Nikon TC and Sigma lens??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by cknight, Apr 8, 2007.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I have a Sigma 150/2.8 HSM macro lens coming, and I have the Nikon TC-14E II teleconverter.

Will these two play nice together or will I have to use the Sigma or other brand TC with this lens?

2. Generally, TCs are made by manufacturers to work best with a certain lens or group of lenses. Sigma TCs are known to work erratically with non-Sigma lenses and I think some research would show that Nikkor TCs and some Sigma lenses might have issues too. I've always believed that best results come with sticking to matching brands where possible. One exception is the Kenko Pro 300 series of TCs. The Kenko Pro 300 1.4 works pretty well with many lenses over 100mm and brilliantly with some. It is a very popular accessory becasue of it.

I have never used a 14e or 14e II on my 150/2.8 as I have the Sigma 1.4 TC and I can tell you that I don't see any falloff in IQ when I use it.

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Nikon TCs have a little tab that only let them work with Nikon lenses, you'll need to modify the TC yourself to even make it fit onto the lens.

Also, some Sigma lenses are known not to work with Kenko TCs, so do some research before you buy! Your best bet is probably just to get a Sigma TC.

4. I agree with Weiran. I just went through tryng to get a Kenko 1.4 Pro to work with Sigma 80-400. Lot of strange things happened, included a lock up showing a dead battery, turned the camera off and then back on. Every fine for two shot, then dead battery lockup.

5. Hi Chris!

I don´t have as extreme experiences with Sigma lens + Kenko tc as Sam, but problems yes: I have also Sigma 150mm and with Kenko the af (which ofcourse is not needed when shooting close-ups) didn´t work. It started to focus, I even sometimes got a focus lock peep but then the lens started to focus again. Also I had bad underexposure thing with it, it´s like the cam would not know there´s a tc between the cam and lens. (With Tamron 90 and Nikkor 80-200 Kenko works great...)

Then I bought a used Sigma tc (1.4) which works perfectly...

I haven´t tested a Nikon tc-17e ii which I also have but I´ve always thought that they are not mechanically compatible just like Weiran said...

Edit: Ok, I just tried them: NOT mechanically compatible. So, my advise is to get a Sigma tc as I wouldn´t remove the tab although I have read that there´s no harm by doing so. The tab is there just to prevent to using a tc with any other lenses than Nikkor AF-S and AF-I, you can´t even attach it to screwdriven Nikkor AF lenses...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  6. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I don't think I would modify my Nikon TC myself, although I would buy a pre-modded one that I knew worked!

7. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks guys. That's what I was afraid of.
    Why can't they all just get along?? Oh well.
    If I decide I need a TC for the sigma, I'll just buy on of the sigma TCs.

8. Question...

Hi Mike, while reading your lens list, I noticed you have the Sigma EX 28 F1.8 DG.. Quite rare lens but I have seen some wonders about it.. How does it works in your hands? Just to know, thanks.

9. I had a Kenko 2x DG TC that would hunt and not grab AF using a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX D. I've sold it and I'm about to buy a pair of Sigma TCs to go w/ that lens.