Nikon Z Pics Thread

I posted this elsewhere in the Café, but thought folks here would appreciate them, since it was your experiences, silent exaltation to buy (!) and your skill that pushed me in to Z territory!
I finally got through the users manual and Thom Hogan's guide for my Z6 was testing it with a F-mount lens when these little guys wandered by. Heavily cropped, but I'm happy (hand held, spot metering, dynamic area focusing, processed in DXO-PL2). Cloudy/overcast day.

View attachment 1642239

View attachment 1642240

View attachment 1642241

View attachment 1642242
Wonderful detail, Nick. 70-200/4?

So, what's the general consensus on performance: better, different or too early to tell?
I love the size, weight, the viewfinder, VR and the shutter. Makes for very easy handling. Just got my L-plate (SmallRig) and will work on the tripod next, and the 200-500. The "kit" 24070 f/4 is very easy to use and is a level or 2 above my beloved F-mount 24-120 f4.0. It will take some getting used to to fully appreciate all it offers. This is a nible, sporty little AWD wagon while the D850 is a full-sized 4WD pick-up truck. They have their strengths, weakness and similarities. In general, I'm far more excited about the Z6 than I expected to be.

I love the size, weight, the viewfinder, VR and the shutter. Makes for very easy handling. Just got my L-plate (SmallRig) and will work on the tripod next, and the 200-500. The "kit" 24070 f/4 is very easy to use and is a level or 2 above my beloved F-mount 24-120 f4.0. It will take some getting used to to fully appreciate all it offers. This is a nible, sporty little AWD wagon while the D850 is a full-sized 4WD pick-up truck. They have their strengths, weakness and similarities. In general, I'm far more excited about the Z6 than I expected to be.
I'm so happy you are having fun with it. If I wanted to describe my experience with the Z6, I would describe it as fun to use.

I actually saw a Z-camera "in the flesh", so to speak, for the first time today. I had to be in Roanoke for a morning checkup and used the opportunity to drop by the only camera store within a couple of hundred miles. They had one Z7 with a 35/1.8 S lens attached.

My knowledge of the camera until today consisted of what I have read on the Cafe and other forums. Trying to get a feel for what it is really like is hard to do without actually seeing one.

My impression is that it is bigger and heavier than I expected, especially with the 35/1.8 attached. I was hoping for something somewhat smaller and lighter. The viewfinder is certainly better than any mirrorless camera I've investigated, but is still not as good as an optical VF.

The experience has dampened my enthusiasm for acquiring one. I think I'll wait and see what Nikon announces in the Fall.

Last edited:
I actually saw a Z-camera "in the flesh", so to speak, for the first time today. I had to be in Roanoke for a morning checkup and used the opportunity to drop by the only camera store within a couple of hundred miles. They had one Z7 with a 35/1.8 S lens attached.

My knowledge of the camera until today consisted of what I have read on the Cafe and other forums. Trying to get a feel for what it is really like is hard to do without actually seeing one.

My impression is that it is bigger and heavier than I expected, especially with the 35/1.8 attached. I was hoping for something somewhat smaller and lighter. The viewfinder is certainly better than any mirrorless camera I've investigated, but is still not as good as an optical VF.

The experience has dampened my enthusiasm for acquiring one. I think I'll wait and see what Nikon announces in the Fall.
That’s good that you got to handle one, to see if it is for you or not! It is certainly heavier than the D5600. But, it is much smaller than my D610. Is it heavier than your D7200?

Being an active D850 user I find the Z6 just right; any smaller would be painful to hold and use. Was the viewfinder set to show exposure settings, white balance and so on? If not it can look weird. Also there settings to get rid of most of the icons around the edges and to add various overlays, such as a luminance histogram.
Not that I'm pushing you to join the club! No, not me.

Being an active D850 user I find the Z6 just right; any smaller would be painful to hold and use. Was the viewfinder set to show exposure settings, white balance and so on? If not it can look weird. Also there settings to get rid of most of the icons around the edges and to add various overlays, such as a luminance histogram.
Not that I'm pushing you to join the club! No, not me.
I wouldn’t push anyone either. I have a hard enough time making up my own mind. Why would I want to make decisions for someone else? Any modern camera will take great photos. Jim has talent so gear is secondary.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom