Showcase Nikon Z 85mm f/1.8 S

You are certainly showing off the lens and your ability to capture great moments. It is a perfect length to isolate your subjects. Well done.

Another great set Terri. You are doing great with this amazing lens.

From my shoot today with Amanda:

20210706_111005__Z720280.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I'm very impressed with what I see from this lens, and I'm considering trading my Z 50mm 1.8s for the 85.

How do you owners compare the optics if you have both? I'm confused by Thom Hogan's reviews; he rates the 50/1.8S as 5-star on optics but lists it as "recommended", yet he gives the 85 only 4 stars on optics but lists it as "highly recommended".

Real Name
Andy
I suspect that the "recommended" rating he gives the 85 has to do with its relatively high price, whereas the "highly recommended" rating to the 50 also takes into account its affordability.

I never owned the 50mm f/1.8 S but I did have the 35 and 85 in Z-mount. While both are excellent, I would disagree with Thom Hogan in his claim that the S versions "blow the G versions out of the water" (his words). As such, I suspect the 85 will be offered at a discount (both via authorized retailers and on the used market) at more affordable pricing soon after the f/1.4 versions are released. In the interim, unless you are shooting video or "need to be native," the 85mm f/1.8G remains "highly sufficient" IMO.

I suspect that the "recommended" rating he gives the 85 has to do with its relatively high price, whereas the "highly recommended" rating to the 50 also takes into account its affordability.

I never owned the 50mm f/1.8 S but I did have the 35 and 85 in Z-mount. While both are excellent, I would disagree with Thom Hogan in his claim that the S versions "blow the G versions out of the water" (his words). As such, I suspect the 85 will be offered at a discount (both via authorized retailers and on the used market) at more affordable pricing soon after the f/1.4 versions are released. In the interim, unless you are shooting video or "need to be native," the 85mm f/1.8G remains "highly sufficient" IMO.

Thanks for responding, Andy.

Thom also gives a "Value" rating, and both lenses rate 3 stars in that category.

One of the reasons I'm considering trading is that I now have the Z 50mm MC micro, and I don't think I will find much use for the 50/1.8 any more.

I've never had a fast 85mm lens to compare with.

I'm very impressed with what I see from this lens, and I'm considering trading my Z 50mm 1.8s for the 85.

How do you owners compare the optics if you have both? I'm confused by Thom Hogan's reviews; he rates the 50/1.8S as 5-star on optics but lists it as "recommended", yet he gives the 85 only 4 stars on optics but lists it as "highly recommended".

I sent Thom a note about this, and got the response:

"As I note on that page, stars are not a linear rating. They are simply a crude rendering of meets expectations, or exceeds. "

I had seen that statement, but he didn't explain what he meant by it. Bottom line: his star ratings are meaningless.

Hi, Jim. I just returned from 10 days at Redfish Lake. We only had moments of Internet Data on our phones. I just barely saw this thread. Since I have both the 50 f1.8 S and the 85 f1.8 S and the Z6 and Z50 I can do any sort of comparison shooting you would like me to do once I get cleaned up from the vacation. I have never really tried any sort of comparison between the two. I have wondered if I would be better served to sell my 50 1.8S and pick up a 35 f1.8 S to go with the 85 f1.8. But I love the IQ from the 50 so much that I haven't made the jump!!

Hi, Jim. I just returned from 10 days at Redfish Lake. We only had moments of Internet Data on our phones. I just barely saw this thread. Since I have both the 50 f1.8 S and the 85 f1.8 S and the Z6 and Z50 I can do any sort of comparison shooting you would like me to do once I get cleaned up from the vacation. I have never really tried any sort of comparison between the two. I have wondered if I would be better served to sell my 50 1.8S and pick up a 35 f1.8 S to go with the 85 f1.8. But I love the IQ from the 50 so much that I haven't made the jump!!

Thanks for responding, Terri. Hope you had a great week at the lake and will grace us with some photos.

I'm not going to ask for any specific technical comparisons as I know how hard those are to do. But just on an anecdotal level, do you find yourself using the 50 more than the 85, or vice-versa? have you noticed any difference in IQ between the two?

Real Name
John
I've been impressed by both 50 and 85.
I feel like both are at a very high level of performance and utility.

I think the 50 does better with tests and charts, but I don't think I would ever notice.

Thanks for responding, Terri. Hope you had a great week at the lake and will grace us with some photos.

I'm not going to ask for any specific technical comparisons as I know how hard those are to do. But just on an anecdotal level, do you find yourself using the 50 more than the 85, or vice-versa? have you noticed any difference in IQ between the two?
I think I am using both equally. I haven't noticed any IQ difference. Both are very sharp. Looking at my photos from the past 10 days, I took 50 with the 85 f1.8S and 56 with the 50 f1.8S lens. I actually used my zoom lenses much more than my primes. Photographing activities with 17 kids takes flexibility! The photos with the two primes are my favorites, though. I guess, for me, it comes down to the focal length. I love the 85mm focal length for close ups of people.

My granddaughter at the beach. She just looked cute sitting there and I asked her if she would like to smile for the camera. She cooperated!! No special setup or posing. But, I really like this photo of her. I think that since you have a 50 mm macro lens you would probably really enjoy the 85 mm prime for other uses. You can't get very close with it for flower photos.

_DSC1243-Edit.jpg

I think I am using both equally. I haven't noticed any IQ difference. Both are very sharp. Looking at my photos from the past 10 days, I took 50 with the 85 f1.8S and 56 with the 50 f1.8S lens. I actually used my zoom lenses much more than my primes. Photographing activities with 17 kids takes flexibility! The photos with the two primes are my favorites, though. I guess, for me, it comes down to the focal length. I love the 85mm focal length for close ups of people.

My granddaughter at the beach. She just looked cute sitting there and I asked her if she would like to smile for the camera. She cooperated!! No special setup or posing. But, I really like this photo of her. I think that since you have a 50 mm macro lens you would probably really enjoy the 85 mm prime for other uses. You can't get very close with it for flower photos.

Many thanks, Terri. That's an excellent photo. I probably wouldn't use the 85 that much, but I probably won't use the 50/1.8 at all since I have the 50 micro.

Through the years, I have had the last 5 85mm Nikkors (1.8D, 1.4D, 1.8g, 1.4g, and now the 1.8s) I can say that the 1.8s does indeed blow all of the others away. The closest apples to apples comparison I can make would be to compare my shots with the 1.8g on the D850, and the 1.8s on the Z7ii - I do notice an increase in sharpness and a more pleasingly overall Image with the 1.8s.

YMMV, of course.

I've been insanely busy with work, but I had to share this from a shoot I did last night:

20210919_211603__Z720352_smoke.jpg

Real Name
Andy
I used this lens to take photos of family members while we were waiting for the fireworks to start. I really enjoy this focal length.
Sometimes, when Mother Nature cooperates, she really cooperates....
I've been insanely busy with work, but I had to share this from a shoot I did last night:
These last several images posted by the two of you in this thread are just wonderful. While I agree the lens is good (I owned a copy for awhile), I think the photographers get the lion's share of the credit for the great photographs posted in the last few months.

Latest threads

Top Bottom