Nikon Z fc - Image & Discussion Thread

The camera has been out for nearly 2 weeks, I'm surprised there hasn't been a few posts about it by now.

I've not used mine a lot, but from the small play I've had, its a fun camera to use.

For handheld use, I would prefer to use it with a grip. Unfortunately the Nikon one is currently only available in Japan, and there are no 3rd party ones I can find. They should start turning up soon.

Here are a couple of snaps with the Z fc and 105mm macro lens. There is also a phone pic.

#1 Spring is not too far away
51369202119_ea3fa5f39f_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Phone pic of the camera and lens focused on a Donkey Orchid. You can see these orchids are quite small
51368464506_d6b03608f7_b.jpg

#3 This is the result of the image taken above. Donkey Orchid (Diuris orientis)
51369201864_d7fced65a2_h.jpg

I'm planning to use the Z fc this weekend for birding to see how it goes.

Real Name
Andrew
Still cannot get them here.

The local camera store had me on the pre-order list for the 28mm kit, they had many pre-orders and they got one camera in with the 16-50mm.

That’s a shame. Resellers downunder showed them as being in stock the day after release. I’ve seen a few posts from other local users on social media sites using the fc with the kit lenses including the 28mm. However, the 28mm is currently not available to purchase outside of the kit. There is obviously a shortage of the lens as you have previously commented.

One observation is the battery appears to take a long time to charge using the supplied charger. I purchased a second battery with the camera and have now ordered a 3rd party dual charger. Will see if that improves charging times.
I needed to update the FTZ firmware to work with the Z fc. Have tested the FTZ with my birding lens and it appears to work as expected. I will need to wait for the weekend to see how the body goes for birding.

It looks as though the Z fc is popular downunder. Most resellers have now sold out of kits, and bodies. It appears the 28mm lens will be available downunder for sale late September.

How does it handle? How do you like the control layout?

Have you noticed any conflicts between the manual controls and the menu settings?

With that 105 lens the combo looks front-heavy on the tripod.

I feel that the new 105 might look the same on my Z6. There is something re-assuring about using the F Mount version on the Z6 with the FTZ because I use the tripod mount of the FTZ instead of the camera. I think that I will need to compare the weight of the two versions before jumping in - it is tempting, though.

DG

Real Name
Leif
I feel that the new 105 might look the same on my Z6. There is something re-assuring about using the F Mount version on the Z6 with the FTZ because I use the tripod mount of the FTZ instead of the camera. I think that I will need to compare the weight of the two versions before jumping in - it is tempting, though.

DG
If you don’t need autofocus, consider the 105mm F2.6 AFD micro lens. I have one and it is excellent. They are going for a song, used of course. Some reviewers suggest it is a tad sharper than the later AFS lens. One reason to go for the Z version is almost zero CA in out of focus highlights, which is an issue with all of the F mount AF 60mm and 105mm micro lenses. The AFS and Z lenses are both internal focussing, so should be more fungus resistant in humid climates.

How does it handle? How do you like the control layout?

Have you noticed any conflicts between the manual controls and the menu settings?

Looks like you're getting good use from the flip-out LCD, which is one of the features I find most attractive.

Although I’ve had the camera a little while, I’ve not spent a lot of time with it.

Using Fujifilm cameras, the controls are natural to me. Nikon, in their wisdom have decided to dumb the controls down a bit. There is no Auto setting on any of them. From what I can tell they are basically used in manual mode. Aperture priority is the only mode I’ve tried so far. In aperture priority mode, it appears the camera might be using the settings in the menu.

My biggest disappointment, there is no remote control available with ½ press for focusing, and apparently is not something which will be supported. I’m waiting for the free Nikon ML-L7 remote and Smallrig tripod to get here, although it could be still a few weeks away. My promotion claim has been submitted and approved.

I use a Peak Design Clutch when handholding this camera, I also use the PD Clutch with a few other bodies when taking photos handheld. I use a shoulder strap when I’m out birding. I’m looking forward to getting a grip to make it a bit more comfortable when taking photos handheld, and carrying the camera.

One quirk, which I have will all the Z bodies I have, is when I take photos with the body inverted, the images remain inverted. Both in camera review (not LV), and computer import. This is not something I have experienced with Olympus of Fuji. There could be a setting in the camera I’m missing, or Nikon don’t include info in the EXIF so the images are auto corrected. Not sure.

