Nikon Worst Lens Ever, folks lets chime in.

I know this might be sacrelgious around here but we all know that Nikon has made some very garbage lens in its lifespan. I would like to see which lens used by "You" the "consumer" would include it, in this infamous list....

This list might just help someone being scammed:

Factors that should be included to be considered Nikon's worst lens ever...

1. IQ
2. Build Qual
3. Price
4. The lens just rubs you the wrong way.
5. Anything else you might consider

The original 43-86/3.5, the first zoom by Nikon, which actually gave a bad name for all zoom lenses for decades.

Or maybe the AF 28-80/3.5~5.6D made of plastic (mount too!), perhaps the cheapest built flimsy lens by Nikon ever.

Then again, Bjørn Rørslett has shot magazine cover with the first and the late Galen Rowell shot a lot of images for National Geographic with the latter. The age old adage again... it's not the lens. Even the worst lenses ever built produce great images if you know how to use them.

70-300G. Got it for 99 bucks at WalMart, so had low expectations, but poor build quality and incredibly poor contrast really failed to impress.

70-300G. Got it for 99 bucks at WalMart, so had low expectations, but poor build quality and incredibly poor contrast really failed to impress.

Wally World's actually sold a 70-300 for 99 bucks! Where was this WW at?

Got any sample pics of this horrendous lens? I would love to see some images this sub 100 dollar lens makes.

The only nikkor that I had that was really bad was a old 85-250 F4-4.5. It was from the 60's. I bought it 20 years ago. The build quaility was great but flared in any light, soft at every aperature , 13 foot minimum focus and wasnt even cheap. I bought in used. Even thinking about it makes me want to wash my hands. I pity the poor ******* I pawned it off on.I think it was some wide eyed kid with the idea that with this one lens he could do everything:tongue:. I learned him:eek:. Im sure that lens is responsible for why I have a deep seated distrust for zoom lenes. With the exception of my Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED AIS. Which is perfect in everyway:wink:.

Gregory

I too haven't had/tried a really bad Nikkor, but the 24-85 f/2.8-4 I tried recently was a real dissapointment, with lens bloom and a ghost smear along any bright edge against dark background on the long end. Whether this was design or QC I don't know, but I do know that the lens has received bad as well as good reviews, so I suspect QC ain't so hot on this one, perhaps aggravated by a design flaw that makes it susceptible..

My beloved 85 1.8 has one very serious flaw...any pinpoint light source in front of the lens causes severe green ghosts in the image.

I can't say I've used any bad Nikon glass. But I've only in the last year been buying lenses. (and I always research and read before I spend my money too....)

I too haven't had/tried a really bad Nikkor, but the 24-85 f/2.8-4 I tried recently was a real dissapointment, with lens bloom and a ghost smear along any bright edge against dark background on the long end. Whether this was design or QC I don't know, but I do know that the lens has received bad as well as good reviews, so I suspect QC ain't so hot on this one, perhaps aggravated by a design flaw that makes it susceptible..

My beloved 85 1.8 has one very serious flaw...any pinpoint light source in front of the lens causes severe green ghosts in the image.

You must of had a bad lens, because I really like it. In fact I might try looking for one once I get my D3!

R

RichNY

The worst Nikon glass I have shot with would definitely have to be the 70-300 VR.

The only nikkor that I had that was really bad was a old 85-250 F4-4.5. It was from the 60's. I bought it 20 years ago. The build quaility was great but flared in any light, soft at every aperature , 13 foot minimum focus and wasnt even cheap. I bought in used. Even thinking about it makes me want to wash my hands. I pity the poor ******* I pawned it off on.I think it was some wide eyed kid with the idea that with this one lens he could do everything:tongue:. I learned him:eek:. Im sure that lens is responsible for why I have a deep seated distrust for zoom lenes. With the exception of my Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED AIS. Which is perfect in everyway:wink:.

Gregory

Oh man... poor kid,

I use to pawn bad things off to victims I mean unsuspecting folks... but as time goes on... what goes around comes around.

I know I feel bad now. So why Im I smiling so hard my face hurts:tongue:. I think because it's gone. Im sure he passed it off to another poor victom. That lens wasnt bad , it was SATAN.

Gregory

The worst I've personally owned was a 75-240mm. I had just gotten my D70 and was broke but desperately wanted a long(er) zoom. The lens was fine from 75 to about 100mm and it just fell to pieces after that. Very cheap build, even for a consumer lens. 240mm looked like the lens elements were made of clear rock candy. Really really bad.

Ditto on loving the 70-300VR. It's not the sharpest lens Nikon ever made but for a consumer-grade long lens it's more than adequate. You must have gotten a lemon.

These ware taking with the awful 70-300mm G F5.6.
I bought it for 110€ yes it's terrible .But the 70-300 ED VR is a fine lens for it's price.

awful2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

awful1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom