Nikon View Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rbsmith, Nov 18, 2005.

1. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I just downloaded and installed Nikon View. Everything appeared to go ok. When I click on the icon it opens then shuts down. What can be causing it to this? Pictureproject does this also. Nikon Capture works fine.

2. shootman

shootman Guest

I have read somewhere that you can't have both Nikon View and Picture Project installed at the same time. That may have just been for the mac platform but uninstall your least favorite and try launching again.

For the record, I tried PP and went back to NV as it really is more robust. I wish Nikon would improve PP as the GUI is nicer than NV, IMHO.

3. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    shootman,
    Thanks for trying, but that didn't work. I uninstalled PictureProject and Nikon view did the samething. Any other suggestions.
    Thanks again.

4. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I'm still trying to figure this out. Any ideas?
    Thanks

5. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Licensing issue? ...at least I know that's what happens when things go south with software at work...

6. mcampos

mcampos

Apr 14, 2005
    Norwalk, CA
    Rex,

Are you running Windows 2000 by any chance? There was an issue with View a while back that did what you describe only on some computers running W2K. My friend had that problem and we could never figure out a fix until he gave up and installed Windows XP.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I am running a 2k machine. Picture project and nikon view can not be run together.

Never had a problen. Never installed picture project either.

Never had a glitch with Nikon Capture either. Went without a hitch.

I do read alot.

8. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks for the replies. I'm running xp. I originally loaded up Pictureproject when I got my D70. It worked fine then. I really never used it. I installed NC a couple of weeks ago. At that time I tried to open up PP and it did what I'm talking about. I didn't pay it much attention because I don't use it. Then I downloaded and installed NV and it did the same thing. I uninstalled both and reinstalled NV but that didn't help. NC works fine. I emailed tech support at nikon. maybe they can help. When I ask the folks that I got my computer from they say it could be hundreds of things since they are not familer with the Nikon software.

9. mcampos

mcampos

Apr 14, 2005
    Norwalk, CA
    >> Picture project and Nikon view can not be run together <<

I read someplace that if you install Picture Project then you can install View and it would work, not sure if this is true, but I can't see any reason why these 2 programs cannot co-exist in the same computer once they are installed.

I run View and the only things I see the program loads in memory when it starts is NkvMon.exe and nvsvc32.exe. Those can be disabled and I bet Picture Project will install, maybe I'll try it, although I don't like Picture Project. I know that the NkvMon program looks to see if there are any cards inserted in a reader or a camera connected so that the transfer program will start automatically, I suspect the nvsvc32.exe has something to do with this also.