Nikon Z 85mm f/1.8 S

From my first shoot with the Z 7ii and the 85mm f/1.8 S earlier today:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm slowly getting used to the Z7ii. I love shooting with the 85mm f/1.8s on it:

Top-notch lighting on that one.
Looks Razor sharp with the fine detail...currently trying to replace my 50mm with the 50 mm f1.8S but it's been out of stock since Christmas. Once replaced, my old 85mm 1.8 D is next.
Looks great!
Thank you all so much!

Excellent portrait. How was this lit if you don’t mind my asking
This was a three light set up - the key light was a Godox AD600 with a 45 inch photoflex reflective umbrella at camera left, and w AD200s on each side fired through strip soft boxes.

I think it's time to sell my D850. Shot with the Z7ii and 85mm f/1.8s:

Last edited:
I just reread Thom Hogan's review of the 85/1.8S. I've never heard him quite so positive in a lens review. Even though I doubt I would use it much, I admit I'm tempted.

A quote from Thom:

One caution: you’re used to central area sharpness but fade-to-blurry corners with telephoto lenses. So much so that some of you think of that as the “look” of an 85mm (or 105mm). If so, the 85mm f/1.8 S is not your lens, and you’re likely going to make (false) claims that it looks wrong to have sharp corners. Vignetting and corner softness are indeed flattering things that keep viewer’s eyes on the face with portraits, but that’s a learned look based upon the traits of older lenses. Put another way, a head and shoulders portrait taken with the 85mm f/1.8 S is going to look a little different than the portraits you got from any 85mm lens on your DSLR. Personally, I like acuity. This lens has it in spades, no matter where you look. But I know of photographers who actually avoid acuity in portraits.

I just reread Thom Hogan's review of the 85/1.8S. I've never heard him quite so positive in a lens review. Even though I doubt I would use it much, I admit I'm tempted.

A quote from Thom:

One caution: you’re used to central area sharpness but fade-to-blurry corners with telephoto lenses. So much so that some of you think of that as the “look” of an 85mm (or 105mm). If so, the 85mm f/1.8 S is not your lens, and you’re likely going to make (false) claims that it looks wrong to have sharp corners. Vignetting and corner softness are indeed flattering things that keep viewer’s eyes on the face with portraits, but that’s a learned look based upon the traits of older lenses. Put another way, a head and shoulders portrait taken with the 85mm f/1.8 S is going to look a little different than the portraits you got from any 85mm lens on your DSLR. Personally, I like acuity. This lens has it in spades, no matter where you look. But I know of photographers who actually avoid acuity in portraits.
I probably won’t use it much either, but many of my favorite photos were taken with the 85 f1.4 that I used to own. The 85 S lens is hard to find.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom