Nikon trials a 30-day trial of the Z50

Interesting. I have a D5600 that is only a little over a year old. I'm not sure how much money I could get for it should I decide to sell it. But this little camera would be a great replacement for it.

I bet they'll get a lot of takers. And I'd feel better about returning one offered like this than purchasing one from, say, B&H and returning after 3 or 4 weeks.

Price is the same as the B&H holiday savings price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And I'd feel better about returning one offered like this than purchasing one from, say, B&H and returning after 3 or 4 weeks.
We all have our own values, but I wouldn't feel better about the manufacturer's return policy over the B&H return policy or vise versa. If the retailer, whether it's a third-party seller or the manufacturer, offers me to try out a product and if I legitimately take them up on that offer (as opposed to me planning a free rental, which is not in the spirit of the offer), both parties are complying with an agreement they made in advance.

I'm sure Nikon is counting on the consumer to decide to just keep the camera and lens(es) rather than going to all the trouble to return everything later, regardless of how they feel about the gear unless they absolutely loathe it, which would be unlikely. Since the consumer does have to pay for it initially anyway, the "trying it free" part comes in only if the consumer DOES return it.... And some people are careless about time frames and returning things or hate returning things. I suspect that Nikon is counting on this little foible of human nature..... Also I notice that the FTZ adapter is not included, which would mean that if someone already has Nikon lenses which he or she would like to try out on the new camera, they would have to buy that adapter outside of this offer and if they decide against keeping anything would have to return that to a vendor as well.....

Last edited:
The "trying it free" part comes in only if the consumer DOES return it....
I agree. Decades ago I worked for the only residential carpet company in the Washington, D.C. area that regularly advertised guaranteed installation the next day. That promise brought in droves of potential customers that became actual customers. In the several years I worked for the company, I remember only one time that the customer required next-day installation. The company was always happy to provide it if necessary and they made it happen that time. But the point is that they advertised the customer's option and the customer rarely used that option.

When it comes to something like making a return, especially online, a lot of people are not all that enthused about doing so -- somehow seems like much more of an effort than ordering and receiving the item in the first place! Many customers in the end often don't get around to it unless they fall into the select category of those known as "serial returners" who do order stuff just to try it out and then return it, over and over and over..... Amazon often kicks these people out when they've overstayed their welcome.

Real Name
Andy
I'm pretty sure that this is simply an effort on Nikon's part to improve their profit margins on their newest body compared to the Z6/Z7 launches. We all know that Nikon USA is adamant about keeping the price uniform on all their authorized USA retail sales. B&H, Adorama, and all of our beloved "shop local" businesses buy from Nikon at wholesale and mark up to the price dictated by Nikon USA - no more, no less. When Nikon sells directly to the customer, they profit from the difference between wholesale and retail price in addition to their existing margin between manufacturing cost and wholesale. Assuming that the product return rate is not too much higher than usual when people "buy to try" for 30 days, they still come out way ahead if people buy directly from them rather than an authorized retailer. Draw your own conclusions, but those are the facts.

Here is how Nikon is selling the Yellow plan (emphasis added by me):
"We’re so confident that you’ll fall in love with the photos and videos you’ll get with your new mirrorless Z 50 camera, especially when compared to the ones you get with your smartphone, we’ll let you try one at home for 30 days."

I'm pretty sure that this is simply an effort on Nikon's part to improve their profit margins on their newest body compared to the Z6/Z7 launches.
Nikon was already selling the Z50 directly, so the program doesn't improve the margin. If increased sales are eventually attributed to the program, the profits will increase but not the margin.

I suppose you could argue that Nikon hopes to make sales directly to consumers that otherwise would have been made by the third-party retailers. In that case the margin would improve. However, Nikon desperately needs its third-party retailers and doesn't want to cross the line too far that would take too much business from them.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
If increased sales are eventually attributed to the program, the profits will increase but not the margin.
That's definitely what I was trying to say. I should have stated that Nikon is trying to increase the portion of their direct sales compared to those made by their authorized retailer network. To me they're trying to get BOTH markups on a larger share of the Z50 bodies purchased. That is to say, from cost to wholesale AND from wholesale to retail, rather than just the first markup.
Nikon desperately needs its third-party retailers
As we've been talking about on another thread, they are discontinuing support of third-party repair shops, causing consternation and concern. Perhaps this Z50 promo indicates the same kind of thinking with regard to their authorized retailers. They are cutting out the middle man to drive their customers towards dealing directly with Nikon. It won't help the "mom and pop" stores, which are already struggling.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom