Nikon Z 7II pricing....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
So, I've just started thinking seriously about a Z7 II. I haven't a clue as to what Nikon has been doing price-wise! LOL! Just wondering if patience will pay off..........

So - what is a "good" price for the Z7 II? B&H has the body + FTX through 8/15 for $3,097, which they say is a savings of $150. Is that about the best price or could it possibly go lower during the holidays?

I'd also like to get the 24-70/2.8 and 14-24......

Eldar @District camera will most likely beat anyone out there.
I thought Nikon kept pretty strict control of authorized dealer's pricing? I thought that how they deal was when you traded in something and/or threw in freebees (XQD cards one of the more useful options). But otherwise Nikon dictates prices for their specific equipment to the dealers.

Karen - I think they sometimes have holiday deals, and if the Z9 comes out you may see a boatload of refurbs and/or used Z7's. One problem is that the rumors are that there is going to be a major firmware upgrade to the Z6/7 II's - and if they do that I suspect there won't be much (if any) of a sale.

But the one sure way to tell when there is going to be a price drop is to watch when I upgrade a body - the price invariably drops soon after my purchase date + the return period . . . :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I thought Nikon kept pretty strict control of authorized dealer's pricing? I thought that how they deal was when you traded in something and/or threw in freebees (XQD cards one of the more useful options). But otherwise Nikon dictates prices for their specific equipment to the dealers.

Karen - I think they sometimes have holiday deals, and if the Z9 comes out you may see a boatload of refurbs and/or used Z7's. One problem is that the rumors are that there is going to be a major firmware upgrade to the Z6/7 II's - and if they do that I suspect there won't be much (if any) of a sale.

But the one sure way to tell when there is going to be a price drop is to watch when I upgrade a body - the price invariably drops soon after my purchase date + the return period . . . :)
Even if they announce the Z9.......I think it will be 3-6 months before there are a reasonable quantity of them being shipped. Thus, I think the refurbs and used Z7 IIs will likely start showing in the late spring and summer. At least that is what has frequently happened in the past. Remember the long, long waits for the D850....and then the grips were super hard to get? (Or was that an earlier 8XX???? Either way, you get my point......)

So, I've just started thinking seriously about a Z7 II. I haven't a clue as to what Nikon has been doing price-wise! LOL! Just wondering if patience will pay off..........

So - what is a "good" price for the Z7 II? B&H has the body + FTX through 8/15 for $3,097, which they say is a savings of $150. Is that about the best price or could it possibly go lower during the holidays?

I'd also like to get the 24-70/2.8 and 14-24......
Hope you get one for a good price. Personally, I think you will not be disappointed. I've found that for IQ I have no problems picking up the Z7II for stills, even over the D6. For moving objects not so much. Hopefully a major firmware update will address some of that. then there is always the Z9 coming fairly soon. Will have to wait for the hands on reviews for that one before I trade in the Z7II or D6

Consider the following strategy, Karen: Regardless of the price, buy the Z7 II at a fair, competitive price in effect at the time that gives you sufficient opportunity to gain full command of its capabilities in time for the next situation that you will be able to frequently use the camera, such as on a photo vacation.

The whole question of whether or not prices will be reduced for the holidays likely has to do with whether chip shortages remain. If the demand outstrips supply for whatever reason including chip shortages, holiday pricing will be minimally reduced if at all.

Last edited:

JLH

I missed a very good deal on a lightly used Z7 someone traded in on a Z7 II. I figured I would just wait for the next Z7 II deal, perhaps when the Z9 finally makes it. Likely my local shop which deals with a lot with pros and serious (well heeled) amateurs will have some low use clean Z7 II's traded in. They always get a lot of good trade-ins when the newest model comes out.

Real Name
Leif
Aren’t the Z7 II and Z9 very different beasts? The Z9 is a very rugged camera with built in grip, suitable for sports and BIF ie high frame rate with (it is assumed) no viewfinder lag. The Z7 II is not really suitable for sports and BIF due to viewfinder lag. My guess is that people will go from a D5 or D6 to a Z9, or even from Sony/Canon to a Z9.

I could be mistaken. 🙂

I thought I responded, but dont see it….my $.02 - I dont think pricing will change much until supply chain increases. Perhaps closer to the holidays there will be kit deals.

