NIKON TO END IT'S 3RD PARTY REPAIR PROGRAM

Isn't there a law in place that manufacturers have to ensure that a consumer can purchase parts from them for a certain number of years? I thought that number was 7 years. If a consumer has the ability to repair their gear themselves Nikon should have to supply parts. If that is the case, a 3rd party repair shop can advise the consumer which parts to order from Nikon and furnish them to the repair shop.

Ouch!!
Might be a good idea to send them to a 3rd party repair center for a clean and check while they can still get parts.
They're just fine and I rarely fix anything that isn't broken. Moreover, I may be making a switch to mirrorless in the next couple of years. So far, Nikon doesn't have a mirrorless offering that meets my requirements. If I change to a different manufacturer, I won't need my current lenses and wouldn't want to spend money getting them checked out.

Real Name
Andy
Four of the six lenses I own are Nikon lenses. All four of them are at least 10 years old.
Ouch!!
Might be a good idea to send them to a 3rd party repair center for a clean and check while they can still get parts.
I actually think you'll be OK. Third party repair shops such as APS have inventories of parts that even Nikon doesn't stock anymore. I made a long post above regarding the AF-S 80-200/2.8D IF-ED which Nikon stopped supporting a long time ago. Two or three years ago, I reached out to a handful of "unofficial" Nikon repair places, all of whom had replacement AF motors when I considered repairing one of my copies of that lens; that was more than 10 years after Nikon stopped supporting it. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, much of Mike's work is done in his home studio - I bet those lenses are seldom exposed to harsh conditions and might go many more years without need of any attention.

They're just fine and I rarely fix anything that isn't broken. Moreover, I may be making a switch to mirrorless in the next couple of years. So far, Nikon doesn't have a mirrorless offering that meets my requirements. If I change to a different manufacturer, I won't need my current lenses and wouldn't want to spend money getting them checked out.
Have you looked around to see which other camera manufacturers might already have a mirrorless body and various lenses which would meet your requirements? You might be waiting a lot longer than just a couple of years for Nikon to come up with what you want and need!

if I'm not mistaken, much of Mike's work is done in his home studio - I bet those lenses are seldom exposed to harsh conditions and might go many more years without need of any attention.
My makeshift studio is so small that I use only my Nikon 35mm f/2 and my Tamron 90mm macro. My other lenses are typically used only when I travel. So, in both situations regarding the amount or type of use, your point is valid.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I brought my UK photo gear to the USA. They will see that as Grey market. That is a huge problem for me now if something needs a repair. Contemplating my options.
No, your assumption is not correct. Your gear is not grey market. Grey market in the USA means it was imported to the US and then sold in the US, in competition with Nikon USA.
They are perfectly happy to repair your UK equipment, but you will need to show them the invoices, which show you bought the gear in the UK and not in the USA.

However they will not honour guarantees that are not valid in the USA.

So Nikon USA will be happy to repair your equipment, you don't have a problem (assuming you have the invoices, which you should have for insurance purposes).

No, your assumption is not correct. Your gear is not grey market. Grey market in the USA means it was imported to the US and then sold in the US, in competition with Nikon USA.
They are perfectly happy to repair your UK equipment, but you will need to show them the invoices, which show you bought the gear in the UK and not in the USA.

However they will not honour guarantees that are not valid in the USA.

So Nikon USA will be happy to repair your equipment, you don't have a problem (assuming you have the invoices, which you should have for insurance purposes).

Let's just keep this to requesting a simple repair at my cost.

Nikon USA will not service grey market as far as I understand but the 3rd party service centers will. 3rd party will not get parts down the road now and I don't know what kind of inventory they will get going forward for my D5, 500mm FL, etc.

Buying used from, say, MPB, Mifsuds, or LCE in the UK doesn't guarantee UK sourced equipment. It can very well be grey market but I would not know that. I have no way to tell and invoices don't reveal this.

Now, let's say I bought a lens from LCE, what does that tell Nikon USA? Let's say I am presenting them a UK sourced lens (not grey market in the UK), will they service this in the USA or will they see this as grey because I'm the importer? Remember, all I have an LCE invoice and I'm not the original owner. Do they see that as grey? I don't know now but I fear this may be an issue.

All I want is the ability to pay for a repair but I fear they may reject me outright.

This could be the same for those in the USA that buy used. How do you know it is not grey? The answer is, you don't and now you could be at risk of being rejected for a repair and then owning a nice paper weight. I hope this is not the case but if we have to buy new only from now on, I can do that but a lot of us have been buying used to save money and Never thought it would come to this.

Let's just keep this to requesting a simple repair at my cost.

Nikon USA will not service grey market as far as I understand but the 3rd party service centers will. 3rd party will not get parts down the road now and I don't know what kind of inventory they will get going forward for my D5, 500mm FL, etc.

Buying used from, say, MPB, Mifsuds, or LCE in the UK doesn't guarantee UK sourced equipment. It can very well be grey market but I would not know that. I have no way to tell and invoices don't reveal this.

Now, let's say I bought a lens from LCE, what does that tell Nikon USA? Let's say I am presenting them a UK sourced lens (not grey market in the UK), will they service this in the USA or will they see this as grey because I'm the importer? Remember, all I have an LCE invoice and I'm not the original owner. Do they see that as grey? I don't know now but I fear this may be an issue.

All I want is the ability to pay for a repair but I fear they may reject me outright.

This could be the same for those in the USA that buy used. How do you know it is not grey? The answer is, you don't and now you could be at risk of being rejected for a repair and then owning a nice paper weight. I hope this is not the case but if we have to buy new only from now on, I can do that but a lot of us have been buying used to save money and Never thought it would come to this.
I think what Richard is saying is What is grey market.
IMO , you live in the USA and buy a UK body that is grey market. If you want it serviced in the USA they will deny it.
If you live in the UK and buy a UK product that is not grey market and any Nikon Service Center should honor it whatever country you are in.

I think what Richard is saying is What is grey market.
IMO , you live in the USA and buy a UK body that is grey market. If you want it serviced in the USA they will deny it.
If you live in the UK and buy a UK product that is not grey market and any Nikon Service Center should honor it whatever country you are in.
That is also what I'm saying, what is grey market? His point was something about receipts. My point is, receipts of used equipment don't tell you anything.

All those buying used are in that same boat whether that is through resellers, consignment, or private sale. You won't know until you try and request a service repair from Nikon now. Those of us who bought items used have no way of telling what is and what is not grey. 3rd party repair was a viable alternative. Now we may have paperweights should they fail.

Last edited:
I have purchased a few grey lenses in the past as new from B&H. I did this assuming that APS would repair these items at my cost. I will not be a happy customer if these expensive lenses are now denied repair because Nikon refuses to service them and now suddenly removes my option to use APS for those services.

Glenn

Last edited:
I have purchased a few grey lenses in the past as new from B&H. I did this assuming they APS would repair these items at my cost. I will not be a happy customer if these expensive lenses are now denied repair because Nikon refuses to service them and now suddenly removes my option to use APS for those services.

Glenn
And that is exactly what my issue is. Had I known this was coming I would have sold all my gear before moving and re-evaluated my options.

Time to think about my current options.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I don't think you understood my reply.
I tried to explain what Grey Market means. It means the product is sold in a market the product was not intended for.

If I buy equipment in the UK or Japan or anywhere, then go to the USA with it, Nikon USA will repair that equipment because it is not grey market to the USA. But they will want to check it was not imported into the USA and sold in the USA to the customer, in competition with them and therefore potentially losing them the business. To check this they will ask for the receipt. Only if the receipt shows it was bought in the USA, and its serial number shows it was not intended for the US market then they won't repair it.

You said you bought the equipment in the UK. Do you have the receipts? If you do then you are OK.

Let's take an example. Suppose you are Korean and visiting the USA from Korea doing a photo trip. Your Nikon camera, with a Korea serial number needs repair. Nikon USA will repair it, but they will want to see the receipt. The receipt shows it was not bought in the USA, Therefore it is not a grey import.
Another example. An American visits Japan and buys a Nikon while there. He comes home and it needs repair. He shows it was bought in Japan, so no problem (but he probably has to pay).

I hope I have done a better job of explaining it now. The only people who need to worry are people who bought grey imports while in the USA, but they can send still their equipment to Nikon UK or elsewhere for repair. Nikon UK will repair anything.

Last edited:
I don't think you understood my reply.
I tried to explain what Grey Market means. It means the product is sold in a market the product was not intended for.
I know what grey market means and I'm in agreement here. My issue is with used equipment I purchased in the UK. My receipts for used items don't tell me anything about whether they were originally sold as grey or not. I'm just a second hand buyer.

So, considering this, what does Nikon USA think about my used lens I purchased at London Camera Exchange if the item was originally a grey import from Panamoz in the UK? I have a London Camera Exchange UK receipt because I bought it second hand. That is still a grey item to me......and probably them.

This is the same for folks here in the USA. If they bought used items, receipt or not, they have no way of knowing how it was sourced and may now be out of luck on repairs going forward.

I think at the end of the day all we know is there is an unknown of how long grey and 3rd party used items will survive going forward if you cannot guarantee there is at least an option of paid repair.

To maybe help clarify a little more......when one buys a Nikon camera or lens new in the US in a camera shop, when the box is opened it contains the warranty information, and that card or piece of paper clearly states it is under a US warranty. If one buys a Nikon camera or lens new in the US from perhaps an unfamiliar shop or from an individual and opens the box, which looks the same, and discovers that there is a different sort of warranty info in the box -- I think it says something like "World..." ? -- and there is no card or paper with warranty info specific to the US, then that is a clue that the product is "grey market." The camera is still the same, works the same, etc., but as Richard says, was not intended for the US market and had been imported into the US under circumstances not authorized or approved by Nikon USA. It's frowned upon but still is done in this country and probably there are many people who have grey market cameras or lenses who don't even realize it.

That is one reason why it is always important to hang on to all the paperwork that comes with a camera or lens and especially the warranty info and the purchase receipt.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I know what grey market means and I'm in agreement here. My issue is with used equipment I purchased in the UK. My receipts for used items don't tell me anything about whether they were originally sold as grey or not. I'm just a second hand buyer.

So, considering this, what does Nikon USA think about my used lens I purchased at London Camera Exchange if the item was originally a grey import from Panamoz in the UK? I have a London Camera Exchange UK receipt because I bought it second hand. That is still a grey item to me......and probably them.

This is the same for folks here in the USA. If they bought used items, receipt or not, they have no way of knowing how it was sourced and may now be out of luck on repairs going forward.

I think at the end of the day all we know is there is an unknown of how long grey and 3rd party used items will survive going forward if you cannot guarantee there is at least an option of paid repair.
I will clarify further. It is amazing how hard it is to explain this with complete clarity.

Nikon USA only rejects cameras that are Grey Market to them - in other words imports to the USA which have been sold there in competition to Nikon USA.
Since you bought your equipment in the UK, the address on those invoices is your address in the UK, so there is no problem - you didn't buy them in the USA. It is of no concern to them whether they were grey market imports to the UK. (Nikon UK might not like it but they are a different organisation with different policies.)

This is the decision tree they follow.
1. Does the camera have a US serial number? If Yes, go ahead and repair. (It was imported by Nikon USA).
2. No, it does not have a US serial number. Ask to see the receipt.
3. Is the customer address on the receipt in the USA? If Yes, refuse the repair because this is a grey import to the USA.
4. No, the customer address is not in the USA, so it was not bought in the USA, so was not sold in competition with Nikon USA, so go ahead and repair.

You can see that is fairly sensible, as travellers from other countries can get their equipment repaired. Also people who have travelled and bought equipment while in other countries can get their equipment repaired. Only those who bought grey market imports to the USA are rejected. This is intended to damage the grey market and reduce it, resulting in greater sales and profits. Of course the downside is the frustration of some customers who may have a mix of grey and non-grey equipment and get angry. Nikon UK in contrast takes the view that repairs make money and they are always pleased to do them and keep Nikon customers happy (I actually have an email from them confirming this).

Your situation is a happy one, you have no problems. This is completely different to people in the US who have bought grey market items. The value of those items may drop because of the need to send them abroad for repair, which costs more. It may even be a good idea for those people to try to sell them.

This is the decision tree they follow.
1. Does the camera have a US serial number? If Yes, go ahead and repair. (It was imported by Nikon USA).
2. No, it does not have a US serial number. Ask to see the receipt.
3. Is the customer address on the receipt in the USA? If Yes, refuse the repair because this is a grey import to the USA.
4. No, the customer address is not in the USA, so it was not bought in the USA, so was not sold in competition with Nikon USA, so go ahead and repair.
I'm gathering that you believe that process applies whether the item was purchased new or used. I think it would be helpful if you would either confirm or correct my thinking about that.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom