Nikon: we plan to concentrate on mid-to-high-end DSLR...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Feb 25, 2017.

1. News at Nikon Rumors revealed in an interview with Nikon executives.

2. Just what my bank account needed to hear.

3. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    All good, I want a pocket size FF retro.

4. My D810 should do me for years to come, so any of you gents are free to buy my share of the high end stuff. But seriously, mid to high end is an awfully small market!

5. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I think that's the only market left, the sub $1K stuff has been eaten up by the phone

6. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I wonder if this means they are finally going to get serious about DX lenses.

7. Great news
    100's of other non real small cute colorful cameras
    Only 1 Nikon

8. After the 16-80 what do we need

9. I am still happy with my D300s, maybe in time a D500 is in the distant future for me. I am sure this is a good move for Nikon, but it may take a few years to fully execute.

10. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Smaller lighter primes, esp. for wide angle.

11. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Wasn't that article published in 2008?

12. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    sorry...clicked on the link at "1." from 2008, and missed the one from 2/24/17.

13. Yes.

I "reuse" my FX lenses on my D500 but it would be really nice to have a true "wide angle" FOV lens that did not weigh more (and cost more) than the camera.

14. I would be happy with just a good, modern, wide-angle zoom for DX. I am quite pleased with the newest 18-35 on my D750 as it is very sharp and also quite light. Something comparable for DX would be quite interesting.

15. Among the lenses "gifted" to my son along with my old D300s is a Sigma 10-20. It is not a perfect lens but is not bad when stopped down a bit. I just never found much utility in the zoom especially such a narrow zoom range. I would prefer a faster, fixed aperture WA. I owned and sold a Nikon 12-24. That was a very good lens and while I would have liked an extra stop the fixed f/4 was very workable. Now that I think of it, I might try to find a used Tokina 12-24. They are pretty cheap and one of my shooting buddies swears by his.

16. I had a Nikon 12-24/4 back in my D200 days and used it quite a lot. Then when I got a 16-85 I found that I didn't use the 12-24 much and sold it. Now after using the 18-35 on my D750 I think I might find some use for the same range on my D7200 if the lens is correspondingly lightweight.

I don't have much desire for a large-aperture wide angle as I'm usually looking for max DOF at those focal lengths.

But we are straying from the original thread.

Added in edit: Thom Hogan says the old 12-24 is not up to the standard of the modern 24-MP sensors. I no longer have it to test this comment.

17. Good point regarding whether older lenses are up to snuff on the latest cameras and sensors. I plan to borrow my old Sigma 10-20 from my son and take it with me mid-March when I trek down to Monte Vista to commune with the cranes. Have a couple of side trips planned where the WA might be handy.

18. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Dec 26, 2010
    Annapolis
    Almost sounds like Nikon is getting ready to circle the bowl before drowning. Not good for sure.

19. I actually like this approach. If you can't please the masses then please the pros. I'm looking forward to their "fewer models" and concentrating on "mid to high end" products. It just means they will have concentrated efforts on pro/prosumer gear, instead of fighting a losing battle against cellphone cameras.