My feelings are the F mount lenses are going to keep dropping on the used market. Folks making the move are clearing out their gear. I sold my 14-24, 24-70 and 105 macro to fund my Z7…..so if you plan on funding via trade-in or sales of gear, you may want to move sooner than later.

I picked up my Z7 II yesterday and four the Nikon Dealers that I contacted in the Northwest were all the same price $3099 and that was after $150 off on the FTZ adaptor. Picked a dealer in Oregon to miss the Sales Tax which paid for the Memory Card. The Battery life not so good and I see a Grip purchase on the horizon.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I picked up my Z7 II yesterday and four the Nikon Dealers that I contacted in the Northwest were all the same price $3099 and that was after $150 off on the FTZ adaptor. Picked a dealer in Oregon to miss the Sales Tax which paid for the Memory Card. The Battery life not so good and I see a Grip purchase on the horizon.
Yes, Nikon has always controlled pricing at all its retailers. My hope is that they may offer some specials during the holidays. I've not heard of battery life as being an issue. How did you determine this was the case for you?

Yes, Nikon has always controlled pricing at all its retailers. My hope is that they may offer some specials during the holidays. I've not heard of battery life as being an issue. How did you determine this was the case for you?
Battery life is far less with mirrorless than with the D850. I carry three batteries with me with my Z7ii. It’s not a big deal since the batteries as small and light. Mirrorless cameras take a lot more energy.

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Battery life is far less with mirrorless than with the D850. I carry three batteries with me with my Z7ii. It’s not a big deal since the batteries as small and light. Mirrorless cameras take a lot more energy.

Glenn
Are you using the ones you had for your previous camera? I only had one battery for my D850 but I used the grip and batteries designed for the D5 in the D850.

Are you using the ones you had for your previous camera? I only had one battery for my D850 but I used the grip and batteries designed for the D5 in the D850.
I have EN-EL15 batteries from my D500 which work just fine in the Z6/Z7. The Z7 comes with the EN-EL15B with a CIPA rating of 330. The Z7II comes with the EN-EL15C with a CIPA rating of 420. So either the C version is a more capacity or the Z7II is more efficient in how it uses power (which I find hard to believe as it has a second processor and more hardware - second slot) or a bit of both. But all those batteries work in those bodies.

I believe (and some one can correct me if I'm wrong) but the 15C allows you to charge while in the camera body with an external power source but the earlier batteries do not.

But as Glenn says, mirrorless cameras need a lot of power relative the DSLRs.

I used the grip with my D850 along with larger EN-EL18C (I think) battery. I always carried two of those batteries. I also kept the EN-EL15 (I think) smaller battery in the D850 body.

For the Z7ii, I purchased a couple of extra EN-EL15C batteries as backups to the one in the camera body. Battery life isn't terrible--just not as fantastic as it was with the EN-EL18C and the D850. For example, I used just one battery during the prison shoot--and I was there shooting for six hours. But, it was just about out of power when I left, so I swapped it out with a new one before I left.

Glenn

I believe (and some one can correct me if I'm wrong) but the 15C allows you to charge while in the camera body with an external power source but the earlier batteries do not.
You are correct in that the 15C can be charged while it is in the camera body. Personally, I didn't find this to be very convenient. I would rather just remove the battery, place it in the charger, and charge it that way. I did buy a portable USB charger for the battery. I also have a power pack, so I can charge the battery while it is in my backpack if necessary. So far, that hasn't been necessary since I carry three batteries! But, I don't want to take a chance of running out of battery power while out shooting photos.

Glenn

I have to say that, because it's the way things appear to be going, if I was to consider switching to mirrorless myself, I would not stop at Nikon. Native lenses, without adaptors, would be my preference and, if I had to / wanted to change my Nikon lenses as well as my camera/s, I would look at everything else too. Nothing to lose. Canon would certainly be in my reckoning and so, actually, would Leica L mount. Sony might be top of the tree. I would spend a bit of time in a camera shop. In my case I suspect I might not come out with a mirrorless Nikon.

Me - I'd be happy with a D780 with IBIS and a bigger viewfinder with a proper VF light block. And I wouldn't need video.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom