Nikon Z fc - Image & Discussion Thread

Real Name
Andrew
Got out today to use the Z DX 50-250 lens. Gotta say it is rather impressive for the price.

10-11-2021_reyn_test_Zfc_DSC_1079.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10-11-2021_reyn_test_Zfc_DSC_1082.jpg

These next three were taken through glass and in relatively poor lighting.

10-11-2021_reyn_test_Zfc_DSC_1085.jpg

4 - the pattern to the image right is a reflection from a piece of fabric behind me.
10-11-2021_reyn_test_Zfc_DSC_1086.jpg

10-11-2021_reyn_test_Zfc_DSC_1087.jpg

10-11-2021_reyn_test_Zfc_DSC_1098.jpg

10-11-2021_reyn_test_Zfc_DSC_1100.jpg

10-11-2021_reyn_test_Zfc_DSC_1106.jpg

10-11-2021_reyn_test_Zfc_DSC_1107.jpg

Either Nikon Australia have excess stock, or camera sales are slow. There are sales across the range of both Z and DSLR bodies, lenses and kits. This one caught my eye. Nikon Z7 II 25%off plus $300 cashback. Although tempting, I don't require any more cameras at the moment :)

I used my second Z fc body yesterday for the first time. A few of the images are in this post. I set the camera up before I went out, however, I didn't compare the settings to the other body. It wasn't until I started taking photos when I realised, several of the settings weren't setup to how I like to use the camera now. I'd forgotten the number of tweaks I'd done while using the other body. I will sit them side by side this weekend and ensure both are setup the same.

You've posted a lot of fine images made with your Zfc. However, the IQ from that camera is no better than that from a Z50 or D500, so maybe future posts should limited to the user experience.

My Zfc is due to arrive Thursday, but I will be out of town until Monday evening. My neighbor will collect it for me, so I'll have something to look forward to when I return.

However, the IQ from that camera is no better than that from a Z50 or D500

That is one opinion I don’t share concerning the image quality between D500 and Z fc. I have Nikon and Canon users, particularly in Australia, New Zealand, and the UK asking me what gear I’m using, as they have observed a difference. Apparently, those differences between the D500 and Z fc are not seen here. I guess it comes down to how we each determine image quality.

No one who has been following this thread has asked me why I’m replacing the D500 with the Z fc, a body which is less than half the cost of the D500. Which tells me they don't really care, which is why I didn't include the reasons in my post. The Z fc has four features which the D500 doesn’t have, likewise the Z fc falls short in a couple of areas compared to the D500, one of which is not limited to the Z fc. Sure, it took me a while to tweak the Z fc to give the results I like, but now I’m getting more keepers on a consistent basis.

However, the IQ from that camera is no better than that from a Z50 or D500, so maybe future posts should limited to the user experience.

I have changed the title of this thread so anyone wanting to comment can feel free to add images, as well as user experience, plus general comments, and questions regarding the Z fc.

No one who has been following this thread has asked me why I’m replacing the D500 with the Z fc, a body which is less than half the cost of the D500. Which tells me they don't really care, which is why I didn't include the reasons in my post. The Z fc has four features which the D500 doesn’t have, likewise the Z fc falls short in a couple of areas compared to the D500, one of which is not limited to the Z fc. Sure, it took me a while to tweak the Z fc to give the results I like, but now I’m getting more keepers on a consistent basis.

I, for one, would certainly be interested in such a discussion. I'm still holding on to a D7200 but have been asking myself if I should let it go once I get the Zfc.

Real Name
Dan
Richard, I've wondered how the 300mm pf works on your Z fc. I would really love to have that lens in a Z mount, but who knows how long Nikon will take to do that. I may cave in and get it with the adapter.

Real Name
Andrew
Richard, I've wondered how the 300mm pf works on your Z fc. I would really love to have that lens in a Z mount, but who knows how long Nikon will take to do that. I may cave in and get it with the adapter.
It works great. I shot some of my dog at the park with it. not really had a lot of other need here lately to use it.

nice to have the option to add on the TC of you want the extra reach. It handles ok without a grip on the Z fc, but I would recommend getting one for that extra bit of handling of shooting it in portrait orientation.

Are you keeping your Z50? This should be a fun camera for you.

I ordered this Zfc for two features that I always wished the Z50 had: flip-out, articulating LCD and focus-shift shooting like the Z6.

I'll probably keep my Z50. I had a little accident with it and put a small crack in the LCD. I don't notice it when I use it, but the camera won't be worth much for resale.

I ordered this Zfc for two features that I always wished the Z50 had: flip-out, articulating LCD and focus-shift shooting like the Z6.

I'll probably keep my Z50. I had a little accident with it and put a small crack in the LCD. I don't notice it when I use it, but the camera won't be worth much for resale.
Those will be great features for you. I don't know why Nikon doesn't put the articulating LCD on all their cameras. I loved it on the D5600.

Real Name
Leif
Those will be great features for you. I don't know why Nikon doesn't put the articulating LCD on all their cameras. I loved it on the D5600.
People sometimes say they hate the fully articulating screens, and they get in the way of an L bracket. Well Fuji have for ages had one that doesn’t obstruct an L bracket. And the Z9 has one too. It gets worse because the Z 6/7 screens don’t have as much range of motion as the D500 one.

I don’t understand why Nikon don’t throw in pixel shift, but perhaps firmware memory is tight.

Real Name
Andrew
Pixel shifting technology is good in theory and a lot of people say they want it, but I found in practice that outside of experimenting with it and practicing how to use it I’ve never used it again on any of my Olympus cameras that have it. It could very well be that Nikon realizes this and isn’t expending R&D there to make it happen and their cameras, or I could just be that they don’t think the Nikon shooter is really asking for that.

The Sony has pixel shifting and I'll admit I've never bothered even trying it, as apparently it can be finicky and conditions must be just right....nothing moving! I'd much rather than Sony had gone with focus stacking in its cameras instead, as that is something that I might actually try out if it were available.

Last edited:
I occasionally tried pixel-shift mode on the Olympus E-m1 II. It worked well enough, but as others have noted, with caveats. Anything moving (water, leaves, birds) and you were as likely to be spending time fixing in post as not. It really did help color fidelity and noise to some extent but I was often far better off zooming a bit and taking a 3 shot hand-held pano which was quicker and easier.

My new Zfc was awaiting me when I returned from a long weekend away this evening. It came with two batteries...one in the box and one in the camera. Is that normal?

Major concern: is it possible to set single-point AF? I don't see that in the menu.

My new Zfc was awaiting me when I returned from a long weekend away this evening. It came with two batteries...one in the box and one in the camera. Is that normal?

Major concern: is it possible to set single-point AF? I don't see that in the menu.
I don't think that's normal. Are you sure the box was unopened? I'd check the shutter count at least

Latest threads

Top Bottom