Nikon trials a 30-day trial of the Z50

Real Name
Andy
Interesting. I have a D5600 that is only a little over a year old. I'm not sure how much money I could get for it should I decide to sell it. But this little camera would be a great replacement for it.
You can probably net about $300 selling it on eBay or fredmiranda, a little more if you bundle it with a lens. Unfortunately, non-pro bodies don't hold their value very well on the used market.

Here is how Nikon is selling the Yellow plan (emphasis added by me):
"We’re so confident that you’ll fall in love with the photos and videos you’ll get with your new mirrorless Z 50 camera, especially when compared to the ones you get with your smartphone, we’ll let you try one at home for 30 days."
Bingo!! They're aiming for the smartphone audience and those who otherwise might buy an entry-level DSLR (either Nikon or another brand) or an M 4/3 (other brands since Nikon doesn't offer those). They're probably figuring that most people who already own Nikon camera body and lens(es) are going to want the Z6 or Z7 if they have plans to go mirrorless.....and that often those people will have already purchased one of those cameras plus the FTZ adapter.

Interesting. I have a D5600 that is only a little over a year old. I'm not sure how much money I could get for it should I decide to sell it. But this little camera would be a great replacement for it.
Nikon has a blow-out sale right now: D5600 + 18-55 + 70-300 for $599. I suspect you might get $300 for the same bundle selling used. The main reasons I am keeping my D5600 are 1) it is a great little camera and 2) it isn't worth much if sold.

Something I had never thought about: Do places like B&H typically assign the same value whether a trade-in or only an outright sale by the consumer is arranged?
I have had very good luck over the years trading in to District Camera (previously known as Photocraft) in Burke, Arlington and DC, and to Ace Camera out in Ashburn, VA (who now also owns Dominion Camera in Falls Church). When I was making my trade-in, when she gave me their final quote I think the woman at District Camera said that there is usually a 10% difference between trading in and outright selling the gear to the merchant. That is, you benefit more (by 10%) by trading in, since you are going to be also buying something, and the merchant does not have to hand you money out-of-pocket with nothing to show for it. Trade-ins are probably preferable for both parties unless one is in desperate need of cash and cannot buy anything new. Often the customer who is doing a trade-in also ends up buying more than just the intended item(s) -- at least I do. The merchant benefits by having the traded-in gear available to sell again in their Used Gear department and of course they'll sell it for more than they paid you. That's reasonable, though, as after all they are in business. They have online sources that they use to get an estimate (KEH is one, and B&H another, plus probably something consumers don't know about). If the customer is in the store with the products in hand, course the staff examine each camera body and lens individually, putting lenses on the body, etc., and check for things like excessive wear, mold and fungus (lenses), etc. They are usually open to a bit of negotiating, too, if the person trading in the gear feels the offer is too low.

Don't know about Ace, but District Camera has a form online that you can fill out providing a list of your gear and submit that to them, then they will provide a quote via email. The customer then has the option to either accept or reject it and if the offer is accepted, the customer ships the items to the store, where it is examined and any adjustments in the original quote are made. In my case, since I am local, I simply went to the store one day when I was ready to actually look at and handle the cameras in which I was interested, and had already prepared a listing of the gear that I wanted to trade in, which I handed over to them. A few days later I got an estimated quote in email and the next day I finished packing up my gear and took it all over to the store in Burke. For only one or two items, in the past I've just taken them over to the store without previously sending in the form. Since I had a rather extensive number of items this time, obviously much better that they have the list in hand in advance and can do their preliminary source-checking and such ahead of time rather than me unexpectedly arriving on the doorstep with a bunch of stuff!

I stated that I was ready to trade in, and told her the camera body and lenses for which I wanted to make the trade. I also was planning to purchase more than just whatever the value of the trade-in was, which I usually do anyway. I had a couple of lenses in mind and then at almost the last minute made the decision to go with a third one, and on impulse, not the one I'd vaguely been considering but another one. Not sorry that I did that but my bank account is! LOL! In a nice bit of subtle psychology the store staff got out the boxes containing the new camera body and lenses and set them out on the counter so I could feast my eyes on them, touch them (I didn't open any of the boxes) and remind myself why I was there and not focus too much on the fact that other people were handling and examining lenses and cameras that I had loved and used for years.... Examination completed, the original estimated quote was upped quite a bit (there was one item that they wanted to see in person before making an offer on it) and we firmed up the amount of the trade. Once that was done, we turned our attention to the new stuff, and since I had been in there a week earlier and handled the camera and a couple of demo lenses it wasn't necessary to open up everything again. I had a list of accessories that would be needed, too -- couple larger-capacity SSD cards, extra battery (new battery in new camera is a size I didn't already use or have at home) -- and I resisted the urge to get a new camera bag. Bagged everything up and I came home carrying a couple huge bags of new gear.....

