Nikon Teleconverter vs. Kenko or Sigma

Is there that much of a difference in pics when using a non-Nikon converter to warrant the price difference? Thanks

Yes! Converters tend to work best with their maker's lenses. Some, like the Nikkor TC-XXe series won't mount on a non-AF-S lens. Sigma converters don't play well with non-Sigma lenses either. The best generic TC currently available seems to be the Kenko Pro 300 1.4. On some lenses, especially longer ones, it functions nicely and provides high IQ. In my experience, the Kenko 1.4 worked well with my Nikkor AF 300/2.8 but not particularly well with a Nikkor AF 180/2.8. You really need to experiment. The upside of the Kenko is that will allow autofocusing with f5.6 lenses. Good luck ... tripod recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
I opted for the Kenko Pro DG 300 1.4x instead of the Nikon one as there is no (for me at least) difference in image quality. It saved me enough money to get me the Nikkor 50/1.8.

I also use the Nikkor 1.7x TC as this is a nice compromise between IQ degradation and additional reach.

Some, like the Nikkor TC-XXe series won't mount on a non-AF-S lens.
This is a key issue. So to a certain extent, it really depends on which lens you are going to use the TC on. Checking for compatibility is a must.

The best generis TC currently available seems to be the Kenko Pro 300 1.4.
I think most will agree with this. I sure do. The Kenko worked well on my 80-200 f/2.8 (two ring), but even so, there was a very slight loss of IQ when shooting wide open. Not bad, but noticeable when pixel peeping.

I just purchased the TC-14E II to use with my 300 f/2.8. So far it seems totally seamless, and there appears to be virtually no loss of IQ, even when shooting wide open. It's expensive, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

Good luck with your decision!! :smile:

Not really sure . . Maybe I'm lost . . ! !
I thought the same as you . . Kenko or Nikon . . ? I borrowed a friends Nikon and put it up against the Kenko . .. Build quality the Nikon wins hands down . . Image quality you would never know the difference. . . I posted a set of pics (about 2yrs ago) asking which took what picture and no one got it correct . .

Here are a couple of the shots . . One taken with the Nikon 1.4 the other with the Kenko Pro300 1.4

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom