Nikon Z Pics Thread

WOW what a difference
Any how to tips ?

Hey Randy,

It was ridiculously simple.

Fact: I suck with Photoshop. For some reason, I've always had some sort of phobia of it & seem to "lock up" whenever I attempt to use it.

I have it because it's part of my Abobe CC subscription and I use LR as my main tool.

I saw an article similar to the PetaPixel link Mike posted above & for some unexplainable reason I decided to give it a whirl - and I'm glad I did. If for no other reason, it was a milestone in my relationship with PS. Lol!

FWIW, my process with most of my images (currently) is to perform basic exposure, highlight, shadow, black, & white adjustments & crop in LR. Then, I'll use the "edit in" feature to jump over to Topaz Denoise AI & tweak as necessary, then save and when back in LR, I'll set temp & tint, then recheck basic exposure, highlight, shadow, black, & white adjustments, and add tweaks to contrast, texture, vibrance, saturation, etc.

Note: I use that order based on my adoption of Topaz AI Clear years ago. In my studies at that time, I discovered that it's easy to impact the noise profile with certain adjustments and that would reduce the effectiveness of Topaz. Since it worked then, I still use that sequence with Denoise.

At that point I simply selected "Edit in" PS 2021 from LR and opened processed image in PS. I chose: Edit, Sky Replacement...

The interface that followed allowed me to choose from some included skys. I clicked thru them & found one that looked decent and moved the sliders a bit to size & darken as necessary and them saved it. The whole sky exercise took just a couple minutes.

When I said it was so easy that "even I could do it", that was a huge plug for just how easy this was.

Some may not be onboard with this sort of change, but it was intriguing to me to try.

I guess when there are no birds around, I can now start looking for "skys". :cool:

Real Name
Randy
Hey Randy,

It was ridiculously simple.

Fact: I suck with Photoshop. For some reason, I've always had some sort of phobia of it & seem to "lock up" whenever I attempt to use it.

I have it because it's part of my Abobe CC subscription and I use LR as my main tool.

I saw an article similar to the PetaPixel link Mike posted above & for some unexplainable reason I decided to give it a whirl - and I'm glad I did. If for no other reason, it was a milestone in my relationship with PS. Lol!

FWIW, my process with most of my images (currently) is to perform basic exposure, highlight, shadow, black, & white adjustments & crop in LR. Then, I'll use the "edit in" feature to jump over to Topaz Denoise AI & tweak as necessary, then save and when back in LR, I'll set temp & tint, then recheck basic exposure, highlight, shadow, black, & white adjustments, and add tweaks to contrast, texture, vibrance, saturation, etc.

Note: I use that order based on my adoption of Topaz AI Clear years ago. In my studies at that time, I discovered that it's easy to impact the noise profile with certain adjustments and that would reduce the effectiveness of Topaz. Since it worked then, I still use that sequence with Denoise.

At that point I simply selected "Edit in" PS 2021 from LR and opened processed image in PS. I chose: Edit, Sky Replacement...

The interface that followed allowed me to choose from some included skys. I clicked thru them & found one that looked decent and moved the sliders a bit to size & darken as necessary and them saved it. The whole sky exercise took just a couple minutes.

When I said it was so easy that "even I could do it", that was a huge plug for just how easy this was.

Some may not be onboard with this sort of change, but it was intriguing to me to try.

I guess when there are no birds around, I can now start looking for "skys". :cool:
Thanks Phil

Well eventually it was going to happen.......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
statuemask1.1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Could not sleep again so went out for a walk.
(note shortly before a fog came in)
anlægget1.2.jpg
anlægget1.3.jpg
anlægget1.4.jpg
anlægget1.5.jpg
anlægget1.8.jpg
anlægget1.9.jpg

Testing the Z6II - 1st day out, using 600F4 + 1.4xTC

50579826501_8db264b0d1_o.jpg

50579856741_826ea4c985_o.jpg

This one is 100% crop
50579443803_c2fa171c58_o.jpg

50580412071_3e7e154fc2_o.jpg

50580411706_49d55d4d1d_o.jpg

50580543337_cee2cf8096_o.jpg

Here's a couple from Day 2, using 600F4 + 2xTC. It takes longer to process files until Adobe updates their apps to support the new files. I have been using Capture NX-D to convert the NEF's to TIF's and then using a close to normal process.

50582219906_bb388178ed_o.jpg

50582342957_abd331ae8d_o.jpg

50581485708_2c972bcf58_o.jpg

50582220101_512539da4a_o.jpg

Really nice 2 sets PhilM_TX.
How is the autofocus on Z6ii body?

Thanks Bob.

From the very limited amount of shooting time I have, I can say that the AF is "noticeably" quicker, but there are still some conditions (low contrast) that is struggles with, and I feel like my D500 would not have issues in the same conditions.

I will say that the tracking feature in Auto-Area AF-Mode is significantly better and more sticky. EVF lag is also noticeably improved.

I'm gonna try to get out with my 500PF during lunch today & see how it does under conditions that are more "typical" to me. Thus far, I've been using the big glass with TC's.

Thanks Bob.

From the very limited amount of shooting time I have, I can say that the AF is "noticeably" quicker, but there are still some conditions (low contrast) that is struggles with, and I feel like my D500 would not have issues in the same conditions.

I will say that the tracking feature in Auto-Area AF-Mode is significantly better and more sticky. EVF lag is also noticeably improved.

I'm gonna try to get out with my 500PF during lunch today & see how it does under conditions that are more "typical" to me. Thus far, I've been using the big glass with TC's.
Thank-you PhilM_TX for this valuable info.
Appreciate. ?

Z7 with S 24mm prime at f5.6.
Roadworks in the rain.

1E99FAAA-4ACE-4F79-AC44-88B98CA4A049.jpeg

A little something different...

I sold my F Mount 70-200 & replaced it with the Z mount version. These are some of my 1st images with it. Sadly, I went out mid-day so the sun was horribly bright, so I looked for shade.

I think I'm really going to like this one.

50618900172_a129155e3a_o.jpg

50618056838_26ea502c29_o.jpg

50618899952_a62a029f1d_o.jpg

A couple more from my walk around that the park yesterday.

Edit, add: Evidently, if you shoot @ ISO lower than native minimum (L0.3, L0.7, L1.0) there is no ISO displayed..??.. That's not been something I've done much, but it was soooo bright I was trying to lower exposure w/o going crazy w/ SS and keeping an OoF BG.

50619391542_4671b37416_o.jpg

50619233716_6497cb27c2_o.jpg

50619339992_dfbf38aeda_o.jpg

50619319097_40ce748d4e_o.jpg

50618902132_1c084cfbc6_o.jpg

50618900687_e093b43def_o.jpg

50618900562_cec00fbf59_o.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom