Nikon Transfer2 not working

This is strange to me and maybe another member can help me figure it out. I purchased a new MSI gaming laptop (extemely fast compared to my previous HP) and I am having an issue with NikonTransfer2. It will not launch. When I click on it I will get the timer wheel and then the icon will go gray. And I am not able to transfer any photos. I have removed all things Nikon using an uninstaller and through the registry, reinstalled a clean version of NX-1 and still have the same issue. Here is the strange part, everything works if I am using safe-mode. I also have a PC with the identical software set-up as the laptop and have no issues on the PC. Both are using the latest version of Windows 10. I can transfer photos using other software and all other parts of NX-1 work just fine.
I can generally figure this stuff out, but I am puzzled on this one.

Wonder if the app is trying to init a stubborn usb port or driver ?
Might be worth waiting 10 min without touching anything after requesting the app to start, sometimes windows will timeout eventually and give an error code.

atlanta_man: Tried waiting 10 minutes, even a tad more an nothing chnaged.
Richard: I agree the basic program is obsolete, but I have yet to find a program that will transfer nefs/jpegs as fast, rename and to a second target, from my D4Ss and D810. Neither ACDSee, On1Photo Raw, Lightroom or Photoshop/Bridge. I may give Photo Mechanic a tryout, but to purchase it is $150.

As I stated in my original post, it works fine if I start and run the laptop in "safe mode". I was thinking there was a conflict with another program. But I went into 'msconfig" and turned everything off except for Microsoft services

A slight hijack:
I use the FireWire Delock Card Reader B, to download NEFs from the CF cards I use in my D810 - - so MUCH faster than my older USB 2 device. However . . .

It has a quirk: Unlike most other readers, FireWire or otherwise, CompactFlash cards in a Delock reader mount as external SSDs and not as memory cards. On my MPB, for instance, an inserted card is not represented by the typical white removable media icon; instead, a FireWire "drive" icon will appear.

Cards can be mounted and unmounted without any problem, and copies to/from the card with the Mac Finder proceed without a hitch. So, in the most basic terms of basic operation, there is little practical difference between the computer seeing a card in the Delock reader as a memory card or an external SSD.

But, when I use an import utility to offload pictures from the card to the computer (Nikon Transfer, Bridge, etc), it does not recognize a card in the Delock reader as a choosable source. It has been reported that one can use the Ingest Disk function of Photo Mechanic for Mac for this job, and it will import pictures from a card in the Delock without any problem (though, if Photo Mechanic isn't already running, it will not auto-launch when a card is inserted). However I don’t have PM nor do I want to spend $149 for it.

Anyone know of a fast USB reader that will work on a MBP USB-2 port?

FireWire or Thunderbolt is also fast.
I have a Sandisk FireWire card reader for my CF cards and I use it with a Thunderbolt converter on my MBP; and I have a Sony USB 3 Card Reader for my XQD cards.
B&H list numerous card readers of all kinds.

FireWire or Thunderbolt is also fast.
I have a Sandisk FireWire card reader for my CF cards and I use it with a Thunderbolt converter on my MBP; and I have a Sony USB 3 Card Reader for my XQD cards.
B&H list numerous card readers of all kinds.

Thanks and good to know. Pricey bit of kit! I understand that the Sandisk, unlike my Delock, is one of the few firewire readers to work with transfer programs.

Grasping at straws, perhaps, but any thoughts/knowledge of this beast: Kanex Thunderbolt to eSATA + USB 3.0 Adapter
would it add a USB3 or would it revert to USB2?

I believe that the SanDisk Firewire reader that I have has been discontinued?
I can't imagine why because it is an excellent bit of kit.

The Sony USB 3 reader is also very fast but I haven't tested it to see if it works on USB 2 — or how much that would effect download speed.
Actually, speed does not seem that important — until you return from a trip with ten 128 GB cards — then it becomes extremely important.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I believe that the SanDisk Firewire reader that I have has been discontinued?
I can't imagine why because it is an excellent bit of kit.

The Sony USB 3 reader is also very fast but I haven't tested it to see if it works on USB 2 — or how much that would effect download speed.
Actually, speed does not seem that important — until you return from a trip with ten 128 GB cards — then it becomes extremely important.
USB3 can be about 10 times faster than USB2. Obviously depends on where else there is a bottleneck.

Latest threads

Top Bottom