Nikon TC-17

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Cabin, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Hello everyone......
    I have a fine 70-200VR but I think I need a little more reach.

My question is this:
    With the above lens does the TC-17 add $300-400 more reach?

If I have 4.9' of min. focal distance what does the TC-17 do to that number?

Thanks,

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You lose 1.5 stops of light, image quality declines, and you keep the close-focusing distance.

3. kccheers

kccheers

May 2, 2005
    Liberty, Mo
    Bob, I just got back from a week at Yellowstone and the Tetons with that combo. I used it about 30% of the time, the rest was with "the Beast" 28-70. I have not gotten into PP yet as we are hooking up a new PC right now, but the images that I saw on my Epson P2000 looked pretty good, and it was really a joy to use.

Hope this helps.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sure glad to hear tha Sam :>)))

Got one ya wanna sell cheap......lololol

5. kccheers

kccheers

May 2, 2005
    Liberty, Mo
    Ya know, Gale, I bought mine US version, but if I had it to do over again I would probably buy the imported and save the money.....maybe that's a solution.

6. Is the 1.7 the way to go or does the shorter reach 1.4 give you a sharper shot.

I realize one gives you an effective range of a 420mm lens vs 510mm.

If the quality is much better I would rather have a sharp 420mm range over a 510mm

Are there any of you who Have both and can give their opinion????.

((I don't have the box in front of me but I think the lens box mentions 1.4 & 2.0. Just got the lens last week so it has to be pretty new. Had to wait 1 week while the store got more in. Did I notice that correctly. If so why not the 1.7. If I am wrong, sorry for the last paragraph)).

Thanks
    Dan

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I've shot both

The TC14EII is definetly sharper on the 70-200. The 1.7 is passable but not really up to my standards.

Tom Hogan says that he uses the TC17 rather than the TC14 as the 14 doesn't make enough of a difference when he's travelling to be worth it.

Personally, I'd stick with the 14...sharper images and the lens focuses faster than with the 17 as well.

8. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

It's a great combo from what I hear (70-200 + 1.7)but the true telephoto range would be 280mm (1.4) and 320mm (1.7). With the 1.5 crop factor the numbers will be higher but I personally disregard the crop factor as a true telephoto aid.

I have used the 1.7 on my 300f/4 and I have the 1.4. With the 1.7 I found the difference in sharpness negliable if on a tripod and shot properly, but there was difference nonetheless. So, I bought the 1.4 and I notice no visible loss in sharpness (I'm sure it's there but pretty darn hard to see). With the wonders of the 70-200 I'm sure the 1.7 will give you no problems, plus with the VR you'll still be able to hand-hold and get wonderful shots.

Good luck in your choice!! ;)

Joel.

Joel.

9. Jim & Joel,

Thanks for the feed back. both of you have solidified my choice to go with the TC14. I have had enough of the soft shot acceptance standards.

Jim as we have said in e-mails, why do people accept sub-standard pictures after spending 1,000's for their equipment. Never again will I accept things that don't meet "Old Nikon" standards.

Jim, having seen your work, your standards are good enough for me. Looks like a TC14 is in my very near future.

Thanks again

Dan

10. Late as usual, but I have to go with the guys above - at least for now. I haven't used the 1.7 enough to give it a fair chance yet, but from what I've seen so far, it isn't up to the 1.4's standards. Focusing is noticeably slower and the images just weren't as crisp. But I have to admit I have been throwing several new variables into the mix lately, including a D2X, so image quality may be due to several 'break-in' adjustments between me and the new stuff.

11. Thanks everyone,
    Now I'm not sure if I should purchase the 1.4 or the 1.7........

Either way I think I'll purchase the import version to save a little money.
    Both the US and import version come with a 1 year warranty so I don't see any advantage to the US version.

12. Brew

Brew Guest

I shot this at full extension with the 1.7 on my VR, i don't think it's too bad.

If you go to my pbase account linked below my sig most of my baseball shots where with the 1.7 (keep in mind I'm an amateur) some are not too bad I think.

13. Bob,

I think that $400 (or about 1/4 of the price of the 70-200) to increase your reach by 67% is worth it, given the (limited in my eye) degradation in quality and the reasonable max aperture of f/4.8. A very reasonable trade-off to me, compared to getting another fairly large lens, the 300mm f/4 which I can't get down to sub-200mm in a heartbeat if I have to! ;-)

Here are a few examples:

220m at f/6.3
    15822051-O.

340mm at f/4.8
    22841054-O.

340mm at f/5.6
    22922529-O.

340mm at f/8
    22819668-O.

14. Excellent photos.....

Just what I trying to achieve.

I'm going to purchase the 1.7.

Thanks again,

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'm with Philippe, the TC-17 makes more sense especially when you consider the pricing. Having previously used a 70-300 before getting my 70-200VR I knew I wanted at least 300mm reach, so I just felt the 280mm with TC-14 wasn't enough. Maybe there's a slight drop in sharpness compared to not using TC but I can't say that I've noticed it in real-world shots.

Here's a sampling of shots, all at 340mm. and in most cases near wide-open:

http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/38752037/original

http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/44448412/original

http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/43539518/original

http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/44448722/original

16. I'm of the opinion that if I throw thousands and thousands at camera and lenses, I want a really great quality converter in between the two. I went with the TC14E-II and the TC20E-II. The 14 stays on the camera all the time with the 70-200VR, and I really hate the 20 and never use it - sorry I ever bought it as I never shoot tripod for distance, only landscapes. The 14 gives incredibly sharp images - razor sharp.
    www.pbase.com/sjackson/summer2005 are all taken with this setup. There is NO degradation in image quality at all. I'd

17. Back to the drawing board.

I hate to buy both, but I am sure I can always sell the one that I don't Like or need. I just want to make sure in the "real world" I am not wasting my money on something I am not 99.99% happy with.

Because of all the "prior" focus problems I had with the first D2x and lens , I am really going over board to make sure I do my research before I buy. Like anything else, until you use it yourself, one never nows how it will perform. At least with the replies from this forum, I fell I am increaseing my chances of getting something i like.

Thanks

Dan

18. Back to the drawing board.

I hate to buy both, but I am sure I can always sell the one that I don't Like or need. I just want to make sure in the "real world" I am not wasting my money on something I am not 99.99% happy with.

Because of all the "prior" focus problems I had with the first D2x and lens , I am really going over board to make sure I do my research before I buy. Like anything else, until you use it yourself, one never nows how it will perform. At least with the replies from this forum, I fell I am increaseing my chances of getting something I like.

Thanks

Dan

19. marcus

marcus Guest

If you don't have a D2X, then go for the TC17E. I got quite a lot of nice photos by D100+70-200+TC17E in the past. However, I am not very pleased with those captured by D2X+70-200+TC17E. Hope this help.

20. Jay Keller

Jay Keller Guest