Last edited:
I have had very good luck over the years trading in to District Camera (previously known as Photocraft) in Burke, Arlington and DC, and to Ace Camera out in Ashburn, VA (who now also owns Dominion Camera in Falls Church). When I was making my trade-in, when she gave me their final quote I think the woman at District Camera said that there is usually a 10% difference between trading in and outright selling the gear to the merchant. That is, you benefit more (by 10%) by trading in, since you are going to be also buying something, and often one ends up buying more than just the intended item(s) -- at least I do. The merchant benefits by having the traded-in gear available to sell again in their Used Gear department and of course they'll sell it for more than they paid you. That's reasonable, though, as after all they are in business. They have online sources that they use to get an estimate (KEH is one, and B&H another, plus probably something consumers don't know about). If the customer is in the store with the products in hand, course the staff examine each camera body and lens individually, putting lenses on the body, etc., and check for things like excessive wear, mold and fungus (lenses), etc. They are usually open to a bit of negotiating, too, if the person trading in the gear feels the offer is too low.

Don't know about Ace, but District Camera has a form online that you can fill out providing a list of your gear and submit that to them, then they will provide a quote via email. The customer then has the option to either accept or reject it and if the offer is accepted, the customer ships the items to the store, where it is examined and any adjustments in the original quote are made. In my case, since I am local, I simply went to the store one day when I was ready to actually look at and handle the cameras in which I was interested in buying, and had already prepared a listing of the gear that I wanted to trade in, which I handed over to them. A few days later I got an estimated quote in email and the next day I finished packing up my gear and took it all over to the store in Burke. For only one or two items, in the past I've just taken them over to the store without previously sending in the form. Since I had a rather extensive number of items this time, obviously much better that they have the list in hand in advance and can do their preliminary source-checking and such ahead of time rather than me unexpectedly arriving on the doorstep with a bunch of stuff!

I stated that I was ready to trade in, and told her the camera body and lenses for which I wanted to make the trade. I also was planning to purchase more than just whatever the value of the trade-in was, which I usually do anyway. In a nice bit of subtle psychology the store staff got out the boxes containing the new camera body and lenses and set them out on the counter so I could feast my eyes on them, touch them (I didn't open any of the boxes) and remind myself why I was there and not focus too much on the fact that other people were handling and examining lenses and cameras that I had loved and used for years.... Examination completed, the original estimated quote was upped quite a bit (there was one item that they wanted to see in person before making an offer on it) and we firmed up the amount of the trade. Once that was done, we turned our attention to the new stuff, and since I had been in there a week earlier and handled the camera and a couple of demo lenses it wasn't necessary to open up everything again. I had a list of accessories that would be needed, too -- couple larger-capacity SSD cards, extra battery (new battery in new camera is a size I didn't already use or have at home) -- and I resisted the urge to get a new camera bag. Bagged everything up and I came home carrying a couple huge bags of new gear.....
The only local camera shop left standing in our area is Mike's Camera. They only take actual trades during their semi-annual Demo Days and there is a third-party buyer there doing the appraisals. Their appraisals tend to be very low (KEH and MPB will purchase outright for more than this buyer offers).

It's interesting how some lenses or camera bodies you think will have more value turn out to have less, and how something you'd had for years and casually dismissed actually has higher value..... In general, though, unless an older camera body or lens is in really mint condition it is not going to bring as much trade-in value as one would hope. Lenses often hold their value much more than camera bodies do, especially digital cameras and especially the entry-level or consumer-grade ones (as opposed to the near-professional or outright professional bodies). Also in general the APS-C bodies and lenses are not considered as valuable as full-frame bodies and lenses. Some items, though, are viewed as rare and and do bring higher offers.

For me, trading in items towards whatever new camera or lens I am lusting after is much more convenient than it is to try and sell the item(s) outright myself, either locally or through an online transaction. I just am much more comfortable with the situation, even though I realize that probably one does often make more money selling the items independently -- that's why we have the Marketplace here and the one at Fred Miranda, etc., etc.......

Last edited:
I tested the nikon trade in value calculator for my D5600 with a 16-50 and was given a trade in value of $290.00
You mean 18-55? The only 16-50 Nikon makes is in Z-mount for the new Z 50.

You should give MPB.com a try. I bet they'll do better.

Nikon has a blow-out sale right now: D5600 + 18-55 + 70-300 for $599. I suspect you might get $300 for the same bundle selling used. The main reasons I am keeping my D5600 are 1) it is a great little camera and 2) it isn't worth much if sold.
Of course that's the non-VR version of the 70-300. It's silly that their entry-level kits include an 18-55 with VR and a 70-300 without VR. :eek:

You should give MPB.com a try. I bet they'll do better.
Considering that trading in to Nikon for a Z50 includes getting the FTZ adapter for free, selling to anyone other than Nikon would require bettering Nikon's trade-in value by at least $100 (the cost of buying the FTZ). I don't understand Nikon's logic of offering the FTZ for free when using their trade-in program combined with their trial program but charging $100 when not using the trade-in, but that's the situation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom