Showcase Nikon Z 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR DX

JLH

I have not yet used my new 50-250 Z lens as much as some of you. I did do some tests of my nice little Canon 70-300 on the Z50 (Fringer adapter) to compare it with my Nikon DX 70-300 and was impressed with the Canon version. But then I shot some of the same subjects with the new Z 50-250 and saw the light! While all three lenses did quite well the Z lens beat them all on the subjects I was working with that day. More testing with different subjects under different conditions are needed of course but so far I have to give this 50-250 high marks just as others have.

I have not yet used my new 50-250 Z lens as much as some of you. I did do some tests of my nice little Canon 70-300 on the Z50 (Fringer adapter) to compare it with my Nikon DX 70-300 and was impressed with the Canon version. But then I shot some of the same subjects with the new Z 50-250 and saw the light! While all three lenses did quite well the Z lens beat them all on the subjects I was working with that day. More testing with different subjects under different conditions are needed of course but so far I have to give this 50-250 high marks just as others have.
I think this lens is unbeatable for that price.
Plastic fantastic lens!

Real Name
John
Long Beach CA.
WTCLB.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Can a lens like this one be used on a FF Z camera, but I'm sure in some kind of "crop" mode? Thinking especially the Z5?

JLH

I have used my 50-250 from my Z50 with my new Z5 and it works great. I am sure that if I tried to blow it up to a wall sized picture i would notice. I have two bird photos in my bedroom. Both are like 14" wide. One shot with a 24 MP D7100 the other shot with my old Panasonic FZ50 10 MP superzoom camera. Standing a few feet away looking at them you can not tell any difference in quality between them. Both are sharp and clear. I have no issues with a good photo taken at 10 MP for a normal sized print. Now, if you want a wall sized or so, that might be a different matter.

Real Name
John
The 50-250 on the Z50 is nice for window light portraits. It's working distance allows Po to ponder without distraction.
po@50-250.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm considering this lens for use as a compact occasional use lens for my Z7ii as I do not want to use an FTZ adapter and do not use telephotos enough to justify purchasing either the 70-200 F2.8 or even the 24-200 for that matter. The price of the 50-250 is half the price of that lens.
While I've been impressed by what I've seen from samples from this lens, what scares me is the fact that it is not weather nor dust sealed. It seems that a push pull zoom is asking for dust to be drawn into the camera.
So my question, being for those who own and have shot enough with this lens is just how prone to getting dust onto the sensor is this lens? Is it a valid concern or not?
Thanks in advance.

I'm considering this lens for use as a compact occasional use lens for my Z7ii as I do not want to use an FTZ adapter and do not use telephotos enough to justify purchasing either the 70-200 F2.8 or even the 24-200 for that matter. The price of the 50-250 is half the price of that lens.
While I've been impressed by what I've seen from samples from this lens, what scares me is the fact that it is not weather nor dust sealed. It seems that a push pull zoom is asking for dust to be drawn into the camera.
So my question, being for those who own and have shot enough with this lens is just how prone to getting dust onto the sensor is this lens? Is it a valid concern or not?
Thanks in advance.
I haven't noticed increased dust using the lens. I have only used it on my Z50 and not my Z6 because of the DX crop factor. But with all your megapixels perhaps that isn't a concern to you.

Real Name
Andrew
My personal experience is that weather sealing tends to be overrated. Unless you plan on shooting ina sandstorm, torrential rain or actively getting dust/dirt thrown on you, even a standard zoom will be just fine.

Rain-Sleeves can also be purchased cheaply for that added piece of kind when needed.

if your use is occasionally, then I would take the weather sealing issue off the table.

just my personal opinion though.

mid weather sealing is something that is a non-negotiable, then I highly recommend reconsidering the FTZ option and looking at the Nikon 70-300/4.4-5.6E AF-P. It has excellent IQ and the weather sealing.

I haven't noticed increased dust using the lens. I have only used it on my Z50 and not my Z6 because of the DX crop factor. But with all your megapixels perhaps that isn't a concern to you.
That's right. The Z7 will still produce 20mp images so the DX crop doesn't bother me. Perhaps if I were to get more use out of a lens like this I might prefer a full frame lens but I'm not really a telephoto user and it would only be an occasional use lens.
I did shoot with a Z50 and the smaller kit zoom and I did have a couple of instances where dust got onto the sensor using that lens, so this is what got me wondering about using these. But the price is so attractive and the images that I've seen from the 50-250 are so good that it's really tempting.

The 50-250 is not a push-pull zoom. It's a normal twist-to-zoom lens, though I don't think that makes it any less prone to dust ingression.
Yes you're right. It's not a push pull, but you're also righ about this design also being prone to dust ingression.

My personal experience is that weather sealing tends to be overrated. Unless you plan on shooting ina sandstorm, torrential rain or actively getting dust/dirt thrown on you, even a standard zoom will be just fine.

Rain-Sleeves can also be purchased cheaply for that added piece of kind when needed.

if your use is occasionally, then I would take the weather sealing issue off the table.

just my personal opinion though.

mid weather sealing is something that is a non-negotiable, then I highly recommend reconsidering the FTZ option and looking at the Nikon 70-300/4.4-5.6E AF-P. It has excellent IQ and the weather sealing.
Thanks. What you say about weather sealing being overrated makes sense. It wasn't too long ago that we all used lenses that weren't weather sealed at all.
I did used to own the 70-300 AF-P ((great lens) with an FTZ but I just never wanted to use it because it was just too big for me with a Z7 body. The 50-250 is a perfect size. The 24-200 is also but I really just don't want to spend even that much right now for something that I will get only occasional use out of.

Latest threads

Top Bottom