I don’t find the 105mm lens too much of an issue. I feel the lens hood being so long makes the lens appear longer than it is. Sure, the camera is not balanced when using the 105mm, but it is better balanced than it is with the 500mm pf and FTZ attached to it. I also have to f mount 105mm.

The LCD screen is great and is something I use regularly on other cameras.

Initial impressions, I like the camera, its fun to use, but the proof for me is when I try it for birding, as this is primarily why I purchased it.

JLH

Stopped by Murphy's, my local shop, today and there it was! I think its a nice looking camera. Had I not just recently got a Z50 I would have bought it on the spot. I like the look of it. I love the controls that remind me of my film cameras I used so much in the late 60's and 70's. I like the way the tilt screen works. I love the look and feel of it with all those numbers and settings. I have loved photography all my life and took so many photos in my youth as I traveled around the world. This camera brought back a lot of wonderful memories. But then, that is what its suppose to do now....isn't it?

Last edited:
I got the mint green one. Initial impressions.. it's beautiful! but there's a reason it's $950 (as opposed to a $7K Leica M) Function wise, it's great. It feels light but sturdy. Despite a lot of plastic, nothing creaks. The color is more of a silver with shiny sparkles. Think Walmart silver VCR (Zfc) vs Macbook Pro texture (Leica). I thought I would love the swiveling LCD but I hated it. I feel like I'd somehow accidentally rip it out due to my clumsiness. Some functions were missing, like you cannot configure the dials to zoom the photo in/out on preview. The focus type selector switch is missing, you will now have to use the "i" button to access it. The rubber "leather" feels wonky, like it would come off if pressed tightly or under extreme heat, if that makes sense.

What's good: I love it for using manual focus lenses, the focus peaking is great. The AF feels much snappier than my previous DSLRs (D750, D4), the VF is great and has fast refresh, almost like an OVF. I'm surprised how good the 16-50 DX kit lens is. Nikon has come a long way since the 16-85 DX days.

I am still undecided if I will keep this camera long term. If I wanted a retro theme camera, I'd rather go with the Df personally. It's also FX.

Attachments

• IMG_4441.JPG
    IMG_4441.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_4446.JPG
    IMG_4446.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_4450.JPG
    IMG_4450.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 286
I thought I would love the swiveling LCD but I hated it. I feel like I'd somehow accidentally rip it out due to my clumsiness.

Thanks for the review.

Are you familiar with the D5500? If so, do you think the swivel LCD of the Zf is less sturdy than that of the D5500? I've used a D5500 quite a bit and have really liked the LCD and never had a problem with it. I assumed the one on the Zf would be similar.

Real Name
Leif
I‘m hoping they bring out an FX body with a fully articulating screen, but I don’t see any releases for a year. The issue for me with the Z fc is a lack of lens support.

Here in the UK, the Z fc is selling well, but you can still get any version from stock apart from the camera plus 28mm lens kit. Oddly enough all UK dealers are giving away substantial freebies with the camera, such as a free battery, memory card and carry bag.

Real Name
Andrew
I just got an email from the local camera store. They were in the phone with Nikon this morning. Appears Nikon is not just backed up on the Zfc, but on a lot of items.
They are trying to clear the pre orders as quickly as possible as they see the holiday season looming closer and closer and know they need to gear up for that.

oddly, the Z50 is now getting harder to get. The Zfc are coming and it looks like it might be early September for mine. Hey, it’s a nice to have and not a necessity, so I just keep telling myself to be patient.

I just got an email from the local camera store. They were in the phone with Nikon this morning. Appears Nikon is not just backed up on the Zfc, but on a lot of items.
They are trying to clear the pre orders as quickly as possible as they see the holiday season looming closer and closer and know they need to gear up for that.

oddly, the Z50 is now getting harder to get. The Zfc are coming and it looks like it might be early September for mine. Hey, it’s a nice to have and not a necessity, so I just keep telling myself to be patient.
Here's my local camera store (shameless plug) :shame: - Not sure if they have what you're looking for though...
->. https://www.camerax.com

A couple of quick snaps from this morning using the Z fc with 500mm pf lens

Although it would be nice to get a grip for the Z fc, I found this morning it wasn't too much of an issue holding the body and lens without a grip. Focusing was snappy, not sure if its the same as the D500 snappy, will test it out some more tomorrow.

#1 Spotted Pardalote
51375532755_b09337ba75_h.jpg

#2 Grey Fantail
51374526226_c418c16782_h.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom