Showcase Nikon Z 50mm f/1.8 S

Real Name
Randy
It's always a fair question particularly when there is a significant difference in cost. I am more comfortable (that is I tend to 'frame' shots) around 40mm - 35 always seemed to wide and 50 seemed just not quite tight enough- some of my favorite lenses were the Panny 20mm on M43 and Nikon 40mm on DX - so I get that 50mm isn't a FL you gravitate towards.

For an A/B comparison, I think the answer is 'it depends.' I always thought the central sharpness of the 50g was pretty good stopped down even to f2 or f2.8. The 'oh my' moment for me came when I realized I was looking at an unsharpened RAW file from the 50S and it looked as clear as a sharpened 50g all the way out to the edges. I think the files have more micro-contrast which makes them look sharper and gives them a certain 'presence'. I think many of the examples in this thread show that - even at the reduced resolutions we post at.
I agree, some of the pics have that special 3d look with separation and more detail and sharper edge to edge, I saw it in some of Jim's pics 1st.

It's always a fair question particularly when there is a significant difference in cost. I am more comfortable (that is I tend to 'frame' shots) around 40mm - 35 always seemed to wide and 50 seemed just not quite tight enough- some of my favorite lenses were the Panny 20mm on M43 and Nikon 40mm on DX - so I get that 50mm isn't a FL you gravitate towards.

For an A/B comparison, I think the answer is 'it depends.' I always thought the central sharpness of the 50g was pretty good stopped down even to f2 or f2.8. The 'oh my' moment for me came when I realized I was looking at an unsharpened RAW file from the 50S and it looked as clear as a sharpened 50g all the way out to the edges. I think the files have more micro-contrast which makes them look sharper and gives them a certain 'presence'. I think many of the examples in this thread show that - even at the reduced resolutions we post at.
Yup, that matches my experience and findings to a T. The S glass and the Z body also play extremely well with the Mieke extension rings that I have.

Our Garden
_JZ64076.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Voracious deer prevent us planting anything in the yard, so my wife resorts to gardening on the deck.

This was a raw file converted in DxO PL3. The only adjustment was to turn on lens sharpening at default settings.

Voracious deer prevent us planting anything in the yard, so my wife resorts to gardening on the deck.

This was a raw file converted in DxO PL3. The only adjustment was to turn on lens sharpening at default settings.
Very nice Jim...as for deer, we have had a similar problem - though not so. much since we constructed raised beds ( 30 inches - high enough that my arthritic back doesn't deter me from helping with the gardening now) and added netting on a moveable fixed frame.

Very nice Jim...as for deer, we have had a similar problem - though not so. much since we constructed raised beds ( 30 inches - high enough that my arthritic back doesn't deter me from helping with the gardening now) and added netting on a moveable fixed frame.

Thanks, Bob. I would be interested in seeing pictures of that setup, though not perhaps in this thread.

Perhaps 50mm f1.8 is the most unassuming lens in the Z lineup but I find it be a real gem.
Z7 with old firmware and single shot at f1.8, there is lot of noise how other cameras are better at focusing :p

Street scene 2019, Glasgow, Scotland.
8AE32656-26BC-48CB-A69D-4207C48A8F5D.jpeg

Good indoors, even after few drinks.
Pots Still Pub on Hope Street in Glasgow.
F1.8 iso 3200.
DE9AEC04-5279-42B5-8B3E-0EA2CE8F7D0E.jpeg

We were at my grandson's birthday party last night. It was a beautiful evening so we sat on the patio with mixed lighting when it was nearly dark. The 50 f1.8S and Z6 did a good job. I'm happy with the results on these considering the difficult circumstances. The reduced web versions may not show it, but the originals are very sharp.
_DSC5215.jpg
_DSC5203.jpg
_DSC5228.jpg

Good indoors, even after few drinks.
Pots Still Pub on Hope Street in Glasgow.
F1.8 iso 3200.
View attachment 1670205

Excellent job getting both the glass and the face in sharp focus. Very nice photo.
We were at my grandson's birthday party last night. It was a beautiful evening so we sat on the patio with mixed lighting when it was nearly dark. The 50 f1.8S and Z6 did a good job. I'm happy with the results on these considering the difficult circumstances. The reduced web versions may not show it, but the originals are very sharp. View attachment 1670317

That "blowing out the candles" shot is top-notch. I always struggle getting the exposure right on these. I think you were helped by the dim evening light, but you nailed it anyway.

I wonder if we shot these 2 lenses side by side if we could tell the diff in pics
As I am considering upgrading some lenses I have been pondering the same question.
I have come to the conclusion the answer to the above question depends on who the "we" is.
As photographers were have trained our eyes. Our trained eyes know what to look for- microcontrast, bokeh, correct color rendering, no CA, no distortion. Our eyes are trained.
People that are not photographers, the rest of the world- I have heard them called non-combatants, don't have a clue. They do not know what to look for. It is like trying to explain Shakespeare to an illiterate soul.
So although we ooh and ahh over terrific glass the rest of the world could care less.
The past masters in photography- the famous dead guys- all used equipment and glass much more primitive than anything we can buy- yet they made wonderful art that will survive generations. My sharp as a tack images will be forgotten.
So if you want great glass- go for it.
But, IMHO, it will not make our art any different. At the same time I am still looking to upgrade some glass, but I realize sadly, it is only for me.
gary

Real Name
Andrew
50141358178_257a45ac1c_o.jpg

50409607538_22de308283_o.jpg

50410313811_daf66d847c_o.jpg

50410313741_8b6a709fd0_o.jpg

50602986731_55d028844c_k.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom