Nikon Z owners how bad is your striping problem?

Real Name
Andrew
I've had a Z6 since the day of release. No issues with banding. It is supposed to be an issue with the Olympus EM1 series as well.
I believe that is can happen, but as others have already pointed out - you really need to push the exposure into places that no normal photographer ever would and even then it never seems as bad as it is made out to be.

I have seen some banding in Z6 photos when pulling up strong shadows several stops. Not really prominent but still there at pixel peeping levels. Z 7ii, seems to be all but gone. Now why can't Nikon provide a firmware update for the Z 6/7 cameras if they use the same sensor?

I think it is important to differentiate between PDAF issues (non issues?) , Striping vs Banding.
My current understanding:
Striping is the problem with on sensor PDAF for most mirrorless camera manufacturers. It is a series of horizontal lines (usually light in colour?) running parallel to each other just 1 pixel wide along the width of the sensor. It is caused by flare and can be particularly noticeable shooting against the light or when a strong light source is within frame or when pushing grossly underexposed images.

Banding on the other hand is the result (or can be the result) of manufacturers trying to cure the striping by firmware updates which introduces its own potentially worse issues of a darkened band more than a single pixel wide. So sometimes the cure can be worse than the disease.

It is an easier task to cure striping if it occurs either by post work in PS or a couple of clicks in a raw editor with the necessary tools e.g. RawTherapee which has a PDAF tool which seems to work very well, others have also produced ‘cures’ including Open Source code.

TBH, my first thought when Nikon was mentioned was why is the Cafe not up in arms about these issues as they were with the early focus issues with the D800 and the oil spitting issues with the D600. I had not seen anything like this mentioned here, so I either totally missed it, or it was such a rare occurrence to be a non issue. Hence me asking for evidence where possible and opinion from those that actually had real experience with mirrorless about any problem

It was discussed in this thread back in 2018, and this one in 2019. I think there were some others, too.
Thanks Jim, I suspect that 2018 and 2019 I was not really paying attention to mirrorless or the Z series and missed these - should have searched a little harder as well!

For the first link to a thread I am getting server not found and copying the address gets me this for some reason "http://1,524,218.06/" whereas copy link location gets me the correct result "https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/z6-banding.314714/#post-4001595"

I will have another search and see what I come up with but it looks obvious to me that RT PDAF correction button works for PDAF striping (a one touch solution!) and from what was mentioned RT able to deal with the 'cure' implemented by Nikon and others using the Line filter.

I've had the Z7 since it came out in October 2018, never seen banding in the 40,000 images I have taken. I now have the Z7II and again I have not seen any with it either, although people have done tests and say that Nikon has addressed the issue.

However, they tell me this tiger was completely orange but in the photo it appears to have some striping! 😀

Z7II + 70-200 f2.8S + 1.4x TC
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Since the claim includes µ43 in "mirrorless cameras", I'll state for the record that I've taken dozens of shots some days, and I haven't seen any banding with them since about 2010 (G1 and GH1). And no doubt I can make it happen with my mirrory D610, if I really wanted to see such things.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom