Showcase Nikon Z 14-30 f/4 S

Real Name
Ian
It’s not a bad lens for group selfies. A shot of my wife and I enjoying one of many tarns in the UK’s Lake District earlier this summer.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I shared some images from my first outing with the lens here. Our Evening Walk
Here is one of the images I shared. A three exposure blend. The foreground flowers were slightly moving in a breeze. I'm very happy with the sharpness of the lens. Can't wait to try it out when we go to Glacier National Park soon. While this is a pretty landscape, compositions are very hard as it is a rocky cliff. It's on a nature walk close to home so we go there fairly often.

Real Name
Aaron
I hope others with the lens will share photos. I need to find a little time to get out and shoot with it.
With the current fall sale, I am going to pick up the 14-30mm as a replacement for my Sigma 12-24mm Art. The Sigma offers no benefit for its heft, suffering from irritating flare issues and field curvature, even if it provides an extra 2mm on the wide end... I will add some examples when I get a chance!

With the current fall sale, I am going to pick up the 14-30mm as a replacement for my Sigma 12-24mm Art. The Sigma offers no benefit for its heft, suffering from irritating flare issues and field curvature, even if it provides an extra 2mm on the wide end... I will add some examples when I get a chance!
I would love to see what you do with the lens.

Real Name
Aaron
My initial assessment from using the 14-30mm is that Nikon must have used some sort of sorcery or black magic to create this lens! It’s really a stellar performer that is drastically smaller and lighter than most other ultra wide lenses. After having used many ultrawides (Nikon 16-35, 18-35, Sigma Art 14-24, 12-24, Tamron 15-30, Samyang 14mm, and many more for other formats) the 14-30mm ranks up there with the best of them, and performs better on many fronts. Flare is especially well-controlled, the Achilles heel of the Sigma 12-24mm Art that I had been using (very prone to a large purple/blue blob in the frame near any bright light source).

The 14-30mm’s image quality is very similar to the Z 24-70mm f/4, which is to say very good and very even across the frame. Not the absolute highest sharpness, but much more consistent than many other high performing ultrawides.

A few samples taken this week:

My initial assessment from using the 14-30mm is that Nikon must have used some sort of sorcery or black magic to create this lens! It’s really a stellar performer that is drastically smaller and lighter than most other ultra wide lenses. After having used many ultrawides (Nikon 16-35, 18-35, Sigma Art 14-24, 12-24, Tamron 15-30, Samyang 14mm, and many more for other formats) the 14-30mm ranks up there with the best of them, and performs better on many fronts. Flare is especially well-controlled, the Achilles heel of the Sigma 12-24mm Art that I had been using (very prone to a large purple/blue blob in the frame near any bright light source).

The 14-30mm’s image quality is very similar to the Z 24-70mm f/4, which is to say very good and very even across the frame. Not the absolute highest sharpness, but much more consistent than many other high performing ultrawides.

A few samples taken this week:

View attachment 1649250

View attachment 1649251
Looks good....except for one thing. I'm terrified of snakes and you must have been awfully close to that one!!

In autumn I had the chance to loan this lens from a friend. I quite liked it. So much, I've just ordered it myself. It should be arriving toda!y :)

_DSC2625-Edit.jpg

_DSC2668-Edit-2.jpg

_DSC3018-Edit.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom