1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon to Vista compatibility?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mich, Sep 7, 2008.

1. mich

mich

Sep 5, 2008
    ociania
    I have just purchased a Desk Top with Vista home premium and cannot get pictures to transfer from my beloved little Coolpix 7600, all drives show as installed correctly but I continually get a window saying “no new pictures found on this devise” I have tried the transfer markings in all the positions, also I installed Picture Project from the CD that came with the Camera and this shows not connected in the box window where it should show E7600. It all works perfectly on my old PC with Windows XP.
    Is there a compatibility issue??
    Would a usb card reader work OK?

2. You said if I can guess it correctly that you can see the drive representing the camera, I assume in my computer. That means that Vista has recognised your camera as a mass storage device.

The first thing I would do is to see if you can use explorer to see the images on the camera when you connect the camera. The camera should have been given a drive letter, click on that and drill down in the directores to see if you can see the images files that way. If you can see them you can drag and drop them in the directpory of your choice.

If you can't see them - something is obviously not working, let us know and we will start trying to help you figure it out.

Yes you can use a card reader, they are available at any Staples, Best Buy, Walmart or Radioshack for very little money.

3. mich

mich

Sep 5, 2008
    ociania
    Well things are a bit screwy, it only shows up when it is connected and switched on but still wont transfer, as soon as camera is removed from computer it fails to show up on "computer" or "Scanners and cameras" in control panel. is this normal?

4. yes that is normal. rightclick on the drive folder and see if there is an option called "autoplay" if so click on it and choose the item that imports the images.

5. mich

mich

Sep 5, 2008
    ociania
    Sorry but where is the drive folder?

6. click on my computer. The on the drive that repesents the camera, then on the folder you see, keep on clicking until you have no more sublevels of folders....

7. mich

mich

Sep 5, 2008
    ociania
    With Camera connected and on I get in this order:

th_1.
    th_2.
    th_3.

8. sorry for late answer, click on the DCIM folder and click on the Nikon folder (s) inside it to see if you can see any images in them. If so you can copy them by dragging and dropping them for now until we figure out the other problem

9. mich

mich

Sep 5, 2008
    ociania
    andreasb, no problem, what I have found out is:
    Vista Photo Gallery will only handle a medium number of pics, if I format the card and take a dozen pics it transfers OK then take a dozen more and that is OK but transfer 80+ pics and then take say 6 more pics and you have problems. It says “no new photos can be found” The idle little bugger!
    I took 4 pics of Car and transferred OK then a day later took 4 random pics, the transfer worked but transferred the complete 8 pics, this would be a pain if it duplicates all the time.

Re your suggestions Clicking on DCIM gave me:
    Capture.
    Open this gave this which is exactly what is on the Camera card View attachment 248669

I opened the compatibility wizard and reinstalled Nikon Picture Project but it shows “not connected” eg, View attachment 248670
    So I am able to transfer after a fashion but not able to control what is to be transferred. View attachment 248671 notice how 2 car pics have been duplicated out of the 4 that were on the Camera card?
    It would be a lot easier if the Pic Project worked then you would be able to select those that you wanted to transfer:smile:

10. Very odd, sounds like Vista and your camera are not happy together. BTW I'm not sure Picture project works well under Vista.

Try download Nikon Transfer and try it instead click here

11. mich

mich

Sep 5, 2008
    ociania
    andreasb
    Well at last all is working perfectly thanks to the Nikon Transfer d/l that you suggested, it proves that Pic Project is not compatible with Vista, so thanks for your help it is much appreciated.
    I will now look at the forums and absorb all the new tricks that I will need for this new fangled digi stuff lol :smile:

12. dejavu

dejavu Guest

Hi, i installed Nikon Transfer in Vista but although camera seems recognized in vista,program doesn't recognize the camera. Why could be like that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.