NIKON TO END IT'S 3RD PARTY REPAIR PROGRAM

As far as I know, I owned only one grey-market lens, and the only reason I even knew it was because of the situation I mentioned earlier in my other post -- when I was unpacking the box with the brand-new lens and shuffling through all the paperwork I looked and didn't find the familiar USA warranty info -- there was just some strange "World" warranty piece of paper in there and I remember thinking, "WTH?" and then it dawned on me that perhaps this was a grey-market lens, which didn't surprise me because at the time that particular lens had become difficult to find (I think it had been discontinued) and I had thought myself really lucky when I happened upon it in a shop I didn't usually frequent...... The lens was great, it worked just fine through the years I had it, and so I never had to put it to the test of finding out for sure if it would be repaired by Nikon USA or not. Although most of my gear I bought new, I did have a few used lenses, too, and since they were already older lenses I didn't have warranty info available for them and no idea of their origin.

Reading through this thread and with Nikon's news I am thinking that my timing may have been unintentionally very good as far as recently making my switch in camera and lens systems..... Whew!

I'm gathering that you believe that process applies whether the item was purchased new or used.
I don't know but it seems logical. Perhaps they would accept the original buyer's invoice as evidence it wasn't grey.
That's the point that is unresolved and it seems to me to be the reason you and Tangofoxtrot are going back and forth. If the original buyer's invoice is required in the case when an item was purchased used, my bet is that no more than 1% of all purchases of used equipment include an invoice documenting where the product was purchased new.

That's the point that is unresolved and it seems to me to be the reason you and Tangofoxtrot are going back and forth. If the original buyer's invoice is required in the case when an item was purchased used, my bet is that no more than 1% of all purchases of used equipment include an invoice documenting where the product was purchased new.
Exactly...and I know I purchased a few expensive grey market lenses new from B&H. At the time, I fully understood the risks...that they weren't covered under warranty by Nikon USA and that Nikon USA wouldn't service them. I was willing to incur that risk knowing that I prefer to have my repairs done at APS--which is local for me--at my own cost. Taking away that option in the middle of the life of these lenses simply feels like very poor customer service on Nikon's part. So much so, that I am already contemplating switching my gear to another brand.

Glenn

Real Name
Mike
Exactly...and I know I purchased a few expensive grey market lenses new from B&H. At the time, I fully understood the risks...that they weren't covered under warranty by Nikon USA and that Nikon USA wouldn't service them. I was willing to incur that risk knowing that I prefer to have my repairs done at APS--which is local for me--at my own cost. Taking away that option in the middle of the life of these lenses simply feels like very poor customer service on Nikon's part. So much so, that I am already contemplating switching my gear to another brand.

Glenn
At least someone understands me. lol

All in all, this move is hardly going to increase Nikon sales, they will either remain as they are or reduce. Seems a weird decision to me and not one that is going to increase sales.
If I was a new buyer today in the US, I would avoid Nikon (though things over here haven't changed).

Glenn
That might happen to me if my D850 can't be repaired or the cost is insane. My investment in lenses isn't real heavy.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom