Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S

Real Name
Ian
It’s not a bad lens for group selfies. A shot of my wife and I enjoying one of many tarns in the UK’s Lake District earlier this summer.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I shared some images from my first outing with the lens here. Our Evening Walk
Here is one of the images I shared. A three exposure blend. The foreground flowers were slightly moving in a breeze. I'm very happy with the sharpness of the lens. Can't wait to try it out when we go to Glacier National Park soon. While this is a pretty landscape, compositions are very hard as it is a rocky cliff. It's on a nature walk close to home so we go there fairly often.

Real Name
Aaron
I hope others with the lens will share photos. I need to find a little time to get out and shoot with it.
With the current fall sale, I am going to pick up the 14-30mm as a replacement for my Sigma 12-24mm Art. The Sigma offers no benefit for its heft, suffering from irritating flare issues and field curvature, even if it provides an extra 2mm on the wide end... I will add some examples when I get a chance!

With the current fall sale, I am going to pick up the 14-30mm as a replacement for my Sigma 12-24mm Art. The Sigma offers no benefit for its heft, suffering from irritating flare issues and field curvature, even if it provides an extra 2mm on the wide end... I will add some examples when I get a chance!
I would love to see what you do with the lens.

Real Name
Aaron
My initial assessment from using the 14-30mm is that Nikon must have used some sort of sorcery or black magic to create this lens! It’s really a stellar performer that is drastically smaller and lighter than most other ultra wide lenses. After having used many ultrawides (Nikon 16-35, 18-35, Sigma Art 14-24, 12-24, Tamron 15-30, Samyang 14mm, and many more for other formats) the 14-30mm ranks up there with the best of them, and performs better on many fronts. Flare is especially well-controlled, the Achilles heel of the Sigma 12-24mm Art that I had been using (very prone to a large purple/blue blob in the frame near any bright light source).

The 14-30mm’s image quality is very similar to the Z 24-70mm f/4, which is to say very good and very even across the frame. Not the absolute highest sharpness, but much more consistent than many other high performing ultrawides.

A few samples taken this week:

My initial assessment from using the 14-30mm is that Nikon must have used some sort of sorcery or black magic to create this lens! It’s really a stellar performer that is drastically smaller and lighter than most other ultra wide lenses. After having used many ultrawides (Nikon 16-35, 18-35, Sigma Art 14-24, 12-24, Tamron 15-30, Samyang 14mm, and many more for other formats) the 14-30mm ranks up there with the best of them, and performs better on many fronts. Flare is especially well-controlled, the Achilles heel of the Sigma 12-24mm Art that I had been using (very prone to a large purple/blue blob in the frame near any bright light source).

The 14-30mm’s image quality is very similar to the Z 24-70mm f/4, which is to say very good and very even across the frame. Not the absolute highest sharpness, but much more consistent than many other high performing ultrawides.

A few samples taken this week:

View attachment 1649250

View attachment 1649251
Looks good....except for one thing. I'm terrified of snakes and you must have been awfully close to that one!!

In autumn I had the chance to loan this lens from a friend. I quite liked it. So much, I've just ordered it myself. It should be arriving toda!y :)

_DSC2625-Edit.jpg

_DSC2668-Edit-2.jpg

_DSC3018-Edit.jpg

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
My local dealer had one at €950, (they are €1400 new here in Italy) the lens was practically unused, the hood was still in its wrapping in the box. The 16-35 which I bought for VR and was a bit of a double went in part exchange.

I went into town to day to see what it was like in the field compared to my old M43 7-14 an old Sigma 12-24 and the Nikon 16-35. My first impression is that this lens coupled with the very good IBIS in my Z7 has taken me to another planet.

I have an old church in town that I use for test shots and I tried it out here today. I wanted to see what low light interior architecture photography was like with this lens on a Z7.

For interior shots the M43 7-14 and Sigma suffer from flare badly if any windows fall into the scene, the 16-35 was much better, but this lens is the winner.

Here are some of my first test shots. I think this lens is going to be a favourite!

I'm going to try to upload a full resolution image. Curiously, the post seems to lose some acuity . . . So far I'm very pleased with the sharpness of this lens:
2020 06 08 3-10 PM004.jpg

Real Name
Steve
This was my hero shot with the 14-30. I don't use wides that often, I "see" more in the 50-85mm range, a 24-105 Z lens will live on my camera 95% of the time when it is released, but when I needed it, it saved the day.

Real Name
Paul
An UWA is my go to lens. I see the world W I D E ! If the Z6 works for me (it’s arriving tomorrow!), the 14-30 will be my first purchase aside from the kit lens. My go to UWA lens at the moment is the Panasonic Leica 8-18, which is a very nice performer, but from what I’ve seen, the 14-30 looks just as good. That’s quite an achievement if so, given that it’s about the same size and weight, but has an even wider FoV and it projects an image twice the linear dimensions!

Real Name
Ian
An UWA is my go to lens. I see the world W I D E ! If the Z6 works for me (it’s arriving tomorrow!), the 14-30 will be my first purchase aside from the kit lens. My go to UWA lens at the moment is the Panasonic Leica 8-18, which is a very nice performer, but from what I’ve seen, the 14-30 looks just as good. That’s quite an achievement if so, given that it’s about the same size and weight, but has an even wider FoV and it projects an image twice the linear dimensions!
Paul,

I had the PL 8-18 on my E-M1 II, and have the 14-30/4 S on my Z6. I think you’ll be very pleased with not only the Z6, but the 14-30 as well. It, along with the 24-70/4 S, make for a great compact FF kit.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom