Showcase Nikon Z 14-30 f/4 S

I couldn't find another thread for this lens, so I thought I would start one. I have been looking for a used 14-30 f/4 S for a while and just purchased one on FredMiranda. It arrived today. I went out in my yard in harsh midday sun to try it out. I'll share a few. All were imported into lightroom with no distortion corrections other than the lens correction that lightroom automatically does. I'm not going to share my impressions, yet, just some samples.

#1 14mm wide open at f/4
_DSC0835.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 30 mm at f/4 (PS if someone has a solution for metal furniture that has the finish falling off, please PM me. The table that is peeling is only 4 years old and the matching sofa and chairs are starting to peel on the metal parts, too.)
_DSC0836.jpg

#3 16 mm--corners seem quite sharp to me
_DSC0850.jpg

#4 14 mm--Corners slightly soft
_DSC0851.jpg

#5 14 mm
_DSC0866.jpg

#6 Up close at 14 mm
_DSC0880.jpg

#7 14 mm
_DSC0897.jpg

#8 14 mm
_DSC0900.jpg

#9 14 mm high dynamic range situation. Editing done in Lightroom, hence a little of the HDR look, but I was able to recover highlights and shadows adequately from one exposure.
_DSC0908.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Ian
I want to hear your impressions as I've been thinking about getting this lens.
While I can't speak for Terri, I can say that I used this lens extensively during my trip to the UK's Lake District earlier this year, and found it an absolute joy to use. I have no qualms about the IQ, appreciate the smaller size & weight of it being an extendable f/4 lens, and love the fact that it can accept screw-in ND filters (but be aware that there will be some vignetting that'll need to be addressed in post).

Just like the Z6, I found the lens to be maligned by many of the "reviewers" upon launch, but in actual use it delivers excellent results. I'm glad to have spent the money on it!

I couldn't find another thread for this lens, so I thought I would start one. I have been looking for a used 14-30 f/4 S for a while and just purchased one on FredMiranda. It arrived today. I went out in my yard in harsh midday sun to try it out. I'll share a few. All were imported into lightroom with no distortion corrections other than the lens correction that lightroom automatically does. I'm not going to share my impressions, yet, just some samples.

#1 14mm wide open at f/4
View attachment 1645513

#2 30 mm at f/4 (PS if someone has a solution for metal furniture that has the finish falling off, please PM me. The table that is peeling is only 4 years old and the matching sofa and chairs are starting to peel on the metal parts, too.)
View attachment 1645514

#3 16 mm--corners seem quite sharp to me
View attachment 1645515

#4 14 mm--Corners slightly soft
View attachment 1645516

#5 14 mm
View attachment 1645517

#6 Up close at 14 mm
View attachment 1645518

#7 14 mm
View attachment 1645519

#8 14 mm
View attachment 1645520

#9 14 mm high dynamic range situation. Editing done in Lightroom, hence a little of the HDR look, but I was able to recover highlights and shadows adequately from one exposure.
View attachment 1645521
Nice shots Terri, looks like you got a great lens! BTW - Your backyard looks bigger than my neighborhood city block in Los Angeles! :D

Your neighborhood city block has more people than the entire state of Idaho :D:rolleyes::p
So true!! We are all complaining because our water is metered starting this summer. It cost us $180 for water for our lawn last month. I bet there are a lot of places that have to spend that much to water a tiny lawn. I feel blessed to live where we have space, water, minimal traffic, and clean air.

While I can't speak for Terri, I can say that I used this lens extensively during my trip to the UK's Lake District earlier this year, and found it an absolute joy to use. I have no qualms about the IQ, appreciate the smaller size & weight of it being an extendable f/4 lens, and love the fact that it can accept screw-in ND filters (but be aware that there will be some vignetting that'll need to be addressed in post).

Just like the Z6, I found the lens to be maligned by many of the "reviewers" upon launch, but in actual use it delivers excellent results. I'm glad to have spent the money on it!
I feel pretty confident that my feelings about the lens will be the same as yours. Have you found any filters that work without problems. I heard on one YouTube video that NISI ffilters work well. I would like to get a ND filter. Do you use a polarizer on yours? I've had trouble with polarizers on wide angle lenses in the past because of the nature of wide angles and polarizers. The effect is much stronger on one side of the frame. If you have any of your photos that you are willing to share, I'm sure we would all learn a lot about the lens from seeing them.

Real Name
Ian
I feel pretty confident that my feelings about the lens will be the same as yours. Have you found any filters that work without problems. I heard on one YouTube video that NISI ffilters work well. I would like to get a ND filter. Do you use a polarizer on yours? I've had trouble with polarizers on wide angle lenses in the past because of the nature of wide angles and polarizers. The effect is much stronger on one side of the frame. If you have any of your photos that you are willing to share, I'm sure we would all learn a lot about the lens from seeing them.
I tend not to use CPL filters because of the uneven polarization effect in the sky. I use Haida 82mm PRO screw-in filters, and they worked great (minus the darkened corners which needed to be addressed in post, and that was pretty much solely with the 10-stop filter. the 3 & 6 stop filters I didn't notice too much of an issue with).

I do also have slot-in filters for graduated ND's, but tend not to use them unless it's really necessary. They take up so much more space than screw-in filters do.

I hope others with the lens will share photos. I need to find a little time to get out and shoot with it.
I need to find the time to edit some of my photos from our vacation back in June. Once I get through those, I'll have plenty of images to populate this thread with

I've had trouble with polarizers on wide angle lenses in the past because of the nature of wide angles and polarizers. The effect is much stronger on one side of the frame.
Don't include the sky and you won't have any problems with it. :ROFLMAO: Seriously, I mention that only for the readers of this thread who don't realize that the issue you mention pertains only to the sky; if the scene doesn't include the sky, it won't be an issue.

I tend not to use CPL filters because of the uneven polarization effect in the sky. I use Haida 82mm PRO screw-in filters, and they worked great (minus the darkened corners which needed to be addressed in post, and that was pretty much solely with the 10-stop filter. the 3 & 6 stop filters I didn't notice too much of an issue with).

I do also have slot-in filters for graduated ND's, but tend not to use them unless it's really necessary. They take up so much more space than screw-in filters do.

I need to find the time to edit some of my photos from our vacation back in June. Once I get through those, I'll have plenty of images to populate this thread with
I sure appreciate the great info you have shared here in regards to filters. I look forward to seeing your photos.

Excellent, Terri. Looks like you are learning this lens very quickly. I especially like #5 and #6 because of the foreground interest.
I've had two other wide angle lenses, so I have had some experience, but I haven't used them much. Hopefully this lens will be different. I always enjoy the drama of a good wide angle shot.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Wonderful examples Terri. The Z platform delivers a lens correction profile in the raw file. Lightroom (and Adobe Camera Raw I assume) and Capture One will use it and automatically apply lens corrections. The Nikon profiles are not perfect, but pretty darn good. These look great!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom