Nikon Wireless TTL in a softbox, outdoors

Using a single SB600 in the Westcott Apollo 28" box, outdoors at maybe a distance of 10' flash to camera. I have the SG-3IR mounted on D300, using the camera's built-in flash to activate the SB600.

The flash activation is quite sporadic, I use fresh NiMH cells and always allow a few seconds for the SB600 to recycle. I'm sure that the black fabric of the softbox *is* blocking the signal, is an SU-800 the answer? Alternatively I am quite happy to go to a radio system and use SB26 type speedlights in manual.

When I have shot indoors with the same setup, activation has always been 100%.

yes Ir out side is a crap shoot and ttl in a softbox is not going to do much either...softbox could be blocking the signal yes.....this is when you need a RF trigger like the 16 channel ebay triggers for about $30....and shoot the flash in manual as well as the camera especially outdoors.....but then I shoot 99% of the time in manual when using flash and with a flash meter for dead on accuracy.

I have played with the outdoor cls of my D300 / SB900 x 2 and it just is not worth the trouble of wondering if it will be good and I hate chimping with a client around.

I've never been happy with IR outside. Radio triggers and manual flash is my usual outside mode.

yes Ir out side is a crap shoot and ttl in a softbox is not going to do much either...softbox could be blocking the signal yes.....this is when you need a RF trigger like the 16 channel ebay triggers for about $30....and shoot the flash in manual as well as the camera especially outdoors.....but then I shoot 99% of the time in manual when using flash and with a flash meter for dead on accuracy.

I have played with the outdoor cls of my D300 / SB900 x 2 and it just is not worth the trouble of wondering if it will be good and I hate chimping with a client around.

x2. Depends on the location if you are in a little bit of shade you can get it to work but it is so intermittent that I highly recommend a set of triggers if shooting outdoors.

You will never be really happy with Nikon CLS outside. The Ezybox will make it easier for the remote to see the commander, but an on-camera flash is better for this than the popup as it can be aimed towards the remote. Radiopoppers or the newer Pocketwizards will free you from the line-of-sight limitations.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom