Nikon warranty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by c6530, Aug 18, 2008.

1. c6530

c6530

Aug 15, 2008
    Norway
    I shall be travelling to Singapore next month and had been looking forward to allowing myself to be tempted if I found a good deal on the D300. Anything is bound to be cheaper than what we have to pay here in Norway.

But I have just discovered that the international warranty only covers lenses, not camera bodies. Given the problems many (?) are having with this camera, would it be unwise of me to purchase? I wonder just how common these cases of DBS and problems with certain lenses are.

I certainly wouldn't want the hassle of having to return a camera to Singapore, and given labour charges here, any saving would certainly be lost if I had to send it to Nikon Norway.

2. fivegrand

fivegrand Guest

Chris, a very good friend of mine in Norway debated the very same thing (though not Singapore). He determined that after all the dust settled (import duties, VAT, shipping, etc) that purchasing his D300 in Norway was not only a better bet, but less expensive as well.

3. c6530

c6530

Aug 15, 2008
    Norway
    I agree that having it shipped over saves little or nothing, but I ought to be able to carry it into the country without having to pay tax (though I forget what the allowance is).

I try to do my bit and support local firms, but one has to be realistic, and savings can be considerable. With the help of a VAT refund, I saved over £500 on three lenses I bought from Grays when in London a couple of months ago.