Showcase Nikon Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I managed to pick up one of the first copies of this lens, when it arrived here in Italy. Today I stole a couple of hours to test it out with my Z7 out of town and then in the centre of Reggio Emilia.

I am very happy so far with this lens after a bad start. My Z7 still had V1 Firmare. The files loaded uncorrected into DXO my Raw software. also the VR was greyed out. V3 Firmware solved all the problems.

First impression are of a very versatile lens for travel and just casual out for a walk stuff. It seems very sharp, with good contrast, although I have not done any pixel peeping. It is quite liberating just to have one lens that deals with wide to long all in on lens.

I think I made the right decision to get the Z7+24-200 as a one lens hiking solution.

Recommended.

Here are some pictures that have been processed, with small adjustments to contrast, saturation and such. They are mostl uncropped.

DSC_1828_DxOsmall.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1 Lenin in Cavriago RE

DSC_1816_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_1861_DxOsmall.jpg

3 Reggio Emilia

DSC_1752_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_1769_DxOsmall.jpg

5 Tower House

DSC_1744_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_1810_DxOsmall.jpg

7 Canossa

DSC_1733_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_1726_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_1774_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_1848_DxOsmall.jpg

12 Reggio Emilia - Cropped
DSC_1838_DxOsmall.jpg

Last edited:
I find this data on minimum focus distance at NikonUSA:

1.64 ft. (0.5m) at 24mm zoom position
1.78 ft. (0.54m) at 35mm zoom position
1.81 ft. (0.55m) at 50mm zoom position
1.91 ft. (0.58m) at 70mm zoom position
2.14 ft. (0.65m) at 105mm zoom position
2.24 ft. (0.68m) at 135mm zoom position
2.30 ft. (0.7m) at 200mm zoom position

Real Name
Andrew
I already have my name on the list at 2 local stores. Once comes in and the credit card is going to get some exercise! LOL

Real Name
John Van Atta
I don't see any color tinting on those fountains. Nicer bokeh than any zoom from 10 years ago. It looks like it's outperforming the listed specs.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
These look very good and are increasing the temptation level for me.

How about close focusing?

I just had a couple of hours before and after a site meeting. So my test was just to get the feel of the lens.

The lack of lens profiles made me experiment with Capture One Nikon Express and Nikon NXD.

NXD seems clunky, but Capture One looks interesting as it has a different "look". DXO seems to be reading the lens profiles now that I have updated the firmware.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I don't see any color tinting on those fountains. Nicer bokeh than any zoom from 10 years ago. It looks like it's outperforming the listed specs.

Here is a closeup up the fountain in Capture One with just a touch of exposure lifting.
DSC_1847.jpg
Indeed the colour tinting is good and can be improved with a little CA removal in post.

PS it looks worse here than FS on my screen at home.

Real Name
John Van Atta
Yeah, I see tiny traces of purple there in the close up. Still, it's an excellent performance, on par with excellent apochromatic primes.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Yeah, I see tiny traces of purple there in the close up. Still, it's an excellent performance, on par with excellent apochromatic primes.

I noticed that one of the shots has colour fringing. It was processed in DXO which does not support this lens. I processed in Nikon NX D and it went away. This is a long lens shot with no PP in the blow up.

NXD seems to do the best conversions, but it is new to me and I am having getting problems getting results I like.

DSC_1783_DxOsmall.jpg

This was processed in DXO and has purple fringing on the trees RHS
DSC_1782_00001.jpg

A quick and crude conversion and correction in Nikon NX D

DSC_1783_00001.jpg

Real Name
John Van Atta
I expect some amount of purple fringing on the edges and corners, the 24-70/4 certainly has its share, especially at the wide end.

Real Name
Randy
I noticed that one of the shots has colour fringing. It was processed in DXO which does not support this lens. I processed in Nikon NX D and it went away. This is a long lens shot with no PP in the blow up.

NXD seems to do the best conversions, but it is new to me and I am having getting problems getting results I like.

View attachment 1665262
View attachment 1665263

View attachment 1665261
those look great, nice edge sharpness

View attachment 1665262
View attachment 1665263

View attachment 1665261
Quite a color difference between those two - at least on my MBP. The top looks more cool/neutral and the bottom one is definitely pushing toward warm. Is it the same on your monitor?

Real Name
Steve
I posted this in the other thread. SOOC JPG at 24mm.
SRH_8906.JPG

Real Name
Ian
This lens is looking more and more tempting as my primary travel lens. I may have to put my name on the list at my local dealer, and see how it compares to the 24-70/4 S.

If it‘s just as good as the 24-70 (or really close), then there’s no need to hold on to the 24-70 IMO.

Latest threads

Top Bottom