Nikon View NX-i editing

Hello,

I edited a jpeg photo in Nikon View NX-i. I converted it from a horizontal photo to a vertical 5*7 printout. Now I supposedly saved the file after I was done editing, and I can see the new photo, but I am unfamiliar with transferring it to my photos folder on my laptop. The photos folder on my laptop contains photos from the Nikon Transfer 2 process, so it seems after editing my photo in "view nx" it will not automatically copy into my photos folder. I need it there so I can upload it to the printing software. I'd appreciate anyone familiar and can offer a solution. Thank you!

When you save the file remember where you saved it.
If you have a PC use File Explorer to move the file.
If you have a Mac use Finder to move the file.
Hi, thanks for reaching out. I saved the file to my photos, but the original file was saved, not the edited version. Nikon View NX has the edited file. Right clicking on it doesn't offer a "save" option. So, I edited another photo and saved it under a different name. Nikon View shows the edited pic. I copied and pasted it to my photos folder and the original photo is pasted.
So here's the solution from Nikon Tech Support, who by the way was very, very helpful, she said after editing my JPG file I still must use the "convert files" function even if I am keeping the file JPG. However, her opinion is that I convert it to "TIFF" because it saves as a much larger file. Since my goal is to do some printing and framing of photos, I assume the TIFF file is the way to go.
I'll appreciate any follow up you want to offer. Thanks!

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Hi, thanks for reaching out. I saved the file to my photos, but the original file was saved, not the edited version. Nikon View NX has the edited file. Right clicking on it doesn't offer a "save" option. So, I edited another photo and saved it under a different name. Nikon View shows the edited pic. I copied and pasted it to my photos folder and the original photo is pasted.
So here's the solution from Nikon Tech Support, who by the way was very, very helpful, she said after editing my JPG file I still must use the "convert files" function even if I am keeping the file JPG. However, her opinion is that I convert it to "TIFF" because it saves as a much larger file. Since my goal is to do some printing and framing of photos, I assume the TIFF file is the way to go.
I'll appreciate any follow up you want to offer. Thanks!
They gave you good advice. The problem was that you were editing a raw file, but all that does is store the edit instructions with the file. To do anything more with the file using another program you need to output it to a JPG or a TIFF, using the Convert function.
If you had only wanted to use the Nikon View NX-i software you wouldn't need to convert. But you want to use other software to edit or print the file, or you want to send the file to someone who will print it, so you need a JPG or TIFF.

They gave you good advice. The problem was that you were editing a raw file, but all that does is store the edit instructions with the file. To do anything more with the file using another program you need to output it to a JPG or a TIFF, using the Convert function.
If you had only wanted to use the Nikon View NX-i software you wouldn't need to convert. But you want to use other software to edit or print the file, or you want to send the file to someone who will print it, so you need a JPG or TIFF.
Yes, I do want to upload images for printing, but I'm not aware how to access a Nikon View NX-I folder. I don't think it even exists. In reference to editing raw photos, I agree with you, but my original photos were shot in jpg mode. So, I still don't understand why I had to convert a jpg file to a jpg file.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Yes, I do want to upload images for printing, but I'm not aware how to access a Nikon View NX-I folder. I don't think it even exists. In reference to editing raw photos, I agree with you, but my original photos were shot in jpg mode. So, I still don't understand why I had to convert a jpg file to a jpg file.
You are right, it simply uses your existing folders.

Nikon View NX-I is primarily aimed at users who want to process their Nikon raw NEF files. That is why you have to use Convert. Yes it can edit JPG files but its thinking remains the same.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom