Nikon VR Question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by wind_walker, Jun 3, 2007.

1. I have the 80-400VR, and the VR cannot be left on when mounted on a tripod. On the newer, more expensive lenses, specifically the 200-400VR and 300 f2.8 VR, can the VR be left on without any issues when mounted on a tripod?

2. Out of curiosity, why cant you use VR on a tripod?

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well I leave mine on.

So give it a test and see what turns out best.

I have and VR on works best for me.
    I don 't have the greatest tripod in town.

You may have to take the lens hood off if you much breeze.

4. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was gathering some info on a couple of lenses I'm looking to buy, and in the process discovered that Nikon recommends turning VR off when the camera is mounted to a tripod.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I know what nikon says. However sometimes things work different than what nikon says

6. The idea is that your camera will be fairly well locked down on the tripod, and the VR will not have any “give” as it does when you are hand holding, and therefore cause more vibration. The only thing I have with VR is the 70-200, and you can feel it engage so see how this might be true. If my shutter speed is fast enough I turn it off anyway, so I really don’t have much experience with the issue…just passing along what I understand.

7. Thanks for the replies . . . I recall Gale having said before that she leaves it on. I'm thinking of adding a gimbal head to my tripod, and trying to get more steady. I thought I read if the camera is steady, the pics will have a ghost around them, as if out of focus with VR on. But that's a good idea, I'll stick in on a tripod, remotely release the shutter with VR on, and off, and see what happens.

I found recently that on the upper-end Canon IS lenses, it is okay to leave Image Stabilization on, and the lens is smart enough to dis-engage it if when the shutter is clicked, there is no movement. Thought maybe the high-dollar Nikon's were the same way.

Thanks again . . . and Gale, I'm still trying to get used to the 80-400, it does take a bit of adjustment on my part. And with the Kenko 1.4 on, one REALLY has to be still on the tripod . . I still don't have the hang of it.