Showcase Nikon Z 50mm f/1.2 S

As there is no 50 f1.2S thread, I thought I would start one.

I purchased this lens about a month ago and it is possibly my favourite lens, now. Superb sharpness right from wide open and across the frame at all apertures. Beautiful bokeh and colour rendition.

As I was trying out the new Nikon 50 f1.2S lens on a few subjects, a wild King Parrot landed in our franginpani tree out the back. He sometimes visits, mostly in spring mostly with his mate, and we can sometimes feed them some seed if we are careful. I haven't seen the female for a few days, but we are speculating that she is possibly on the nest as it spring here in Austalia. The male, and female for that matter, have both been very keen to get food, so we are thinking that they are feeding young and are thus a little more bold and not so concerned with us. I took a tray of seed out and put it down in the usual spot, but instead he flew into the house and landed on my grandsons toy kitchen cooktop! What an opportunity to try out the lens! After I took a few shots, I had to then get the tray of seed and get him to jump on it and then very carefully take him outside whilst on the tray feeding! I did it this way as if we tried to shoo him out, he may have flown into a window and that would have been disasterous. Anyway, I am really chuffed at being able to interact with these beautiful birds. I love these birds.

Z7II + 50 f1.2S, f2, 1/320sec, ISO640
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Z7II + 50 f1.2S, f1.2, 1/320sec, ISO200
original.jpg

Our pet rabbit, "Cinnamon Bun"

Z7II + 50 f1.2S, f1.2, 1/160sec, ISO110
original.jpg

Z7II + 50 f1.2S, f1.2, 1/1600sec, ISO64
original.jpg

Z7II + 50 f1.2S, f1.2, 1/800sec, ISO80
original.jpg

I do NOT need another lens. I do not need another lens. My wife will leave me if I buy another lens. Hope she's happy. Ordered. ?
Really? You've ordered the lens, Rick? Wow!! However, I take no responsibility!! LOL.

It's a *stunning* lens.

One from today:
26 photo stacked photos at f4, Z7II.
Being in lockdown, it is difficult to get out to take some "street" photos for which the 50 f1.2S is great for. So, seeing as it is spring and my wife's flowers have never looked better, I decided to take a shot of her Hippeastrums or Amaryllis.
original.jpg

A few more.
Z7II + 50 f1.2S
original.jpg

original.jpg

11 stacked images
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Hey, not posted in a very very long time, but thought I'd show the 50/1.2 a bit of love since this thread is a bit short of posts.

DSC_3945.jpg

DSC_3965.jpg

DSC_4008.jpg

Just got the Z9 and testing the 50mm f/1.2 on it with Reikan FoCal. Oddly, the AF part of the software disagreed with other parts of the software, but I settled on a +1 setting for the AF fine tune using it and refining it with a slant ruler.

I found the Aperture Test part of the software interesting as it generated the following chart showing the optimal apertures for the f/1.2 lens. Guess I should avoid f/1.6 to f/2.8 and beyond maybe f/10. Best seems around f/5 which I will do for a photo walk along with some f/1.2 shots for bokeh demonstrations.

Nikon-50mm-f1.2-Aperture-Test.jpg

I need to try their Stabilization Test as I don't know if the lens missed focus or if I shook too much at slow speeds (~1/5 second). I think my Olympus IBIS and Lens IS is a bit better overall, but maybe having less sensor mass to move makes it quicker in response to my movements.

Last edited:
First outing with the Z9 and 50mm f/1.2. Looking for bokeh and some at best aperture of around f/5 on mine shown above. Done in ON1 Photo RAW 2023. All shot at ISO 64 and alternating using f/1.2 and f/5 during the walk. Auto white balance seemed good overall even in the software.

_DSC0875 977.jpg
Custom 040.jpg
Custom 109.jpg
Custom 405.jpg
Custom 743.jpg
Custom 594.jpg
Custom 746.jpg
Custom 923.jpg
Custom_ 025.jpg
Custom_725.jpg

Bokeh seemed clear of secondary artifacts and ghosting. Didn't appear busy at all. Nice!

I had to make a lens preset in ON1 for shooting at f/1.2 as it vignettes a lot there, and more than the camera compensates for. Seems sharp overall and very little CA to be concerned with as shown in the razor wire fence where it can show up badly with some lenses being a high contrast area. Spider webs came through.

I need to find out where my limits are with the shutter speed hand-holding this camera though.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
First outing with the Z9 and 50mm f/1.2. Looking for bokeh and some at best aperture of around f/5 on mine shown above. Done in ON1 Photo RAW 2023. All shot at ISO 64 and alternating using f/1.2 and f/5 during the walk. Auto white balance seemed good overall even in the software.

View attachment 1734199 View attachment 1734201 View attachment 1734203 View attachment 1734205 View attachment 1734207 View attachment 1734209 View attachment 1734211 View attachment 1734213 View attachment 1734215 View attachment 1734217

Bokeh seemd clear of secondary artifacts and ghosting. Didn't appear busy at all. Nice!

I had to make a lens preset in ON1 for shooting at f/1.2 as it vignettes a lot there, and more than the camera compensates for. Seems sharp overall and very little CA to be concerned with as shown in the razor wire fence where it can show up badly with some lenses being a high contrast area. Spider webs came through.

I need to find out where my limits are with the shutter speed hand-holding this camera though.
The lens is incredible and you use it very well.

Kind regards
Klaus

The lens is incredible and you use it very well.

Kind regards
Klaus
Thanks!

Really happy with it. Bought it as I love the Voigtlander 29mm f/0.8 and Kipon 40mm f/0.85 III Noctons for the m43 gear I have. Different emotion and look using the faster glass which seems to add some depth to a print, although those two lenses are manual focus only so I have to rely on Magnify and Focus Peaking a lot and I set the Olympus E-M1X Fn1 and Fn2 buttons up that way. Did same for the Z9 as well.

My first outings with these types of fast lenses wasn't good. I was ready to send the Voigtlander 29mm f/0.8 back as it was too soft to the point I thought it was de-centered or a bad copy, but it was me not knowing how to use it. The Nikon 50mm f/1.2 was easier to learn being it also has AF.

Also bought it to shoot HSS at 1/32,000 second on the Z9 with old flashbulbs as explained here.

Bad part of owning fast glass is the extra weight though. The Z9 having the grip makes it more bearable on my wrists than the Z7 II I got rid of. I put a leather Camdapter hand-strap to a Kirk base-plate on the Z9 and hand-carried it for a couple of hours in the walk without an issue.

This lens is my goto and I used it on every shoot. I know I posted this shot in the people section but I just shot this Saturday with the 50 f1.2 on the Z at 1.2 ISO 200 at 1/100 and it is sharp and allows great lower light work.
898181FE-478F-40D5-A3FB-12F8996C89C0.jpeg

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
A pic of my new lens taken with my iPad, nothing worthy to post yet imaged with the lens, it sure has been fun using today. Looks huge on the z6ii, but balances well. Oh, I dusted off an old Lowe pro Toploader 70, fits the lens/camera combo perfectly.

8239A6BB-E11C-46D7-84B3-9DAC95BC6B06.jpeg

BCD8207D-F9A4-45D5-BADD-ADCCEA3BB225.jpeg

Latest threads

Top Bottom