Nikon TC 14EII - feels very stiff when attaching lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TerribleTwins, Jun 8, 2007.

1. I just bought a 2nd TC14EII from KEH to go with my 70-200VR. Attaching & removing the lens from the adapter requires a significant amount of effort...I'm not convinced this should be the case.

Would appreciate any advice from people who have one... at the moment I am sorely tempted to return it back to KEH.

Thanks

2. I have had mine since new, about 3 years now and it is significantly thighter than just the lens to body tension but certainly not hard. I was concerned at first but was reassurred here and it has prove to be normal as far as I can tell.
    dave

3. mine is loose, wish it were more like yours.

4. Yep, mine is significantly more stiff going onto the body than ANY of my lenses are. I almost feel like I'm forcing it.

5. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm with Gretchen and Dave on this. Definitely tighter than any lens/body connection, and even tighter than my 50/1.8 D70s body which I thought was tight. Not quite to the point of forcing it though, so it seems fine.

Brian

6. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    I've got a 1.7 tc and it's the same way. <speculation warning> I guess that it may be by design. These are usually attached to large, heavy lenses and cameras and having these 'loose' is not desirable. <end of speculation>
    In any case, I agree with Matt: tight is right.
    Dave

7. Same here with mine. As Dave says, when attaching this to long, heavy lenses, I'd rather have a good fit. Just make sure you square it up to the camera before attempting to attach so you don't bend any pins, etc. Enjoy - nothing wrong with it!

8. Thanks

Thank you all for your responses... looks like there is nothing wrong with the TC .. just wanted to be careful about trying for force expensive pieces of glass!!!

Looking forward to playing with the system soon.

9. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I completely agree, with just one connection, lens to camera there's a certain amount of "looseness" designed in. With a TC there's a second connection so to keep things aligned, each connection needs to be tighter to keep the whole thing more rigid. Then there's the issue of hanging a camera off the end of it. A loose connection would actually put more stress on the mount I expect, with, say, a D2XS hanging off the TC.