Nikon Z 7II pricing....

When I'm shooting wildlife or landscapes, I don't use LV. Once a location/subject is identified, I take a quick photo and using image review check the histogram. Once I dial in exposure, I only need to change it when the lighting changes. I use exposure compensation for many adjustments.

Pretty much what I did before getting a Z. I now find that the viewfinder histogram makes life much simpler. I never get a bad exposure.

Once a location/subject is identified, I take a quick photo and using image review check the histogram.

When I used my DSLR, I did the same and never found that process to be cumbersome. Once I began using my mirrorless camera and didn't have to do that because the histogram is displayed on the rear LCD and in the viewfinder, now when I have to use my DSLR for other reasons it's a real pain for me to have to wait to take a photo to examine the histogram.

When I used my DSLR, I did the same and never found that process to be cumbersome. Once I began using my mirrorless camera and didn't have to do that because the histogram is displayed on the rear LCD and in the viewfinder, now when I have to use my DSLR for other reasons it's a real pain for me to have to wait to take a photo to examine the histogram.

On the D750 and, I assume, the D850, it is possible to get a live-view histogram on the rear LCD, but the viewfinder histogram on the Z cameras is much more convenient.

With both my D850 and D5, I take whatever number of bracketed images I have selected with 1 push of the shutter button. The cameras have a bracket setting at the top....a button on the D850 and a mode setting on the D5 AIR. The only thing I have to do is have the mode set to timer (having pre-selected in the menu the number of shots to be taken). Since I am generally taking bracketed photos when doing interior architecture, I have the camera all set up before entering the building.

Once inside the building, the only thing I need to do is decide on a composition, use live view's red overlay to verify focusing, and push the shutter once to take 3, 5, 7 or 9 bracketed exposures. Then move on to the next shot.

This is taken from the Z7 II manual, and is the same/similar functionality for the Nikon bodies I’ve used and still use.

31F75C0F-18F3-438B-BA2B-E127F7F6F01F.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And I'm looking forward to your review of this camera once you get it. I find it intriguing.

I already have the camera, although I haven’t used it a lot. For me, it does need a grip which is currently only available in Japan. I’m not sure when it or 3rd party ones will be available downunder. I’m waiting on the freebies to arrive from the current Nikon promotion which includes the remote. So far I’ve been using my mobile as a remote.

Thom Hogan's Guide to the Z6 and Z7 also explains that the photographer has to take all of the photos in a bracketed sequence as opposed to pressing the shutter release just once.

Yes, but you can set it up for a single shutter press, as Karen was suggesting:

Auto_Bracketing.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think the self timer approach would suit me if I did this often.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
This is taken from the Z7 II manual, and is the same/similar functionality for the Nikon bodies I’ve used and still use.

View attachment 1687535
Yes, but you can set it up for a single shutter press, as Karen was suggesting:

View attachment 1687548

I think the self timer approach would suit me if I did this often.
Yes, you CAN set up the D850 or D5 to shoot a series of bracketed images with one click of the shutter. I have done this for years. I used both cameras this way just 2 weeks ago when photographing the Basilica and Ohio State Capitol buildings. My D850 is at Nikon being serviced, but I have the D5 in front of me.

I set the number and increment of bracketed images I want. Then in the Custom menu, under C: Timers/AE lock, I can select C3: Self timer. There I can choose how many images I want the camera to take. I select the same number as the number of bracketed images. Then on the top left mode dial, I select Self timer. Then with one press of the shutter button, the camera will take the series of bracketed images.

Unless I change the settings, each press of the shutter will result in a series of bracketed images.

It is just SO ridiculously complicated and unintuitive that the only way pressing the shutter just once can be done is to combine one set of configurations with another set of configurations. Indeed, the way it's done is more of a workaround than a legitimate solution.

Nikon designed the system of focus shifting (Nikon's term for focus bracketing) so all of its parameters are set in one place and the shutter is released by the photographer just once. So, there is no reason they can't do that with the other types of bracketing.

Last edited:
That is just SO ridiculously complicated and unintuitive that the only way pressing the shutter just once can be done is to combine one set of configurations with another set of configurations. Nikon designed the system of focus shifting (Nikon's term for focus bracketing) so all of its parameters are set in the same place, so there is no reason they can't do that with the other types of bracketing.
I don't see how focus shift is any simpler than Karen's method. In both you are setting up some basic parameters. There is nothing automatic about focus shifting. I see them are simple and intuitive enough that I figured out how to use them successfully. Actually Karen's method gives the user more control over the camera—an exact umber of shots!

I don't see how focus shift is any simpler than Karen's method.
When configuring focus shifting, you're only configuring one set of parameters.

Actually Karen's method gives the user more control over the camera—an exact umber of shots!
Focus shifting also allows the user to control the exact number of shots.

There is nothing automatic about focus shifting.
That's like saying there is nothing about the camera that is automatic because the user has to turn it on before anything else can happen, or that Auto ISO and Auto Focus really aren't automatic because they won't happen unless the user first configures the camera to use them. Everything about focus shifting is automatic in accordance with the user's settings, which is no different than any of the other automated aspects of the camera.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
To each his own. I have found that 2 steps (setting up the bracketing and setting the timer) can be done quickly and easily. Would a Z camera make it easier. Probably. But that doesn't mean that the Nikon DSLR approach is too complicated or time consuming for most users. Heck, Glenn is the one who taught me and used it successfully for years! LOL!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
If I understand the discussion properly, the point others have made is that the Z cameras use the same method as the DSLRs.
Actually, the issue came up by someone saying that taking multiple bracketed images with one press of the shutter button couldn't be done on a Nikon DSLR...........

This is OT. I suggest we return to the subject as indicated by the thread title.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom