camera flash shoe and from there directs the action of up to 3 different groups of speedlights, there is no limit to how many speedlights there are.

as i said before , you can fire in 5 different shooting modes and each group can have a different mode.

group a -ttl b- aa c - manual

amazing, you can control the exposure compensation of each group in + or - 3 stops.

there are still preflashes, and the su 800 has it's own af assist light.

i have learned how to use the lights by asking questions and practice.

the thing is just cool. if i was shooting in a gym or at an indoor party or just doing some shots of santa and kids, the su800 allows you to take the flash off of the camera and do really neat things.
    you have to experiment, there is no quick fix.

shutter speed controls the ambient light and aperture controls dof. this is where you start, 1/30 at f7 gives dof and great light for subject and background.

beezle, i got mine directly from B&H, i believe, they are readily available as of today.

nothing else has been shipped.

nikon, notifies there dealer when something ships, so far this is all there is.

other parts of the system, should begin to ship and be available, next week thru the end of the month.

i hope this helps,it is definitely worth the cost, if you are going to use multiple lights and want to get your flash off the camera, as is needed in many situations. lightstands and other paraphanalia needed for the lights are fairly inexpensive, and every speedlight comes with a small bracket to use for off camera use.

good shooting

marc

7. Ah, thanks. They are still not listed available on their web site.

I think I will wait on the kits anyway. I want all of the new gear.

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the advice, Marc...I guess that's the best course of action, play around with different settings, record what I have used and play some more.

9. marc

marc Guest

beezle

there are 2 kits, one has the su800, included the other does not

they are identical except for that difference.

so if you want su800, there is no apparent downside, you then buy the kit that comes without and youhave exactly same item

have a good time

marc

10. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
  11. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    After I saw your post I went to the B&H site. It showed that the SU800 would be available in December. I called to check on it. The salesman told me that they were not out yet. I told him that I knew of someone who had recieved one. He very smartly said that is impossible they have not arrived yet. I told him I had no reason that what you said was not true. Man this guy was a jerk. I've never been talked to that way by anyone at B&H. So much for the rant.

Later I went back to their site and it showed out of stock. I then went to the Adorama site and it showed that they had it. I got an email from them saying it will be sent right out.

12. hamsey

hamsey

Mar 9, 2005
    Got mine on 12/7/2005. After trying it out with a SB-800 & SB-600 I purchased another SB-600. It's fantastic. I have not done much flash photography in the past but I will be doing much more. I love CLS. I had a Canon D30 years ago and the flash system sucked (which is why I didn't much of it).

I got the su-800 from berger brothers.

Norm

13. marc

marc Guest

that's to bad someone at b&h should act that way

i have been doing business with them for quite some time, although they can be short, they are extremely knowledgable.
    many of there sales people are photogs or sales reps.
    i have a good friend who works there, they have some attitude, because they are receiving a great many crazy calls a day.
    i do not condone there behavior , but if you ask an intelligent question, they will respond and act with civility.

the su800, was in stores on wednesday, i picked it up at b&h in ny, personally.
    sorry they gave you a hard time, and yes it is terrific, i will use it tomorrow for the 1st time, using 2 sb800's on lightstands/d2x and 400 kids+ santa.

wish me luck, we are shooting tethered and printing 4x6's.

i have my fingers crossed, never did this before.
    it is a special request, and money we raise goes to american cancer society.

love the cls system

14. marc

marc Guest

15. marc

marc Guest

su 800/ cls/sb800's update

the new su800, works as advertised, it may even be better

we shot yesterday, santa and friends

we started at 10am and finsihed at 3pm

about 250 shots, su800 on camera/d2x/17-55

sb800's - 3

1. right at 45 degrees
    2. left at 80 degrees
    3. behind chair to give some light to background

every shot fired correctly, even light behind chair on floor, never missed

the system works.

only negative, you need to pay attention to batteries, at about 190 shots started to observe some hot spots. in the su800 manual, and in sb800 manual, it explains that as power from batteries gets low, you will see erratic behavior. so bring batteries and change them.

while there are many who will popo nikon and the wireless speedlight system, it works and will perform as advertised with excellent results.

we put the lights on stands, and just moved the stands around to get good results.

the photos were well lighted, sharp and the colors incredible.
    we shot on
    manual, 1/30-1/60, f5.6-f.8, ev on strobes +1thru +1.7
    we used sRGB,wb-flash, iso100.

when we processed the photos last night, 90% took almost no pp

that was really gratifying.

well, i just wanted to share, my observations in real time use for the CLS

if the new d200 and 18-200vr lens, live up to expectations then Nikon ,thankyou for delivering excellent products to your customers.

we are off to London and Belfast for the next 10 days.

happy new year to all.

16. Thanks for the update, Marc. It's very reassuring to learn that the system worked as planned.

17. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Marc
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad you are so happy with it. I haven't heard any more from Adorama. Hopefully mine is on the way. I have been out of town, so I am going to check on it tomorrow.

18. marc

marc Guest

they are available,it works and now all you need is imagination.

other new pieces are available, late this week or early next.