Nikon Z fc - Image & Discussion Thread

I don't think that's normal. Are you sure the box was unopened? I'd check the shutter count at least

It's clear that the box had been opened and repacked. The first thing I did was check the shutter count, and it is only six. I had already taken a couple of shots myself.

The battery in the camera has a sticker from the camera shop on it, so I'm sure including it was an error on their part. I sent them a note offering to return this spare battery if they want to pay shipping.

I can't seem to program this camera to use the AE-L/AF-L button to activate autofocus. I've had no trouble doing that on all of my other Nikon cameras, but the menu on this one is confusing.

Any tips?

Real Name
Andrew
It's clear that the box had been opened and repacked. The first thing I did was check the shutter count, and it is only six. I had already taken a couple of shots myself.

The battery in the camera has a sticker from the camera shop on it, so I'm sure including it was an error on their part. I sent them a note offering to return this spare battery if they want to pay shipping.

What?!? An honest soul! They still do exist!! :)

Real Name
Mike
Got out today to use the Z DX 50-250 lens. Gotta say it is rather impressive for the price.

View attachment 1690922

View attachment 1690923

These next three were taken through glass and in relatively poor lighting.

View attachment 1690924

4 - the pattern to the image right is a reflection from a piece of fabric behind me.
View attachment 1690925

View attachment 1690926

View attachment 1690927

View attachment 1690928

View attachment 1690929

View attachment 1690930
Do you have samples how this lens does in low lighting situations?

Real Name
Andrew
Do you have samples how this lens does in low lighting situations?

The lowest I have are ISO 1400 and 1800 shots. Been mostly using it in the good weather we have been blessed with lately. I’ll see if I can figure out something to shoot in less ideal light.

I see that the Zfc doesn't have the U1, U2, settings like the Z6 and Z50. Has anyone discovered a way to mimic that?

I find those quite useful on my Z6 and somewhat useful on the Z50.

For example, when I put the camera on a tripod I want it to be in "M" mode, iso100, VR off, and auto-iso off. I have this programmed to "U2". In addition, I have U1 programmed as a general-purpose "M" mode with same settings as U2 except with VR on.

It would be really useful to have at least one set of recallable settings for tripod mounting instead of having to remember all of those things.

Last edited:
I would be really useful to have at least one set of recallable settings for tripod mounting

If the camera stores settings on a memory card, you could have multiple files, each with its own combination of settings. Doing so would of course require unique file names that are then changed when needed to the name recognized by the camera when uploading the file. Perhaps a cumbersome workaround at best, but one that would work. Perhaps not practical when in the field.

If the camera stores settings on a memory card, you could have multiple files, each with its own combination of settings. Doing so would of course require unique file names that are then changed when needed to the name recognized by the camera when uploading the file. Perhaps a cumbersome workaround at best, but one that would work. Perhaps not practical when in the field.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give this some thought.

Real Name
Andrew
@mjcmt
I went out and shot some more with the 50-250 today. I did get some low light.
There was some struggle there. Most of it was my fault, as I was not ready for the deer that crossed my path while hiking. S-AF and low light and I failed. I did get a chance to nab a few shots, through some brush of the deer and with some static subjects.

I processed my images with with Topaz, so mot SOOC JPG, but processed.

1 - the brush was getting caught with the AF, so needed to help it with overriding with focus ring.
10-20-2021_blacklick_Zfc_DSC_1182-denoise-severe-noise.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10-20-2021_blacklick_Zfc_DSC_1203-denoise-standard.jpg

Ring-billed Gull with fish ! --- 50-250z lens with z50.
Gull1.jpg

Gull2.jpg
Gull3.jpg
Gull4.jpg

This lens is awesome for the price.

After moderate use of my new Zfc since I got it Tuesday, I would say it meets my expectations pretty well. The only features I bought it for are the flip-out and articulating LCD monitor, and focus-shift shooting. The LCD functions just as well as that on my D5500, which I liked, and focus-shift shooting works exactly like my Z6.

I haven't found much use for the additional functionality, but may eventually. I find the shape of the camera to take some getting used to. It feels awkward compared to the Z50.

Overall, I think I would prefer a Z50 with the two features I mentioned above. Maybe a Z50 II?

Latest threads

Top Bottom