Nikon z 24-70 F4 indoors

I am currently looking at getting the Nikon z 24-70 F4 as my indoor and forest path walk around lens.
Indoors it will mostly be smaller stuff like birthdays, confirmations, baptisms and things of that nature, the rest of the time i will use it when walking around forest paths. Including as a general walk around pictures that do not require a lot of reach.

My current camera is a Nikon Z50 which the current plan is to replace with either a Z7 or Z7II spring 2021.
Is an aperture of F4 enough for indoor shooting (none pro stuff), or should i save up for an F2,8 for what i plan.
(looking online gives me mixed answers)

the long term plan is to mostly have Z mount lenses, and maybe only use the FTZ for the long tele zoom i am looking at.

Last edited:
Real Name
Phil
F/4 is good enough unless it is really very dim. Z7 has very good high ISO performance.

I use it a lot indoor and it's lighter and less bulky to carry around than a F/2.8.

Thx for the info
I might get the Z 24-70 used via ebay or the like, before getting a new body by spring.
I know that not having stabilization until then will be a challenge, but i should be fine and it might teach me a few things in that time.

Real Name
Andrew
As mentioned , it will be ok for anything decently lit. However, you may want to consider supplementing it with a prime lens. I recommend the 35 or 50 z mount primes. However, if budget is a consideration, even the 35/50 f-mount primes will serve well.

thx for the tip :)
Currently where i live the primes cost about the same as the 24-70 F4 new.
i plan to get either the 20 or the 24mm F1,8 for my landscape, astro and night street pictures.

(the 50mm is cheaper)

Apart from a tele zoom i am looking at for birds and wildlife, the rest of my lenses will be Z lenses as i find the FTZ leaves some compromises.

i may end up having the 50mm added to my list as well, since i sometimes do not need wide angle during my night shots.

Current plan for my lenses are.

Nikon Z 20 or 24mm F1.8
Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Nikon Z 50mm F1,8S (very tempted)
Sigma 60-600 with FTZ

I have the 24-70 f4 as well as the 50 f1.8 S lens. For what I like to shoot indoors the 50 is working the best for me. I haven't used the 24-70 nearly as much indoors since I purchased the 50. I am usually doing photos of family events when I am shooting indoors. Do you have an FTZ? You could get the 24-70 f4 for your forest shots and possibly pick up an inexpensive 50 f1.8G or the 35 1.8 DX lens for your Z50 to use indoors on the FTZ until you feel you could purchase an S Prime lens. That is what I did.

Thx for the info :)
A few weeks ago i sold my Z50, and am now waiting to get a Z7II. Also this week i am ordering the Sigma 60-600.
When my old lenses sell i an getting the 24mm F.18 Z lens, and am looking for lenses that are good for IR photography.

Thx for the info
I might get the Z 24-70 used via ebay or the like, before getting a new body by spring.
I know that not having stabilization until then will be a challenge, but i should be fine and it might teach me a few things in that time.
Not sure why you say that. The Z6, Z6II, Z7 and Z7II all have in body image stabilization (IBIS). The 24-70 f4 does not, in fact, have VR but the IBIS provides stabilization to most any lens attached to one of the above. This is in contrast to the Z50 which does not have IBIS but depends upon lens VR for image stabilization.

Had a nikon Z50 at the time of posting, and with the Z 24-70 F4 would be an interesting learning curve in lower light, since neither have stabilization. But now the Z50 has been sold for a while, and tomorrow i am picking up a Z7II.
(has been aware the Z50 is the only Z body without IBIS, the whole time well before posting)

As Andrew said, it all depends on how dark the indoors is.
Old saying, "in LOW light, FAST glass wins."

There are places where f/4 would be fine, but there are others where both f/1.8 and high ISO is needed.
The f/1.8 prime is a bit over two stops faster than the f/4 zoom.

If you don't want to carry the weight of a f/2.8 zoom, I definitely recommend adding a f/1.8 prime, either a 50 or 35.

My personal setup is a short zoom f/4 or f/2.8 AND a relatively fast prime f/1.8.
I use the equivalent of a 35 because, if I am indoors in low light, it is likely to be cramped; so a wide seems a better choice than a normal. But this depends on what you shoot and what lens is available for your camera.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom