Nikon - where art thou?

Odd man out here...completely thrilled with my 7 bodys and 14 lenses.
NEVER needed service in my 9 yrs w/ Nikon (switched from 35 yrs w/Canon)
Nikon makes me $$ hand over fist...with nary a complaint. I need nothing, thx. :D

Oh, it's "where art thou" ;)

Now, why do I chuckle when I see your name and "Odd Man Out" together??? ;) To be more clear even it really is "Oh, Brother, where are thou", and then invoke the Soggy Bottom Boys who I am sure are all Nikon fanboys .....

That makes 2 old men

1 repair in 12 years and it was my fault

I have had 1 repair as well, it was Nikon's fault, pre-mature shutter failure on a D1H.

Starting a week agreeing with the two of you, what else can go wrong on a Total Solar Eclipse Day??????

( nudge-nudge-;);))

Real Name
Randy
So if they keep giving US exactly what we want I guess we're happy, my point is there are a lot of shooters thrilled with nikons dslr/s and glass and we're not looking for smaller or even better, cheaper (200-500) is always good.

If anyone is still watching this thread, with the invention of the Sony A9 that this will be the future of cameras and Nikon is not even playing as of August of 2017. The A9 has surpassed almost every limitation that mirrorless had problems with and added more features to boot. There are numerous youtube videos on the A9 that show this. Backlit scenes are now conquered, lowlight focus beats DSLR's as the video I've included shows, silent shutter, speeds over 20fps, 5 axis stabilization that can work with lens stablilized as well as lenses that are not. Seems Sony is leading the way right now. Oh, I don't own a Sony and just bought a Canon M5 to get into the mirrorless system.
Here is the video that shows the A9 out focusing the D5 in about -3EV conditions (if you just want to watch the low light focus, fast forward to the 19 minute mark). The name of the video is "
A9 vs D5 Real World Comparison - The Sony Shocked us!
Really impressive performance by the Sony. Ahead of Nikon and Canon in most regards.

When I see a kingfisher IF or a night high school football pic I'll be convinced

Here I go, agreeing with Randy twice in one day. Must be the danged eclipse :eek:

ps. Caveat. The KF must actually be alive and flying, not hung by a wire like that Monty Python parrot .....

Real Name
Ian
I'll just chime in here, as I've shot mirrorless for the past ~3-4 years (majority with m43, GH3, GH4, E-M1, E-M5 II, E-M1 II), and just recently purchased my first DSLR (D500).

Mirrorless doesn't inherently make anything smaller and/or lighter. Just look at Sony's E-mount f/2.8 zooms as proof. They're just as big and heavy (if not more so) than their CaNikon equivalents. What does make a difference is sensor size, and that's one of the reasons why I enjoy m43 so much, because I get what I find to be excellent IQ in a relatively compact package. But when you start looking at FF glass that is big/heavy, having a marginally smaller body doesn't do much for you, because it accounts for a small portion of the total weight of the kit. In fact, I think having a camera that is too small is a downside, and has caused me to laugh at many people who think cameras like the Olympus E-M1 or Panasonic GH3/GH4/GH5 are "too big" for a mirrorless camera. The reality of it is that a camera must be comfortable to hold, especially if using heavier glass, and that's where having a larger/deeper grip is an advantage. I love the grip on my E-M1 II and my D500, but the lack of a grip on my E-M5 II means I really only use it with smaller prime lenses.

Regarding the technology, IMO some things are better about mirrorless, and some things are worse. It's great having the EVF to see real-time exposure information as you're shooting, but after using the D500, I'm still convinced that an OVF is superior for following action/sports. Neither one is inherently superior to the other, it simply depends on the subject you're shooting.

I wonder what lens you could use!
Dunno, but I'd like to see a Sony do this...:p
D500 500 f4 VR

D5H_7101-001.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Regarding the technology, IMO some things are better about mirrorless, and some things are worse. It's great having the EVF to see real-time exposure information as you're shooting, but after using the D500, I'm still convinced that an OVF is superior for following action/sports. Neither one is inherently superior to the other, it simply depends on the subject you're shooting.

Well said. A point often overlooked in mirrorless discussions.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom